Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I'm currently on contact with TalkMobile. This is actually Carphone Warehouse branded Vodafone.

I'm worried that when my Pre2 arrives it won't have the right settings built in, in order to access the Internet over 3G

Can I enter them manually?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yes, if the conection for activation doesn't work it then gives you the option to edit the connection settings, as long as you have the settings you will be able to enter them without a problem.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Cheers.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Did you manage to sort this as I'm currently in the same boat.

Went to T-Mobile which worked perfectly but couldnt port my old BT Anywhere number to them. It would only go to Voda/O2 networks.

So went to Talkmobile, they assured me it would be fine. Yes got my new SIM and the number is ported across but 3G wont work. Called them and the system has the settings for the Pre and Pre+ in there but no send button to issue out the settings.

They are now checking with the tech folks.

I have a feeling I'll be returning this contract, getting another PAC code and going to O2 next (not that I want to as they are really expensive).

Either that or back to T-Mobile and just get all my business cards etc. re-printed.

You just mention you have a Palm Pre 2 to the folks at the carriers and they just go "you have a what??"
    I did this to setup a pre+ with 2.1 installed (so essentially same as pre2) for use on the Tesco network - which piggybacks on O2 - but with different wireless settings. Once I had the settings from a simple web search it was pretty easy. If you can't get the settings from the web then someone in customer services can provide- but you need to get the right person who knows what YOU are talking about and not what their system tells them to say...
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Thanks for that. The phone has the vodafone wap settings in the network section but it just wont connect to the 3G part of the network. The BT Anywhere SIM (Again a Vodafone piggyback) had the same vodafone settings and wouldnt work either.

I've looked up the Vodafone settings on the web and tried both types to no avail.

I dont know what the issue is as the T-Mobile SIM worked straight away with no tweaks or hassle.

I reckon the Pre's are just blocked out as unsupported in some way maybe.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Actually just fixed it!

Just had a notion that maybe Talkmobile has different settings to the Vodafone ones.

Yes they do. Typed them in and bingo! Saves another contract cancellation.

Quite why the Vodafone settings go in as standard???
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Just switched to Talk Mobile and had to enter settings manually which was not too difficult once you look it up on the web site. Although I feel the data network is not as good as O2 at places that I normally go as it keeps switching back and forth from 3G to GPRS which is killing my battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by joz292 View Post
    Just switched to Talk Mobile and had to enter settings manually which was not too difficult once you look it up on the web site. Although I feel the data network is not as good as O2 at places that I normally go as it keeps switching back and forth from 3G to GPRS which is killing my battery.

Changing back and forth between 3G and GPRS should not kill your battery unless it is doing it many times a minute. In fact it should save battery whilst in GPRS mode. I would say with Vodafone their 3G enabled base stations are probably further away from where you are than with O2, and so when you are on 3G the phone is simply using more power to keep the connection.