1.    #1  
    I currently have a Verizon Pixi +. I want to get a new contract before unlimited data goes bye bye next month. Besides TTS, any ideas what I'll lose by just getting a Pre2? I'm planning on getting a touchpad on launch day. Is the Pre2 enyo based?
    What would you do in my situation? I'm currently moving off of a cell plan my parents have been paying for until I was done with college. Anyway, let me know what y'all think.
    At this point, there's no reason you shouldn't just hold out for the Pre 3. Getting a Pre 2, which may or may not ever get 2.1 just doesn't make any sense when a WebOS phone that will have far superior specs will be released before too long.

As far as the data goes, I think I use my phone an above average amount and I only use around .58 GB per month. Under VZWs new pricing, the 2 GB plan will be $30/mo. I don't know how much you'd have to be on your phone to use 2 GB, but it'd be a heck of a lot I think. The unlimited plan right now is $29.99, so unless you plan on using LOTS of data, the 2 GB $30 plan shouldn't be a problem. Not to mention, you can use WiFi at home and work etc to get around using the network data so much.

If I were, I'd just sit tight and wait on the far superior Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Before you commit to your plan, I would think about what YankBoy noted. As crappy as VZWs data plan pricing will be, I would check your usage and then decide. If you're consistently under 2GB/month, then you're going to end up paying the same amount for the same amount of data you already consume.

Assuming that the Pre2 does get webOS 2.1 and beyond, some folks might prefer that smaller form factor. Me, trying to escape the bonds of BlackBerry, I will once again jump back to webOS. Tried iOS - hated it. Notifications awful. Trying Android (again), and while neat, it is not an intuitive or productive experience.

So, my third Pre2 will be here tomorrow (I returned or sold the others...*facepalm*)......I'm a hot mess...lol...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    by upgrading your phone you will also be losing your unlimited hotspot
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I belive if you have a plan, even if not undercontract- after te 7th your plan is grandfathered in- and if you then upgrade/resign 2 years- you keep whatever your current phone plan is- ie you can wait and keep your unlimited data for the pre3 - I would review all the verizon plan change threads- but I belive this to be true.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    I belive if you have a plan, even if not undercontract- after te 7th your plan is grandfathered in- and if you then upgrade/resign 2 years- you keep whatever your current phone plan is- ie you can wait and keep your unlimited data for the pre3 - I would review all the verizon plan change threads- but I belive this to be true.
    This is exactly what VZW customer support told me on the phone. If you have a $29.99 unlimited plan before July 7 you will be grandfathered in and you will get to keep your unlimited plan. As it stands now you'll be able to upgrade to another device after July 7 and keep your unlimited plan, as long as you HAD a $29.99 data plan before July 7.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Aye, thats how I read the press releases and what I was told from a "sales rep" - proceed to your verizon store and doubble check.

This is what I am going to do -

Purchased a BNIB Pre2 - bought a Galaxy S from a freind that switched to Sprint (evo4g) - on the 6th I am starting a 2 line plan with those two phone on Verizon both with unlimited data plan.

I am doing this so- when the pre3 comes out I can get it if its on verizon w/ unlt data and when verizon gets a phone thats LTE with a keyboard for my wife she can upgrade also.

If pre3 comes to sprint- we will stay with sprint, she will get a shift and me a pre3 :-) If it comes to verizon I we will stay on verizon - 1 month of doubble phone bills for unlimited data = okay with me... my MAIN reason is the 15$ surcharge verizon tacked on for enterprise email- we both use our phones alot for work email.

But thats rambeling off--

for the OP and this thread- dont jump the gun if you already are on unlimited on verizon- wait for the announcements and you should be fine picking up the pre3 and remaining on your current plan.

Edit: also OP - if you are off contract now, you can move wherever you like to get the Pre3, if it comes to a carrier you like better- just another thought.
    Last edited by xadion; 06/29/2011 at 01:20 PM.
    yeah, you should be able to upgrade with your current plan when Pre 3 comes out. So please wait for Pre 3. The day Verizon force me to change my plan to new 2g for $30, I am changing my provider. Currently, i am using close to 5g per month.
    you will love the pre2. As long as the 2 year contract doesn't scare you off.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    you will love the pre2. As long as the 2 year contract doesn't scare you off.
    Yup.. the 2 year contract is the rub. My plan was this : get the Pre2 on Verizon on a 2 year contract before the tiered data plans kick in. Once that was done, I just start squirreling money away and saving up gift cards here and there so if I decide I want a Pre3 when it's available on VZ I'll just buy one outright from Amazon off-contract and use it.

So far, though, I'm very content with the Pre2. So much so that I'd be fine sticking with it for the foreseeable future. It'll be even cooler once webOS 3.0 is available for it, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Yup.. the 2 year contract is the rub. My plan was this : get the Pre2 on Verizon on a 2 year contract before the tiered data plans kick in. Once that was done, I just start squirreling money away and saving up gift cards here and there so if I decide I want a Pre3 when it's available on VZ I'll just buy one outright from Amazon off-contract and use it.

So far, though, I'm very content with the Pre2. So much so that I'd be fine sticking with it for the foreseeable future. It'll be even cooler once webOS 3.0 is available for it, too.
    I purchased a Pre2 before the tier data kicks in and planned to buy a Pre3 when they come out. However I am very happy with the Pre2, and 2.1 is out on Verizon, although I don't have it yet where I live. I was surprised by the Pre2, it's a very functional phone, and since I can't afford a Touch Pad in the foreseeable future, no problems with just staying with the Pre2. As far as the OP, checking your data usage is the first and most important thing to do. If you are consistently under 2GB no problem, you can make your move any time as so many have suggested. But if you are not planning on a Touch Pad, the Pre2 is a solid phone. I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone. It's nicely upgraded from the Pre Plus, and is very nice.