Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLitwiller View Post
    You can do the comm board swap with both a GSM or a CDMA phone, but the CDMA is a lot easier. The GSM and CDMA antennas are different, so if you are moving your Sprint comm board into a GSM phone, you need to disassemble a lot more and swap more parts to move your CDMA antenna into the new phone.
    Do you have documentation for this? Pictures? I swapped my Sprint comm board into a GSM phone and I didn't have to swap any parts other than those described on the authoritative page: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals. I've never made the switch with a CDMA Pre2 but I can't imagine it being significantly easier (or harder).
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just converted a Verizon Pre 2 to Sprint.

It really is worth it! With a little practice, the hardware swap is a snap. I did it while hopped-up on Percosets (just had knee surgery), so trust me - you can do it too

Unfortunately I couldn't retain my old profile details, so I have to re-buy apps. Oh well. Still, if you want to stick with Sprint, this is the way to go. Don't hesitate!
    khazoury likes this.
    Is this common that most have to re-buy apps? Because, I'm thinking about it.
    I was very careful about my palm profile. I read up on the upgrade carefully before doing it and did not have any problems with my profile. All my apps downloaded fine, but the data contained in the apps was not restored.

I would recommend using a Preware app called Save/Restore. It is able to save the stored data within apps, and restore it afterwards. Strong note though: not all apps are compatible with Save/Restore. When you do the Save portion, it will tell you which apps it can back up and which it can't. You'll have to manually back up those other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Phil View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

Since my Pre - is becoming very difficult to use I am at a crossroads. I don't want an Android phone on Sprint. I can't even wait for AT&T or Verizon to come out with a Pre 3 because my phone is becoming unusable. That being said I was hoping for some advice on getting a Verizon Pre 2 and swapping it to Sprint. Technically I think I can do it. Here are the things I need advice on...

- Price and where to buy. Who has found it cheapest and where?

- Issues after the swap on Sprint. I've read about random issues here and there but does anyone have a general consensus on if the problems are rare or what?

- If I'm losing my data connection often and having to reset (airplane mode on then off) is this going to make a difference when I swap parts from the Pre - to a Pre 2?

Thanks guys in advance!
    I would say if you can find one for about $200 range then it would be worth it. If you get over $300 then that becomes more of a personal decision for if you want to spend that much on the phone. I'm holding out hope the Pre3 will come out on Sprint, but figured that it would be earliest of Fall/Winter if it came. My wife's not up for a new phone for another year, so I needed to stay on Sprint or find a good divorce lawyer likely. I needed something better and this phone was it as the Android phones weren't for me. There is issues, but there is issues with just about every piece of technology. I can go through the list of iPhone issues my users have as well as the BB, Android, etc. But the speed, lack of "too many cards" and other errors I was getting with my launch day Pre- made the whole conversion and cost worth it in no time!
    I was wondering what does the pre2 have that the original pre doesnt? I am thinking of doing the frankenfpre pre thing, but not sure it can do what I like it to do. I just reactivated my origion pre from an HTC Evo. (that should say how much faith and love I have for webOS!)

1. Does the pre have an option to select multiple pics to send vis mms or email??
    2. What about flash video support in web pages, not youtube.
    3. What will I be losing if I do the frankenpre, versus having the 1.4.5 pre 1??

If there is a discusion that has all the differences already stated somewhere, can someone point that out to me....
    Quote Originally Posted by hu5t13man View Post
    1. Does the pre have an option to select multiple pics to send vis mms or email??
    2. What about flash video support in web pages, not youtube.
    3. What will I be losing if I do the frankenpre, versus having the 1.4.5 pre 1??
    1. No multiple selection. You can add multiple images to an email one at a time. Pretty much like your current Pre I think.
    2. Yes, but it's not perfect
    3. Nothing significant that I can think of. Some apps and patches will no longer work, but you'll gain speed and things like exhibition mode and card stacks to offset that. What I miss most are the launcher patches (4x4 and glass effect mostly).
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

8.    #28  
    Will the native Sprint Apps work like NASCAR and the Navigation app? It sounded like there was a way to make them work in one of the posts that I read. is that true?
    I wonder wats really the diff between pre 2 and pre- besides the 1Gz processor. I have been looking and seems just about the same as the pre- no?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    It feels night-and-day different to me. The hardware is much more solid, and the performance is significantly better. I couldn't possibly go back.

Added bonus: used Pre 2s are cheaper than ever on eBay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Phil View Post
    Will the native Sprint Apps work like NASCAR and the Navigation app? It sounded like there was a way to make them work in one of the posts that I read. is that true?
    Didn't care about NASCAR, but got Navigation working, it was easy. See this post for details.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12