Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Also, just to cancel out some possibilities, when you plug your phone into your computer, does your phone pop up with a notification to give you either option to go into usb mode or just charge? If so, there is nothing wrong with you Pre 2 USB port and its completely on the Windows side.
    No, I no longer get the option for USB mode or charge. I don't even see the little icon in the bottom right of the screen that allows to switch between USB and charge.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Are you plugging the phone into your computer before you run webOS doctor or after it tells you to plug it in?
    I plug in the USB cable after the doctor asks me to connect my phone.
    I also tried to connect the phone before running webOS doctor but it does not make any difference.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    No, I no longer get the option for USB mode or charge. I don't even see the little icon in the bottom right of the screen that allows to switch between USB and charge.
    Did you install any patches that would take that away? There are some. If not, another thing to check is plugging your phone into an outlet and into the side of the phone. Does it charge? If not, it could be that your micro USB port is bad.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Did you install any patches that would take that away? There are some. If not, another thing to check is plugging your phone into an outlet and into the side of the phone. Does it charge? If not, it could be that your micro USB port is bad.
    Before completely erasing the phone I had indeed installed a patch to get rid of the question. This did not get rid of the icon though. The icon somehow disappeared later.

    When I connect the USB cable to the charger I get the same result as with connecting to a PC. The battery icon changes to show that the phone is charging but the best it does is hold the current charge, even with no apps running and the phone and BT and Wifi switched off. Right now the charge never rises above 53%.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    Before completely erasing the phone I had indeed installed a patch to get rid of the question. This did not get rid of the icon though. The icon somehow disappeared later.

    When I connect the USB cable to the charger I get the same result as with connecting to a PC. The battery icon changes to show that the phone is charging but the best it does is hold the current charge, even with no apps running and the phone and BT and Wifi switched off. Right now the charge never rises above 53%.
    Maybe someone else can correct me if Im wrong, but if your battery is low, I think the doctor charges the battery to a certain point before starting the recovery process. I've never tried doctoring with my battery that low though. I have just noticed it said something along the lines of charging battery please wait or something. I dont remember. It appears that your USB port is working though.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Maybe someone else can correct me if Im wrong, but if your battery is low, I think the doctor charges the battery to a certain point before starting the recovery process. I've never tried doctoring with my battery that low though. I have just noticed it said something along the lines of charging battery please wait or something. I dont remember. It appears that your USB port is working though.
    Like I said, webOS doctor never sees the phone.
    So I never get to click "next" to start the recovery, or anyhting else.
  7. #27  
    I know you've said you reinstalled the novacom drivers and all. So I dont know what is wrong. If nothing else works, you can always just take it into a Verizon store (or any other store that carries webOS devices) and they should be able to recover it for you. I heard they do that. Or they can replace it for you. Im sorry I'm not any help. I dont understand what the problem could be. If you go into a store though, dont mention that you installed any homebrew stuff on it though.
  8. #28  
    Two days ago my daughter's phone was patched for the first time. I used my family Vista machine and it worked great. I used WebOSQuickInstall (WOSQI) to add Preware and then I removed it because many of these patches are to provide functions I want her to leave intact and not monkey with. After removing Preware I remembered a patch I had forgotten and went to install with WOSQI - it did not see her phone anymore.

    I think I disconnected the phone and shut the computer (putting it into standby) without stopping WOSQI and somehow this made Novacomm irritated. In the end rather than trying to restart Novacomm I just rebooted and low and behold it worked. Before I did this I was getting the same symptoms mentioned I would insert the usb and charging would start but no "just charge" "usb mode" prompt would occur and the icon to switch back and forth was also missing. I realize that Novacomm is not required for USB mode but I wonder if it was hung and if something like this is involved in this Pre2 situation.

    In my case I was able to take her phone to another computer and verify that USB reacted correctly on that computer.

    My suggestion is to ask around and see if anyone has a Pre anywhere close by and see if you can come use their computer to see if the symptoms remain the same or are different. There is a possibility that this is related to something quirky about your installation / software.
  9.    #29  
    Thanks.
    I already tried the webOS doctor on another machine and the result was the same.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I know you've said you reinstalled the novacom drivers and all. So I dont know what is wrong. If nothing else works, you can always just take it into a Verizon store (or any other store that carries webOS devices) and they should be able to recover it for you. I heard they do that. Or they can replace it for you. Im sorry I'm not any help. I dont understand what the problem could be. If you go into a store though, dont mention that you installed any homebrew stuff on it though.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I might give a phone shop a try.
    Not sure it is worth the hassle, with the Palm Pre 3 being soon released.
    Buying a second hand Pre 2 might be cheaper too.
    Thanks anyway :-)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    Thanks.
    I already tried the webOS doctor on another machine and the result was the same.
    Sorry I think you missed my point or maybe my scenario wasn't clear. Did you try it on a known working machine - one that works correctly with some other Pre, PrePlus, etc. or did you only try it on another machine?

    The question is geared towards finding a machine KNOWN to be working with webOS devices and THEN tested with your device.

    Sorry to be pedantic and specific but the distinction is important.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Sorry I think you missed my point or maybe my scenario wasn't clear. Did you try it on a known working machine - one that works correctly with some other Pre, PrePlus, etc. or did you only try it on another machine?

    The question is geared towards finding a machine KNOWN to be working with webOS devices and THEN tested with your device.

    Sorry to be pedantic and specific but the distinction is important.
    My reasoning is a bit different.
    If I connect my Pre to another PC there is no reason that this other PC should not at least acknowledge the connection of a new device.
    I did that and the other PC did not acknowledge the connection of a new device. Therefore I conclude that the USB data connection of my Pre is somehow dead.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    My reasoning is a bit different.
    If I connect my Pre to another PC there is no reason that this other PC should not at least acknowledge the connection of a new device.
    I did that and the other PC did not acknowledge the connection of a new device. Therefore I conclude that the USB data connection of my Pre is somehow dead.
    Let's talk this through a bit more:
    1. Is the other PC one that you have NOT installed any palm related software (no IDK, no novaterm, etc.)?
    2. Did it work correctly with this phone from a charging perspective before?
    3. Is it possible to find a virgin PC if the answer to number 1 was no.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Let's talk this through a bit more:
    1. Is the other PC one that you have NOT installed any palm related software (no IDK, no novaterm, etc.)?
    2. Did it work correctly with this phone from a charging perspective before?
    3. Is it possible to find a virgin PC if the answer to number 1 was no.
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiG63 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    This is my first post here but it is one for a very serious situation.
    Here is the short history of what happened to my Palm Pre2

    When I bought it it worked perfectly fine. (apart from some trouble with my profile that would not migrate from Pre+ to Pre2)
    I installed loads of apps and even Preware homebrew pass and it still worked worked perfectly.
    Then one day I found that the phone had severely crashed in my absence and that is when the trouble started.
    After that crash I had to reinstall the OS (can't remember what exactly I did, I think it was like a first use configuration).

    One of the symtoms after the reinstall were that that the patches that I nstalled and thought had to be gone still somehow worked. On the other hand they did not show as installed in the Preware menus, nor could I reinstall or erase them. Using the emergency tools that Preware proposes did not help either.

    Things got worse gradually, and since reinstalling the webOS recovery using Preware had not helpe either, I decided to do a full erase of the phone.
    So I redid the installation like I had done when I first used it. The only difference was that the App catalogue application proposed to recover all my apps - without the homebrew apps of course.

    The only problem is that this reinstall did not solve my problems either.

    Here is a list of what currently does not work

    - Tapping the top bar (middle to right) no longer shows the appropriate menus,
    - the battery does not load properly - at best, while keeping the USB cable plugged in, the Pre2 holds the current charge or charges only when I switch it off via the device info app (provided by chance it stays off),
    - the on/off button can no longer be used to switch the phone off (if you press the button for a couple of seconds the phone makes a sound but the off menu does not show)
    - the phone is no longer recognized by any PC - not as a Pre phone but neither as any device - it is as if I had not connected the phone to the PC at all - I already tried a new USB cable too

    Does anybody think there is any hope for full recovery?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks.


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #36  
    I'm not sure if you saw this, but this may help:

    The Doctor's "Next" button is grayed out!
    That is, when you're asked to plug in your device, you have plugged it in, and nothing happens. If you have a terminal window open, you may see a message similar to the following repeating indefinitely:

    Jun 7, 2011 9:33:48 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jun 7, 2011 9:33:48 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 0
    Jun 7, 2011 9:33:49 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jun 7, 2011 9:33:49 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 0
    The first thing to try is simply unplugging the USB cable from your device, and then plugging it back in again. Often this will cause the device to be detected and all will be well. If that does not work, do the following:

    Windows
    Right-Click "My Computer", choose "Manage".
    Click "Services", then on the right find "Novacom".
    Stop the service, then start it
    Try The Doctor again

    If that doesn't work, the next step might be to go here: Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  17.    #37  
    Well, It seems there is no way to save my Pre2.
    Thanks for trying to help.
  18. #38  
    You mentioned that when you plug the phone into the wall charger, it maintains 53%, but doesn't seem to go up. Do you have Dr. Battery or Battery Monitor so that you can take a look at the current going to the battery? If it does not go up to a couple 100 mA's than I would say there is something wrong with your USB port on the phone (hardware issue) OR the cable is bad. I don't know if you mentioned it earlier, but did you try a different cable?
    Last edited by jimijames; 07/15/2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: oops
  19. #39  
    Instead of doctoring it on windows, maybe give ubuntu (linux) a try. Its worth a shot. And make sure the pre is in recovery mode as well.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    You mentioned that when you plug the phone into the wall charger, it maintains 53%, but doesn't seem to go up. Do you have Dr. Battery or Battery Monitor so that you can take a look at the current going to the battery? If it does not go up to a couple 100 mA's than I would say there is something wrong with your USB port on the phone (hardware issue) OR the cable is bad. I don't know if you mentioned it earlier, but did you try a different cable?
    It is quite likely that something is wrong with the USB port. If it is I can't fix it.
    It's probably not the only problem but the main problem keeping me from fixing everything with webOS doctor.
    Yes I mentionned that I tried another, new, cable - to no avail.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions