07/19/2011, 05:45 PM
Wanted to share my experience with a used FrankenPre2 on Sprint.
I have a Pre- that's been suffering. I recently decided to purchase a Pre2 and do the FrankenPre route. Found and purchased a Pre2 from a community member. It was previously a functioning FrankenPre2 on Sprint which was originally an unlocked GSM purchased from HP.
I tried activating the com board which came with the phone, but it wouldn't get the data signal. Even spoke with Sprint, who could see the phone and give me the MSL data for it, but it wouldn't activate. Did the ##786# thing a bunch of times, no luck.
I backed up my entire Pre- and dove in with the surgery.
Then I swapped com boards, and got the same results. I tried using the "activate a new phone" on Sprint's website, which could see my com board in the Pre2, but it couldn't get a data signal. Did the resets and waited, nothing. So I swapped the com boards back.
Once fired back up, my old Pre- wouldn't get a data signal. It was perfectly happy running, I could make and receive calls, but no cell data. I left it alone over night.
This morning I performed a hard reset on my Pre-. It got a data signal on the first try and made me re-sign in to my Palm Profile. It downloaded all my settings and programs and it was back up and running (although missing my overclocking, my Preware and some patches).
I then proceeded to assemble the software to treat the Pre2 as if it was a brand new conversion. I set up the meta-Doctor and got it ready to go. I then shut off my Pre- and swapped the com boards.
As soon as I connected the USB cord and put in the battery (at the prompting of the Doctor), the Pre2 started up and activated itself. I logged into my Palm Profile and it proceeded to download all my programs and contacts. The meta-Doctor never even connected to the phone!
Its now up and running fine. I've only had 2 issues so far:
1) My Yahoo account wouldn't connect. Its my default account, and I ended up having to delete it and reconnect. Works perfectly now.
2) TealAuto downloaded from Backup, but I was quickly notified of an update. I ran the update, but the install failed. I have even deleted the program and redownloaded it from the HP App Catalog, but the install fails. I have an email in to Teal to see if they can shed some light on the situation.