1.    #1  
    okay, so I currently have a veer and am considering getting a pre2 instead. Reason being is screen size, and skype.

my questions/concerns are that since it will be unlocked, will I get an OTA updates? Or would I have to patch them? Also, this is speculation, but I'm concerned that there won't be 2.2 support for the pre2. That BT connection to my TP for voice AND sms was a huge selling point for me. Finally, anything I might not have mentioned that I should think about? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $are$ $no$ $Skype$ $Apps$ $on$ $any$ $unlocked$ $Pre$ $device$ $so$ $moving$ $from$ $Veer$ $to$ $Pre2$ $will$ $not$ $solve$ $that$ $problem$ $for$ $sure$. $As$ $for$ $OS$ $updates$ $usually$ $the$ $unlocked$ $ROW$ ($rest$ $of$ $world$) $devices$ $are$ $the$ $first$ $ones$ $to$ $get$ $them$ $because$ $there$ $are$ $no$ $intermediate$ $carriers$ $sitting$ $on$ $their$ $haunches$ $and$ $doing$ $nothing$ $to$ $have$ $the$ $updates$ $approved$ $and$ $deployed$.

I am in a TP less country and have not touched or smelt one yet so cannot help you about Pre2 - TP BT compatibility.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It depends where you are based. I got my Pre2 with 2.0.1 and upgraded to 2.1 the first day I had it. But I have a EU unlocked.
    Supposedly Pre2 will be upgraded along with the Veer and Pre3 to 3.0. But who really knows in the vague world of webOS.
    About SKype it's what treo knight said.
    I don't know about tp-bt, sorry...
    how is the pre 2 battery?
  5.    #5  
    So youre saying that the skype integration at the OS level is non-existent for an unlocked pre2? How does that make sense? From what I understand its integrated the same way it is on the TP...Thanks for the replies already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    how is the pre 2 battery?
    IMHO the biggest battery hog on webOS devices is email off a phone data (GPRS/EDGE/3G/etc..) network. A full day of email synching only off a data network and moderate phone usage will probably have you looking for a charger or touchstone 12-14 hrs. A 50-50 network data and wifi mix will take you down to 20-25% battery at the end of the day. A full day on wifi networks would leave you with at least 35-405 juice at the end of the day.

Extended gameplay or GPS usage of any sort is a battery hog.

This compares quite well with most smartphones out there and is a big improvement over the Pre "-" which has trouble making it through a day even with minor data usage over the phone network.

The above is based on my personal experience. Your mileage may vary depending on usage, signal strength in area of usage, etc.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    So youre saying that the skype integration at the OS level is non-existent for an unlocked pre2?
    Yes.

How does that make sense?
    I wish I had an answer.

...Thanks for the replies already.
    I thought we used the "Thanks" button for that around here.

I have an unlocked Pre 2 on ATT and it does not have Skype. I understand that the Verizon Pre 2 does have Skype as a Verizon feature. As far as OTA updates, the unlocked Pre 2s have received updated to webOS 2.1. The Verizon Pre 2s are still waiting for it.

The bluetooth connection between the either the Pre 2 or the Veer is working now for voice. I'm not aware that it is working for any phone for sms at this time.

The battery in the Pre 2 is the same as the one in the Pre. My experience is that battery life depends on the strength of your cell signal. For me that means that battery is great on Verizon and Sprint. Not so good on ATT in my home area, but fine in other locations.
    currently skype is only on the verizon Pre2 (and touchpad).

since it's on the touchpad, I hope that means it will eventually be on other carriers, but the way it is implemented on the Pre2 is very specific to vzw and it actually routes the skype traffic as a cellular call.
  10.    #10  
    the skype issue is a major disappointment. Everything else is expected I guess. I have a veer currently and I know the voice works on the TP, once 2.2 comes that should fix the sms hopefully.

thanks again for all replies, sorry I cant hit the "thanks" button, I'm using the unofficial mobile app, so my written thanks will have to suffice. Hahha.

ps- everything would b solved if the pre3 would just release...sorry had to do it