1.    #1  
    Last week my Pre2 (webOS 2.1 with patches but stable for weeks) froze and wouldn't boot (logo didn't flash). So after a bit of hesitation I doctored it. Now it won't let me log in to my normal profile.
    I have a 3G signal OK and managed to create a new profile, but just can't re-use my normal one. I get the following:
    "Data Not Restored. We were unable to restore your data. Please wait a few minutes and try again. If you need help, visit palm.com/support/.". There's a "Try Again" button. I've retried this over a couple of days now.

I've tried Palm Support, who ended up telling me to email Palm Dev Centre (its a dev device). No response yet, but wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
    I see that the same symptoms can be caused if you doctor to an earlier webOS version than that last used by your profile, but I don't think that's the case for me. 2.1.0 has been on my phone for months now and I used the doctor labelled 'HP webOS(R) Doctor (tm) Build 109/108 webOS 2.1.0'.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Andy

Apps: Clock In (Trial and full)
    Happened to me to... Had to create a new palm profile. BURN. Palm couldn't fix it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate the suggestion but I have already tried it. I might give it another shot though. Nothing to lose.
    Andy

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm actually experiencing the exact same thing. I washed my original Pre (yeah yeah). The mic stopped working so I had to borrow one from a friend.

He did a full wipe before giving me the phone. I had Sprint activate his phone.

I could not restore my profile. It says, "Sign In Failed, We were unable to sign you in. Contact Palm for help resolving this."

I spoke to palm via their chat support. The referred me to their phone support, who tried the following:

Tier 1: Various restarts, no luck

Tier 1: Performed erase, no luck

Escalated me to their Tier 2 support.

Tier 2: Performed an erase, no luck

Tier 2 Performed a WebOS doctor, no luck

I tried to create a new profile just for kicks. Similar error, "Can't create new profile, call Palm for assistance."

The Tier 2 rep told me the problem is the radio.

HP/Palm said they could repair my pre for $199 (no way). Can any of you think of any alternatives? Am I forced to get an Android phone? Which would suck with the Pre3 right around the corner.
  5.    #5  
    eldnar, I think your situation is different as I can (and have temporarily) created a new profile. This means that my phone hardware is OK, but somehow the original profile got mangled or something.

My latest is that Palm have contacted me via Twitter so get some contact details and have escalated the problem. @vara411 (Dan Ramirez from webosroundup fame) also had this problem so I think it's getting some publicity.

You might want to consider getting a Pre+ from ebay (or even a Sprintified Pre2) to tide you over until the new phones come, although there is no guarantee that they are coming to Sprint. I'm in the UK so I'm not affected by the US carrier situation.
    Andy

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just had the same problem, but after I made a new account, I went to start up WebOs QI and it told me that there was no device added, ultimately leading me to find that the dev mode was OFF. In the past, DM has always been ON after a doctor to 2.1.0. Any chance this could be why one can't connect to an old 1.4.5 profile after a doctor to 2.x? I got my phone right after launch on Bell in Canada, so the profile was made under 1.x (shows up as 1.40.50 on the profile page).
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've never altered anything with the doctor. Up to this point, DM has always been on and I can get right into Webos QI and Preware off the go. This is the first time DM has been off after a doctor. I always thought the DM being on was a condition for getting the palm profile to recognize a 2.x doctor as the carrier 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Someone (with more than 3 posts) please correct me if I'm wrong, but the default Dev Mode setting after a stock webOS Doctor is OFF.
    Correct.. Unless meta-dr'd

Dev Mode after stock Doc was off each time I played that stock doctor games.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBrt71 View Post
    eldnar, I think your situation is different as I can (and have temporarily) created a new profile. This means that my phone hardware is OK, but somehow the original profile got mangled or something.

My latest is that Palm have contacted me via Twitter so get some contact details and have escalated the problem. @vara411 (Dan Ramirez from webosroundup fame) also had this problem so I think it's getting some publicity.

You might want to consider getting a Pre+ from ebay (or even a Sprintified Pre2) to tide you over until the new phones come, although there is no guarantee that they are coming to Sprint. I'm in the UK so I'm not affected by the US carrier situation.
    Can you login to your profile from here ?

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I see the confusion (and I know I only have 3 posts, thanks for that little slap by the way). I am aware that a stock doctor has DM off. You even bolded the line where I stated that the DM was off AFTER a doctor to 2.1.0. Bell does not offer any updates after 1.4.5, so if anything I am guilty of maybe neglecting to mention that the switch to 2.1.0 WAS a meta-doctor.

Anyways, after doctoring back to stock, THEN meta-ing BACK to 2.1.0, DM was off. I had to switch it on. The question is would DM being off AFTER a meta interfere with profile sign-in when the versions of WebOS might conflict (eg: bell 1.4.5 vs meta-2.1.0)?

<<Here's where the break-down occurs. "In the past, DM has always been ON after a doctor to 2.1.0 [from 1.4.5]." and "I always thought the DM being on was a condition for getting the palm profile to recognize a 2.x doctor as the carrier 1.4.5." I'm not talking a stock doctor to 2.1.0. "shows up as 1.40.50 on the profile page" would not happen unless meta'd>>
    Last edited by mah127; 07/25/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    DM has nothing to do with palm profile
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Finally, an answer! Thanks sketch.