webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Pre 2 really, really, really slow. [solved]
Pre 2 really, really, really slow. [solved]

Old 06/27/2011, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

So my Verizon Pre 2's always been lightning fast... until today. I thought it was because I installed the "Bypass PIN" patch (my most recent patch install), but it can't be that. EVERYTHING is slow as hell... scrolling lists, moving from launcher page to launcher page, launching apps, opening web pages. Like, not just laggy slow, but ludicrously-wait-5-seconds-and-pray slow. Tap an app in the launcher, the highlight appears 12 seconds later and THEN it opens.

I uninstalled ALL my homebrew and my theme, and it got SLOWER.

It's unusable. Anyone ever run into this? If so, what did you do?

BUT: Angry Birds runs fast. WTH?
IGNTNUNLMTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
So my Verizon Pre 2's always been lightning fast... until today. I thought it was because I installed the "Bypass PIN" patch (my most recent patch install), but it can't be that. EVERYTHING is slow as hell... scrolling lists, moving from launcher page to launcher page, launching apps, opening web pages. Like, not just laggy slow, but ludicrously-wait-5-seconds-and-pray slow. Tap an app in the launcher, the highlight appears 12 seconds later and THEN it opens.

I uninstalled ALL my homebrew and my theme, and it got SLOWER.

It's unusable. Anyone ever run into this? If so, what did you do?

BUT: Angry Birds runs fast. WTH?
Sometimes I have this issue with my pre2. Most of it started after installing various patches and applications from preware. A simple luna restart or Full restart will do the trick.
Old 06/27/2011, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
Sometimes I have this issue with my pre2. Most of it started after installing various patches and applications from preware. A simple luna restart or Full restart will do the trick.
I have done 20 restarts today (either Luna or Full) during the Homebrew removal process. Also doing another full right now just to test. Not hopeful.
Old 06/27/2011, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This happened to me when I installed SR71. Never happened on stock kernel.

My first suggestion would be to go into Govnah and select default profile.

Second would be to remove and re-install Govnah.

It sounds like it's stuck on 300mhz.

If Govnah says it's running at 1000mhz, and the above did nothing, then try running at 700 / 600mhz and see if that helps at all. If not then a dr may be necessary, and if that doesn't help, then there's something wrong hardware wise.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: IGNTNUNLMTD
Old 06/27/2011, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Open Govnah and see what your CPU speed is. I've had mine get stuck at 300mhz for no reason sometimes, and swapping profiles around fixes it right up.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: IGNTNUNLMTD
Old 06/27/2011, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
This happened to me when I installed SR71. Never happened on stock kernel.

My first suggestion would be to go into Govnah and select default profile.

Second would be to remove and re-install Govnah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
Open Govnah and see what your CPU speed is. I've had mine get stuck at 300mhz for no reason sometimes, and swapping profiles around fixes it right up.
"PROFILE: Unknown"
"FREQUENCY: 300 MHz"

You guys might be onto something. Thanks so much!
Old 06/27/2011, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I have done 20 restarts today (either Luna or Full) during the Homebrew removal process. Also doing another full right now just to test. Not hopeful.
I would try to doctor it then, something could have gotten messed up during a file install or what not. I had to do that a few months ago when I had a pre- and it fixed all my problems.
Old 06/27/2011, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

People who said it was the profile: bang on. I reinstalled Govnah and choose "Palm Default" and immediately...

FULL THROTTLE 1 GHz, BABY!

Thanks a ton, guys! Saved me a Doctoring session and ensuing maintenance.

Mods may close at their discretion.
Old 06/27/2011, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Good stuff.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
People who said it was the profile: bang on. I reinstalled Govnah and choose "Palm Default" and immediately...

FULL THROTTLE 1 GHz, BABY!

Thanks a ton, guys! Saved me a Doctoring session and ensuing maintenance.

Mods may close at their discretion.
Did this CPU drop happen spontaneously without installing govnah or a new kernel? Or after?

If it's after, you might want to let the Internals' guys and gals know.

Glad you found the problem!
thermodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I love Precentral and finding threads that help me My Verizon Pre 2 has been laggy for the last few weeks and I remembered an old thread mentioning the problem of being stuck at 300, and confirmed it watching in Govnah, but with work and then vacation I didn't have time to come back and find the fix. thanks to that thread from May and today's, I seem to be back in business

Clarice
shrxwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
I love Precentral and finding threads that help me My Verizon Pre 2 has been laggy for the last few weeks and I remembered an old thread mentioning the problem of being stuck at 300, and confirmed it watching in Govnah, but with work and then vacation I didn't have time to come back and find the fix. thanks to that thread from May and today's, I seem to be back in business

Clarice
Again, wondering if this is an inherent problem with the Pre 2 itself, or after installing a new kernel or govnah?
thermodynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sorry, but I can't assign any event to the change (things were crazy with work and finals at school when it slowed down) but I only have a few patches and the stock kernel, and I only added Govnah after it started - to monitor the speed and prove it was the stuck at 300 problem. I've stayed at 2.0.1 on Verizon because I was happy enough to just wait for them (but all the "news" this last few days about it being released but not really is killing me!)
Old 06/27/2011, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
Again, wondering if this is an inherent problem with the Pre 2 itself, or after installing a new kernel or govnah?
I guess nobody is interested in the cause, just the solution. They don't understand the importance of diagnosing the cause, until it happens to them everyday.
Old 06/28/2011, 05:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

As someone who works in IT I am usually all about finding the cause, but in this case I just don't have the time to spend trying to recreate the situation, and with so few of us a) using the Pre2 and b) experiencing this problem - there isn't a lot of value add to the community for me to do that. If it kicks back down again, I'll have a better chance of recognizing it sooner and attributing a cause.

Until then I'll spend any extra time I may have refreshing System Updates, hoping VZW got off their butts and released 2.1

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 06/28/2011, 05:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
I guess nobody is interested in the cause, just the solution. They don't understand the importance of diagnosing the cause, until it happens to them everyday.
on the pre 2, they used a different kernel that scales down to 300 when the screen is off. I bet the kernel is playing up and when the Pre2 is turned back on the kernel isnt registering it so stays at 300. This seems to be a pretty serious issue, as if your a non-hombrew user then there's no quick fix for it, a doctor or full erase would be needed. Also if they have implemented a similar kernel style into the veer and Pre3 then HP needs to take a serious look at this bug, else people will be swapping their phones pretty quickly if this happens to them.
For those who have had this happen to them I reccommend PMing HardBeatz if only so that he can get you to send in the logs.
pip smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2011, 08:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
Did this CPU drop happen spontaneously without installing govnah or a new kernel? Or after?

If it's after, you might want to let the Internals' guys and gals know.

Glad you found the problem!
This happened without installing a new kernel, and Govnah had been installed for weeks.

I went to unlock the phone and it just hung at the blue sky background of the lockscreen (I have Bypass PIN by dbsooner installed) for like 3+ minutes, and from there on, it was slow as hell.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 06/28/2011, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

for what its worth my sprint pre 2 (which I have re doctored numerous times) just does run so smooth anymore. Sometimes its perfect but sometimes its annoying. Its not overclocked and I dont have govnah. I am hoping for the update to fix this
stu5797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2011, 08:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

This happened to me early on and I just ran the doctor. It hasn't happened since. However, it looks like just uninstalling and reinstalling Govnah fixed the issue for the OP.
gapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2011, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Just had a similar issue.
Remove / Re-install worked for me too!
shock_terminal is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0