1.    #1  
    Wanted to share my experience with a used FrankenPre2 on Sprint.

I have a Pre- that's been suffering. I recently decided to purchase a Pre2 and do the FrankenPre route. Found and purchased a Pre2 from a community member. It was previously a functioning FrankenPre2 on Sprint which was originally an unlocked GSM purchased from HP.

I tried activating the com board which came with the phone, but it wouldn't get the data signal. Even spoke with Sprint, who could see the phone and give me the MSL data for it, but it wouldn't activate. Did the ##786# thing a bunch of times, no luck.

I backed up my entire Pre- and dove in with the surgery.

Then I swapped com boards, and got the same results. I tried using the "activate a new phone" on Sprint's website, which could see my com board in the Pre2, but it couldn't get a data signal. Did the resets and waited, nothing. So I swapped the com boards back.

Once fired back up, my old Pre- wouldn't get a data signal. It was perfectly happy running, I could make and receive calls, but no cell data. I left it alone over night.

This morning I performed a hard reset on my Pre-. It got a data signal on the first try and made me re-sign in to my Palm Profile. It downloaded all my settings and programs and it was back up and running (although missing my overclocking, my Preware and some patches).

I then proceeded to assemble the software to treat the Pre2 as if it was a brand new conversion. I set up the meta-Doctor and got it ready to go. I then shut off my Pre- and swapped the com boards.

As soon as I connected the USB cord and put in the battery (at the prompting of the Doctor), the Pre2 started up and activated itself. I logged into my Palm Profile and it proceeded to download all my programs and contacts. The meta-Doctor never even connected to the phone!

Its now up and running fine. I've only had 2 issues so far:
    1) My Yahoo account wouldn't connect. Its my default account, and I ended up having to delete it and reconnect. Works perfectly now.
    2) TealAuto downloaded from Backup, but I was quickly notified of an update. I ran the update, but the install failed. I have even deleted the program and redownloaded it from the HP App Catalog, but the install fails. I have an email in to Teal to see if they can shed some light on the situation.
    Last edited by StaceyS; 07/20/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Its now up and running fine. I've only had 2 issues so far:
    1) My Yahoo account wouldn't connect. Its my default account, and I ended up having to delete it and reconnect. Works perfectly now.
    2) TealAuto downloaded from Backup, but I was quickly notified of an update. I ran the update, but the install failed. I have even deleted the program and redownloaded it from the HP App Catalog, but the install fails. I have an email in to Teal to see if they can shed some light on the situation.
    I had the same issue with all of my accounts that I signed into as well, after a reboot and switched to WiFi to download stuff quicker I was able to get them all signed on and synching. Facebook, LinkedIn, Gmail, Corporate Email all had problems signing in until I rebooted it during some of the other work/installs.
  3.    #3  
    So, discovered a problem. I can't install any apps. I think the last app I installed was Preware's Save and Restore. After that, I haven't been able to reinstall apps or install new ones. The apps download fine, then I get a quick "Install Failed" banner then a prompt to restart the phone. When the phone restarts, it gives me the Install Failed banner and that's it.

I've even had some issue removing some apps. Preware refuses to get deleted.

I'm going to try turning off Back-up and seeing if I can't clean up the failed installs (deleting the apps that won't work), but if that doesn't work, I'm thinking I will need to meta-Doctor after all.

Thoughts?
    I had a hard time following what you did and didn't do. But you can't activate a sprint comms board when it's in a Pre2. The sprint software to do the activation doesn't exist in the meta-doctored webOS that gets installed on a Pre2.

So the procedure must be this:
    1. Make sure your pre- (or pre+) is activated and fully functional on sprint
    2. Then (and only) then perform the franken pre surgery inserting the activated sprint comms board into the pre2
    3. Create the meta-doctor and use it to doctor your Pre2.

In your case, if you're still having problems here's my recommendation:
    1. run a stock sprint webOS doctor on your pre-
    2. Call Sprint to have them activate the Pre- on your sprint account - make sure it's working the way it should be
    3. Then perform the franken pre surgery - inserting the activated sprint comms board into the pre2.
    4. Create the meta-doctor and use it to doctor your Pre2.

$0.02
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5.    #5  
    Long Story short: Did the whole swap EXCEPT running the modified Doctor, and got service and most functionality.
    Here's what didn't work:
    1)Yahoo Account needed to be removed and reconnected.
    2)Apps wouldn't install
    3)Text messages would get sent garbled, no txts recieved.

Tried a "Full Erase". It solved the app install problem, but text messages were still a no-go.

Just ran the modified Doctor. Palm Profile is syncing now. Text messages are functioning.
    I'll follow up with another report once the profile is complete.
  6.    #6  
    Update: Everything up and running. Have had to do a number of restarts, but it seems like the phone is stable. Had a problem where the accounts, Wi-Fi settings and GPS preference apps wouldn't load, but a restart seemed to solve it.

I'm going to run the phone as is (only homebrew loaded is Preware and SaveandRestore) before tweaking, just to make sure its stable, as I depend on the phone for business.

Thanks to the WebOS-Internals and this forum for all the help. Donating now!