1.    #1  
    OK I am thinking of upgrading from my Pixi Plus to the Pre 2 on Verizon(before the whole July 7th data thing!!). My question is does the Pre 2 offer the FREE mobile hot spot as the Pixi does??? I have had 2 different answers from Verizon. The Store told me 'yes' I would have the free MHS on the Palm Pre 2 BUT customer service on the phone said absolutely not, that is was/is ONLY offered with the Pixi Plus. Help me get a straight answer!
    The free hotspot is tied to the ESN of Pre+/Pixi+ devices. So you won't get it on a Pre 2.

But it doesn't matter anyway since you can get freeTether from Preware
  3.    #3  
    How does freeTether work??? And are we sure Verizon wont take it away some how?? I do have preware on the pixi but obviously don't need freeTether... Is there a cap or limit??
    They will warn you before they take anything away. Which they won't do.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

5.    #5  
    last question ...would I be able to stream Pandora on my iPod touch using freeTether??
    Quote Originally Posted by themuttcutter View Post
    last question ...would I be able to stream Pandora on my iPod touch using freeTether??
    Yes, but if you do it a lot, Verizon might start asking questions about the data usage. And why don't you just use Pandora on the Pre?
    freeTether works just like the mobile hotspot except that it uses your normal data instead of a separate tethering data pool.
    One reason to use Pandora on the TP instead of the Pre. It's called Beats by Dre
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    why stream Pandora on your ipod when you can run the Pandora app right on your webOS phone?

in fact, you could run it on both.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/27/2011 at 07:34 PM.
  10.    #10  
    SO will Verizon do anything if you use freeTether a LOT?? Or do you just need to be mindful??
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why stream Pandora on your ipod when you can run the Pandora app right on your webOS phone?

in fact, you could run it on both.
    I used to do this same thing all the time. I would specifically use the iPod Touch because it actually sounds good with my bluetooth headset. The A2DP bluetooth profile was very poorly implemented in webOS. Apple has done it right. I've been hoping for an update that fixes it since I got my Palm Pre Plus. The problem continues on the Pre 2 and Veer. However, Palm/HP seems to not even acknowledge that it is a problem. I expect the Touchpad to still have the same problem.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...&t=186&start=0
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...d-quality.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-increase.html
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    freeTether works just like the mobile hotspot except that it uses your normal data instead of a separate tethering data pool.
    And only one computer can connect at a time, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by themuttcutter View Post
    SO will Verizon do anything if you use freeTether a LOT?? Or do you just need to be mindful??
    ALWAYS be mindful. :-) I'd make a comment here about the current US financial crisis, but those people aren't paying attention anyway, LOL

"In all things, moderation." - John Wesley.

Abuse is a sure way to get flagged, no matter what sort of activity you are engaged in. Remember, Common Sense is an oxymoron.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    ALWAYS be mindful. :-) I'd make a comment here about the current US financial crisis, but those people aren't paying attention anyway, LOL

Abuse is a sure way to get flagged, no matter what sort of activity you are engaged in. Remember, Common Sense is an oxymoron.
    Oh I really don't use the MHS a LOT..but if I switched from the pixi plus to the pre 2 I don't want to lose it
    Pretty sure more than one can onnect.
    FreeTether has no limit on how many devices can connect.

Verizon has no way of knowing if you're using freeTether or not. They just see how much data you use, there's no way for them to know if that data is going to freeTether or some other app on your phone, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    This worked for my Droid Inc 2 that I upgraded to from pre plus:
    WiFi Hotspot Hack Steps: 1) Dial ##778#, SEND. 2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK. 3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name just take out dun. Of the email address. 4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile' just take out dun. Of the email address. 5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.
    Not sure if it will work for Pre 2. I just use MHS at will now. In any case, freetether works well and no charges with moderate use on my end here from using it before. MHS had connectivity issues with desktop linux for me.
    I just tried FreeTether again, and IMHO it's now my preference to MHS. More configuration options than MHS, and of course where it draws data from..there are a number of reasons. I no longer care abt MHS at all.

this x100, +1

good post