1.    #1  
    OK, I need some direction or reassurance:
    I have a Sprint Pre- with an active Sprint account (out of contract) (14 years);
    I now have in my possession a Verizon Pre 2 not activated.
    I have a 1 month Verizon account as a new customer with a dummy phone.
    This allows me to be grandfathered in to the Verizon unlimited data plan so when the Pre 3 becomes available (hopefully July 21st) I can get the Pre 3.
    In the meantime I want to activate the Pre 2 so I can use it on Verizon until the Pre 3.
    I know I have to keep my Sprint account active so that I can port my Sprint mobile number to Verizon. I could do that now with the Pre 2.

QUESTION:
    Other than my Palm Backup I also have my Sprint Pre- heavily customized with Preware, etc.
    So, once I have the Pre 2 and activate it how do I log into my Palm Profile and get everything on my Pre 2 and later my Pre 3? I know I will have to put Preware on each and redo the customization, but should everything else come over from my Palm Backup profile?
    Anything else I should or should not do?
    By the way I will get the Verizon new customer cost on the Pre 3 which they tell me will likely be either $149 or $199.
    Would love to hear from the community?
    At work so can't answer fully, but also just switched from a pre- to a VZW pre 2. It's a breath of fresh air, webOS how it was meant to be. In love with this phone and can't believe I put up with the pre- and sprint for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreDave View Post
    OK, I need some direction or reassurance:
    I have a Sprint Pre- with an active Sprint account (out of contract) (14 years);
    I now have in my possession a Verizon Pre 2 not activated.
    I have a 1 month Verizon account as a new customer with a dummy phone.
    This allows me to be grandfathered in to the Verizon unlimited data plan so when the Pre 3 becomes available (hopefully July 21st) I can get the Pre 3.
    In the meantime I want to activate the Pre 2 so I can use it on Verizon until the Pre 3.
    I know I have to keep my Sprint account active so that I can port my Sprint mobile number to Verizon. I could do that now with the Pre 2.

QUESTION:
    Other than my Palm Backup I also have my Sprint Pre- heavily customized with Preware, etc.
    So, once I have the Pre 2 and activate it how do I log into my Palm Profile and get everything on my Pre 2 and later my Pre 3? I know I will have to put Preware on each and redo the customization, but should everything else come over from my Palm Backup profile?
    Anything else I should or should not do?
    By the way I will get the Verizon new customer cost on the Pre 3 which they tell me will likely be either $149 or $199.
    Would love to hear from the community?
    you can use the homebrew application "save/restore" to back up your application data, then you would want to connect your pre - to your computer, place it in usb mode and then copy all of the pre folders on the usb to a folder of your choosing on your computer's hard drive. That way you will have all of your music, photos, videos etc saved to be copied back visa versa when you connect your activated pre 2 to your computer later. Then you'll want to make sure you perform a back up with the back up app on your pre - so your apps are all saved to your palm profile. The last thing is regarding the patches, I don't believe there is any way to save all of your patches to install in one go onto your pre 2. And even if there is, there are many patches that are NOT compatible with the Pre 2 webOS 2.0.1-2.1.0. So you'll have to reinstall preware etc on your pre 2 and then manually download all the patches you want again (if they are available for 2.0.1-2.1.0). Hope this helps.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for that response. That's just what I was looking for. I will use the
    Save/Restore app. Good thinking!
    While I get the need to move, the timing could be a lot better...
    IF (big I F, I know) there is any truth to Verizon getting the Pre3 in the 2nd half of July, it would be a shame going to the Pre2 now...

1) As of February, Verizon has ditched their incentives to get upgraded every 12-18 months - it's back to a full 2 years, so you'll be stuck with any new H/W for 24 months

2) They have reduced the return policy to 14 days (from 30) (otherwise you might have been able to give the Pre2 back and take out a pre3! I know, not great ethics, but as consumers we're getting hosed by everyone!)

3) the whole PIA factor fo backing up SMS's (and being able to restore them)... yeuk!

I've been hanging onto my Pre+ (and 3 replacemens for bad kbds) for 6 months after my eligibility to upgrade, hoping beyond all hope I can get to a Pre3 ... and even that is a compromise, since I really wanted a G4/LTE WebOS device by now

All that being said, the Pre2 feels really nice, seems very responsive, and really is what the Pre should have been in the first place!

Good luck, either way

russ
  6.    #6  
    I bought my Pre 2 on ebay so I can just activate it for now and wait for the Pre 3 to show-up.
    Otherwise, I agree with you. I would not get a new Pre 2 but wait it out for the Pre 3.