Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I still have my June 2009 Pre - and other than the USB crack, it is still going strong. 3 other family members have gone happily to the Evo, but I really would like to stick to WebOS. I've got a KILLER deal on Sprint for my 5 family lines, so I won't be changing carriers.

So... I'm considering a sprintified Pre 2 as an option. But, I don't really have the technical skills to go that route myself.

Am I out of luck?

Thanks,

McKay
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm either wanting to buy one that's already done or if I get a good enough deal, try to do it myself...
    There are services that will do the conversion for you, or you can post in the our Marketplace forum to find one to purchase.
    Thanks Newman, just dug in the thread and found a method I will use.. I will try to find a Pre 2 for good price or free (only if it's possible) then go to this WebOS World service to convert the Pre 2. Although I will still hold on the hope of Sprint Pre 3 - I get 150 dollar off upgrade in Oct, if Pre 3 actually won't come then I will go for Sprintfied Pre 2 I guess.

For mckay, if you are interested in this method.. You should check out the link: Device Services | WebOS World
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks, I'll have a look!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Looks like WebOS World is the way to go for me. Time to start looking for a Pre2.

Thanks all!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    The instructions for this are pretty good on webos internals wiki. I picked up a Pre 2 off craigslist for pretty cheap and went ahead with the conversion from my pre - to a friggin sweet ***** frankenpre. I should have done this soooooo long ago. I can wait for the pre 3 or even the pre 4 at this point. Frankenpre is just right. What's another 2 years for the pre 3 to come to sprint anyway? hahahha
    This may be a dumb question and I've tried looking a bit, but can you Sprint Pre 2 a GSM Pre 2? I guess I can't find a definitive answer on this so I wanted to ask. What I have seen indicates yes but want to hear from someone thats done it or seen it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    This may be a dumb question and I've tried looking a bit, but can you Sprint Pre 2 a GSM Pre 2? I guess I can't find a definitive answer on this so I wanted to ask. What I have seen indicates yes but want to hear from someone thats done it or seen it done.
    Yes. And I think most frankenpre are gsm pre2
    Just an FYI you will lose your Sprint Navi
    well you can get it agai with linux no?
    so its confirmed you can use a gsm pre 2 for a sprint frankenpre?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhizx View Post
    yes. I believe you have to keep the bezel from the pre- and use it on the pre 2 GSM version so change the speaker when do you the mod.

Just to chime in on the thread, I'm a launch pre- sprint user who just (like in the last 15min) finished the sprint franken pre2 instructions from WebOs-Internals. It was EASY! Those guys are awesome. I had a couple dead pre- phones that I practiced on, but overall there is nothing to worry about.

I bought a pre 2 (verizon) on ebay for like $250. Sure that is some $$ but I am off contract so if this doesn't last and Sprint doesn't get the pre3 (I can pray right?) I can do what I want and not worry about contracts.

Just holding on cause I don't want no freaking 4" screen. If an android phone came out in a smaller form factor I might consider though. Sprint is king for me.
    Awesome thanks for the info. Just want to note Sprint Nav is TERRIBLE. Sure its probably great if traveling across the country but on local streets I find it to be just bad. I think the only Sprint app I use is Sprint TV but I can live without that.
    huh? What are you talking about? SPRINT NAV is not terrible. You must have done something wrong that urs is messed up. I should know, I have a spare pre- with 2.1 and I used it a lot while I I had it. It's the same thing. As a matter of fact the 2.1 NAV let me avoid tollways too. But no, he must have done something wrong. That's why we have to pay more attention in the instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Just an FYI you will lose your Sprint Navi
    Actually, not true. You'll have to do some work, but there's a thread that shows how to restore the Sprint apps back, including the Nav.
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhizx View Post
    Yes, you definitely can use a GSM Pre 2 as your base.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I have a franken pre 2 that used the unlocked GSM pre 2 and my old regular sprint pre. I am looking to sell it but haven't had luck locally (Miami, Fl) through craigslist. If you're interested PM me to discuss options.
    yes, what appsotutely said, there are ways to get Sprint Nav back on and others.