Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there was a setting to prevent the Pre2 from divided my long text messages into shorter text messages. I would prefer one continuous message not several short messages.

Thanks,
    Brother
    The Pre2 does not do this. If the long messages you are sending appear as multiple short messages on the recipient's phone it can be because of 2 reasons:

1. The recipient has an old phone which cannot combine multiple messages into one message.

2. You are using a phone network which does not support this feature.

Very rarely you may have an incoming message which may split into two on receipt or the same thing may happen to your outgoing message but usually this happens due to network congestion where a long multiple message string gets interrupted to allow other traffic and appears on the receiving end as separate messages with differing time stamps.

Otherwise I have never seen this as an issue on the PalmOS (Treo 170, 270, 600, 650 & 680) phones as well as the webOS phones (Pre - & Pre 2) that I have used to date.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
  3.    #3  
    As far as I know it only shows up on my phone as multiple messages.
    message length is a carrier limit. That's the "S" in SMS (short).
    mafu6 and LordSecksie like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    message length is a carrier limit. That's the "S" in SMS (short).
    Short Message Short?

You can't change how the Pre splits up messages, because carriers have a specific "size" of each message, so if it exceeds greater than say 10 kb, it splits it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    SMS messages can not exceed 160 characters. That would be the SHORT in Short Messaging Service. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $that$ $is$ $pretty$ $much$ $a$ $global$ $standard$, $or$ $at$ $least$ $a$ $US$ $standard$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $carriers$ $even$ $have$ $any$ $control$ $over$ $it$.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info. I will just have to shorten my short messages.
    or if you send a text message as a MMS (multi media service) WITHOUT a picture, I think you have up to 1000 characters .. I do this all the time and my messages are never broken up...