1.    #1  
    Having a big problem with my Pre 2 and not sure what it is, why it happened or how to fix it. When I woke up this morning, I took my Pre 2 off its charger and checked its charge (100%) and got ready for work. On the way out the door, I checked my email real quick, then put the phone in my pocket and didnt' touch it again. When I got to work about 20 minutes later, I pulled the phone out of my pocket and pressed the power button to unlock it, but the screen wouldn't come on. I thought it was some weird battery thing, but strange that it would die so quickly. After getting up to my office, I pulled the battery, reinserted and restarted. When the boot screen came up, the Palm logo in the middle was flickering really bad and there were two additional partial Palm logos at the top and bottom of the screen. When it finally booted, the screen was just a flickering, jumbled mess. I have no idea what happened between putting in my pocket at home and taking it out of my pocket at work. It absolutely has not gotten wet or been dropped.

Any idea what this is? Will doctoring fix this????
  2.    #2  
    Apparently WebOS Doctor WON'T fix this problem. Just tried to run it and got a message saying it was unable to reset my phone. Any tips? I thought WebOS Doctor was the nuclear solution to any WebOS problem.
    You might get a faster, response over at WIRC. Have no idea myself, but there's usually a bunch of them over there.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    A flickering jumbled screen sounds like a hardware failure but please do not take my word for it as I am not an expert. I can suggest the following:

1. If this is a carrier subsidized contract Pre2 it should be eligible for a warranty exchange or repair (I'm not based in the US or other countries where Pre's are officially available on contract so others can step in to correct me if I am wrong.

2. You could try and get online with Palm Tech support but usually you would be routed to a call center of sorts and it takes ages to get your point across after which you realize you are dealing with someone behind a computer screen who has probably never seen or touched a Pre in real life.

3. You could try to run the on board tests if your screen is in in decent enough shape to at least make out what's written. The tests are under "System" (3rd launcher page) -> "Device Info" -> "Preferences" (drop down menu) -> "Tests" (4th item in drop down list". Here there are two options:

Quick Tests: Will run a set of four automated tests which could take several minutes.

Interactive Tests: There are separate tests to check hardware buttons, touch sensors, screen, audio, power.

I'm not sure if anything useful will turn up in any of these tests but most probably the quick tests should flag a hardware failure if any. Of course all of this is assuming that you are in some way able to read your screen and that the basic OS functions are accessible.

On a last note, I don't mean to nitpick but since you posted on the Pre2 forum I am assuming you have a Pre2 and if yes then if you are on 2.1 then you should be seeing an HP logo on start up not a Palm logo as you stated above.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
  5.    #5  
    Well, I took the battery out and just let the phone sit for a while. It seems to be working ok now. It's weird though...when I turned it on earlier and the screen was just a bunch of wavy, undulating lines, I did a screen capture. However, the screen capture looks perfectly fine...doesn't show any of the distortion. Also, the phone was in airplane mode when I turned it on, but I never put it in airplane mode.

Any thoughts on what could have caused any of this?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    A flickering jumbled screen sounds like a hardware failure but please do not take my word for it as I am not an expert. I can suggest the following:

1. If this is a carrier subsidized contract Pre2 it should be eligible for a warranty exchange or repair (I'm not based in the US or other countries where Pre's are officially available on contract so others can step in to correct me if I am wrong.

2. You could try and get online with Palm Tech support but usually you would be routed to a call center of sorts and it takes ages to get your point across after which you realize you are dealing with someone behind a computer screen who has probably never seen or touched a Pre in real life.

3. You could try to run the on board tests if your screen is in in decent enough shape to at least make out what's written. The tests are under "System" (3rd launcher page) -> "Device Info" -> "Preferences" (drop down menu) -> "Tests" (4th item in drop down list". Here there are two options:

Quick Tests: Will run a set of four automated tests which could take several minutes.

Interactive Tests: There are separate tests to check hardware buttons, touch sensors, screen, audio, power.

I'm not sure if anything useful will turn up in any of these tests but most probably the quick tests should flag a hardware failure if any. Of course all of this is assuming that you are in some way able to read your screen and that the basic OS functions are accessible.

On a last note, I don't mean to nitpick but since you posted on the Pre2 forum I am assuming you have a Pre2 and if yes then if you are on 2.1 then you should be seeing an HP logo on start up not a Palm logo as you stated above.
    Thanks for the tips. I do have a Pre 2 on Verizon, but it is not on 2.1 yet.

I couldn't access any of the phone's functions earlier b/c the screen was so distorted, I'd have no idea what I was tapping. So running any tests from the phone itself would not have been possible.
    Glad it's back to life. Sorry, if my instructions sounded like hand holding a beginner but I was assuming you could not really read clearly so you could at least try run the tests off by judging what to press on screen and then maybe auto send the diag results to HP-Palm tech service straight off the device.

Actually now that the device is back up I would still suggest running all of the tests once just to be sure.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them