Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mu7efcer
  • 1 Post By Kazaam
  • 1 Post By Loiter
  1.    #1  
    I have installed modeswitcher but do not nderstand it at all, i have looked at the manual and wiki pqge and through threads but its too technical. i need a step by step guide to get me stared.

At the moment I want wifi to stay off unless any of my apps need to use it to sync my email every hour, etc
    Me too. I consider myself some what technical but after playing with mode switcher several times I never figured it out. I downloaded it a couple months ago.

ET
  3.    #3  
    I have honestly tried really hard to get to grips with it but I just cant
    OK. Here's a simplified mode switcher summary. There are details in this that are missing. But it should be enough to give you an idea of how it works. From there you should be able to tinker or read the docs to figure out the rest.

There are a few things that you really need to know:
    1. Triggers - these are things that get detected. E.g.
      • Your battery level is at X%
      • Your phone is on touchstone
      • You're at GPS location Y
    2. Settings - these are things that get set. E.g.
      • Turn on wifi
      • Set volume
      • Set the screen brightness
    3. Actions - these are like settings, except with applications. You can do things like:
      • launch an app
      • enable another mode
      • restart the phone
    4. Modes - these are what tie the triggers, settings & actions together. E.g., when the triggers defined in a mode are detected, the settings and actions defined in that mode will be enabled.

A list of all available triggers and settings is here: Application:ModeSwitcher - WebOS Internals

More follows in succeeding post...
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 07/10/2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    OK. Here's a simplified mode switcher summary. There are details in this that are missing. But it should be enough to give you an idea of how it works. From there you should be able to tinker or read the docs to figure out the rest.

There are a few things that you really need to know:
    1. Triggers - these are things that get detected. E.g.
      • Your battery level is at X%
      • You're phone is on touchstone
      • You're at GPS location Y
    2. Settings - these are things that get set. E.g.
      • Turn on wifi
      • Set volume
      • Set the screen brightness
    3. Actions - these are like settings, except with applications. You can do things like:
      • launch an app
      • enable another mode
      • restart the phone
    4. Modes - these are what tie the triggers, settings & actions together. E.g., when the triggers defined in a mode are detected, the settings and actions defined in that mode will be enabled.

A list of all available triggers and settings is here: Application:ModeSwitcher - WebOS Internals

More follows in succeeding post...
    Thanks sooo much. Before, I was getting confused with trigger and actions and which is supposed to do what.

I will tinkle with the settings and ask for help (if u dont mind) if I get stuck but really appreciate this guide for dummies. lol
    So to get this working, here's what you do:
    1. Configure your default mode. This is the mode that is set when no other modes are active.
      • This mode has no triggers. What triggers default mode is when no other modes are active
      • Go into the settings tab and determine what settings you want to be enabled by default.
        • Any settings that you are going to modify in a non-default mode, you should probably set here. For example, you want wifi enabled in some mode, but disabled most of the time, you should disable it in the default mode. The other mode will enable it. Then when you leave the other mode, default mode will disable it.

If you don't disable it in default mode, then when the other mode enables it, it will be on until something changes it - either manually or some other mode.
      • Same is probably true for actions, but I don't use them at all, so you'll have to experiment.
    2. Now create a new mode. You'll need to
      • Give it a name
      • Configure the settings in this mode that you want different from the default mode
      • Determine what you want to trigger the mode, by configuring your triggers. You have a choice of how you want triggers to apply
        • Any trigger - this means that any individual trigger will cause the mode to go active (this is essentially a logical or for all the triggers you list)
        • All triggers - this means that all the triggers must be triggered before the mode will go active (this is essentially a logical and for the triggers you list)
        • All unique - Imagine that you have 3 application triggers - each for a different application. And two charger triggers (one for touchstone and one for wall charger). What would happen in this case, is you'd need at least one of the triggered applications to be detected AND one of the charger events to be detected. (This is essentially a logical OR between triggers of the same type and a logical AND between triggers of different types).
        • Additionally, there are groups. Don't worry about these for now.

One more post with an example using Mode Swither 2.x
  7.    #7  
    So to get this working, here's what you do:
    1. Configure your default mode. This is the mode that is set when no other modes are active.
      • This mode has no triggers. What triggers default mode is when no other modes are active
      • Go into the settings tab and determine what settings you want to be enabled by default.
        • Any settings that you are going to modify in a non-default mode, you should probably set here. For example, you want wifi enabled in some mode, but disabled most of the time, you should disable it in the default mode. The other mode will enable it. Then when you leave the other mode, default mode will disable it.

If you don't disable it in default mode, then when the other mode enables it, it will be on until something changes it - either manually or some other mode.
      • Same is probably true for actions, but I don't use them at all, so you'll have to experiment.
    2. Now create a new mode. You'll need to
      • Give it a name
      • Configure the settings in this mode that you want different from the default mode
      • Determine what you want to trigger the mode, by configuring your triggers. You have a choice of how you want triggers to apply
        • Any trigger - this means that any individual trigger will cause the mode to go active (this is essentially a logical or for all the triggers you list)
        • All triggers - this means that all the triggers must be triggered before the mode will go active (this is essentially a logical and for the triggers you list)
        • All unique - Imagine that you have 3 application triggers - each for a different application. And two charger triggers (one for touchstone and one for wall charger). What would happen in this case, is you'd need at least one of the triggered applications to be detected AND one of the charger events to be detected. (This is essentially a logical OR between triggers of the same type and a logical AND between triggers of different types).
        • Additionally, there are groups. Don't worry about these for now.

One more post with an example using Mode Swither 2.x
    Thanks! I understand all that. Just dont understand "All Unique" Sorry
    So here's a configuration that I have using Mode Switcher 2.x:

Default Mode:
    • Settings:
      • Connection Settings:
        • Phone: Enabled
        • Data: disabled
        • Wifi: Enabled
        • Bluetooth: Enabled
        • GPS: Enabled
    • Actions: none set

Custom Mode: DataOn
    • Settings:
      • Connection Settings:
        • Phone: Default (e.g. use the setting from the default mode here)
        • Data: enabled
        • Wifi: Default
        • Bluetooth: Default
        • GPS: Default
    • Triggers:
      • Behavior: All Unique
      • Display State: Unlocked
      • WI-FI Network: Disconnected

So here's what this does. By default, the EVDO data network on my phone will be disabled. But if both of the following are true:
    • I am *DISCONNECTED* from a wifi network AND
    • I have the screen unlocked

Then, mode switcher will enable the EVDO data network. E.g. any time I turn on my screen and there's no wifi network available, then I'll try to use the EVDO data network. But when my screen is off, or if my screen is on and I'm connected to a wifi network, then EVDO will be disabled.

BTW, this mode goes a *VERY* long way towards saving battery life when the phone is in your pocket. EVDO data mode takes up a *lot* of power.

Hope these posts help. And as a FYI, there's a "thanks" and "like" button if these are helpful posts. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 07/09/2011 at 04:03 PM.
    etphoto likes this.
  9.    #9  
    So here's a configuration that I have using Mode Switcher 2.x:

Default Mode:
    • Settings:
      • Connection Settings:
        • Phone: Enabled
        • Data: disabled
        • Wifi: Enabled
        • Bluetooth: Enabled
        • GPS: Enabled
    • Actions: none set

Custom Mode: DataOn
    • Settings:
      • Connection Settings:
        • Phone: Default (e.g. use the setting from the default mode here)
        • Data: enabled
        • Wifi: Default
        • Bluetooth: Default
        • GPS: Default
    • Triggers:
      • Behavior: All Unique
      • Display State: Unlocked

So here's what this does. By default, the EVDO data network on my phone will be disabled. But if both of the following are true:
    • I am *DISCONNECTED* from a wifi network AND
    • I have the screen unlocked

Then, mode switcher will enable the EVDO data network. E.g. any time I turn on my screen and there's no wifi network available, then I'll try to use the EVDO data network. But when my screen is off, or if my screen is on and I'm connected to a wifi network, then EVDO will be disabled.

BTW, this mode goes a *VERY* long way towards saving battery life when the phone is in your pocket. EVDO data mode takes up a *lot* of power.

Hope these posts help. And as a FYI, there's a "thanks" and "like" button if these are helpful posts. Just sayin'.
    I am not trying to be awkward or anything, but could you not use All triggers instead of All unique?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazaam View Post
    Thanks! I understand all that. Just dont understand "All Unique" Sorry
    Here's an example of "all unique" trigger in context of my DataOn mode:
    • Triggers:
      • Behavior: all unique
      • Charger Event Trigger: Touchstone, Any
      • Charger Event Trigger: Wall Charger

In this case, my mode would be enabled if all of the following were true:
    • WI-FI is disconnected
    • I have my phone on the touchstone OR I have my phone on a wall charger

What's happening is that the charger event trigger is not unique. There's multiple of those triggers. Any one of those charger event triggers will count. But at least one charger event trigger and at least one wi-fi network trigger must be detected. Because each of those trigger types is unique.

Does that help?
    I am not trying to be awkward or anything, but could you not use All triggers instead of All unique?
    In that case, since all of the trigger types are unique, "all unique" and "all triggers" are effectively equivalent. I tend to use "all unique" by default.
  12.    #12  
    Here's an example of "all unique" trigger in context of my DataOn mode:
    • Triggers:
      • Behavior: all unique
      • Charger Event Trigger: Touchstone, Any
      • Charger Event Trigger: Wall Charger

In this case, my mode would be enabled if all of the following were true:
    • WI-FI is disconnected
    • I have my phone on the touchstone OR I have my phone on a wall charger

What's happening is that the charger event trigger is not unique. There's multiple of those triggers. Any one of those charger event triggers will count. But at least one charger event trigger and at least one wi-fi network trigger must be detected. Because each of those trigger types is unique.

Does that help?
    Awesome!!! I understand that now! So All Unique comes into practice when there are >1 of the same trigger types.

I GET IT.

Thanks so much. Hope you manage to get your volume key problem sorted!

I feel really stupid now! Wonder if I am ready to start medical school
    mu7efcer likes this.
    Now for trigger groups. There are times when you want complicated AND / OR relationships. You can use groups to help. Basically, trigger groups work like this:

A mode will be triggered when:
    • Triggers in Group 1 are detected OR
    • Triggers in Group 2 are detected OR
    • etc etc

Generally, if you use "all unique" or "all triggers" those will apply within each group. So all the triggers in group 1 must be true, then group 1 is triggered. If you have a 2nd group, then it could be that all the triggers in group 2 are detected, then it's triggered.

If either group 1 or group 2 is true, then the mode will be enabled.

Put another way: think of groups like parentheses:

(trigger 1 AND trigger 2 AND trigger 3) OR (trigger 4 AND trigger 5)

Group 1 would be triggers 1-3. Group 2 would be 4-5.

FYI: Grouping only makes sense if you're using "All Unique" or "All Triggers". If you use "Any Triggers" then you don't need groups.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started and you can figure out the rest from there.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 07/09/2011 at 04:25 PM.
  14.    #14  
    See when you have data disabled, what exactly does this do? Does this still allow calls and texts, etc but just doesnt use the network for web browser, etc?

If wifi is connected, does the phone not use the wifi connection anyway?
    Last edited by Kazaam; 07/09/2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    That's why I like this community. Thanks a lot mu7efcer.
    mu7efcer likes this.
    Mode switcher is well worth the effort! It took me a while too but it's awesome. Hang in!
    See when you have data disabled, what exactly does this do? Does this still allow calls and texts, etc but just doesnt use the network for web browser, etc?
    That's correct.
    If wifi is connected, does the phone not use the wifi connection anyway?
    Yes. The purpose of disabling data is that keeping it on, while the phone is in your pocket, is very costly on use of the battery. But when you're charging the phone or you're using it, then turn the data on. That's what my DataOn mode does. Of course, to do this I have to use groups. I have 2 groups:
    1. for detecting when the phone is unlocked & disconnected from wifi
    2. for detecting when charging & disconnected from wifi.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 07/10/2011 at 08:21 AM.