Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    My Pre2 (an upgrade from a Treo 680) came with 2.0.1 and got 2.1 OTA not long after I setup the phone on 7/5. I moved pretty quickly to install Preware and some of the coolest patches. Generally, the phone has been working well and I just noticed the lack of backups after stumbling on an old thread on the subject.

I've scoured this forum and found several other threads on this issue with 1.x.x, but found only one thread with reference to it with 2.1. That thread went quite before a solution was found.

Like people from those old threads, my automatic Palm Profile backup stopped working (just two days after I got the phone). My last automatic backup was 7/7 and I can't get a manual backup to go. Attempting to "backup now" gets about one-third of the way then returns "backup failed". I tried turning backups off and on, but forcing a backup still yields the same result.

The old suggestion seems to have been to Doctor the phone. Something I do NOT want to do, especially since it does not sound like a permanent fix.

Could it be a patch conflict? As this started on the second day, it would have to be something early. I started with ModeSwitcher and related Advanced System patches. I read most of the MS2.x thread and no one there mentioned a problem with automatic backups.

Anyone else with 2.1 having this problem?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Ah, make that two 2.x threads, forgot about this one: Backup failed and Purchase Failed . That's a newer one, but no solution.
    If you think it is a patch you can try uninstalling them one by one and doing a restart. Then try a back up after shutting down and removing the battery for a few minutes.
    Unfortunately, when you turned back up off and then on again it wipes your back ups from palm's servers. Unless this has been changed since 1.35 it still holds true. I know because I contacted palm about the problem. They told me I would have to doctor and had I not turned off back up they could have pushed an older back up to my phone and that possibly my last back up was corrupted.
    There is a thread in the forums on how to back up and email yourself all your contacts in one file. You can copy all and email yourself your text convos. Save/Restore creates an html file of them for viewing. It does not restore them. Not sure what to do about your calendar or memos. Try save/restore and use notes for your memos.
    That way you would have some of your info.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I knew the old backup would be blown away, but it was already 14 days old. I'll have to try uninstalling stuff.

Is this not a common problem? Seems like it was for 1.x.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks to Kremmen from the thread: Backup failed and Purchase Failed for his link to a fix file sent to him by HP. It worked for me, at least one time. Finger's crossed I get normal daily backups now.