Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    How good is the Skype voice quality? On the precentral review, they said it sounded like calls were being done over 2G and not very high quality (to the receiver). Is this still the case? Also, how does the other person sound (connected to Skype via PC and/or Skype on phone).

    Second, I know that the Pre 2 cannot do outgoing video calling, but can it do incoming video calling? Ie. someone calls me from their computer on Skype and initiates a video call... will I see their video?
  2. #2  
    Thats a good question, I don't think it can. However this has caught my mind and I will test it tonight.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
  3. #3  
    I am gutted there is no skype support for the pre 2, is it capable of running it? do you think we might eventually get it if the pre 2 is updated to webos 3 ? I hope so :-)

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bftw View Post
    I am gutted there is no skype support for the pre 2, is it capable of running it? do you think we might eventually get it if the pre 2 is updated to webos 3 ? I hope so :-)

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ?

    There is DEFINITELY Skype voice support for the Pre 2! In fact it's baked into the OS, so calling through Skype is just like calling a regular number.

    My question is in regards to video calling capability.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    Thats a good question, I don't think it can. However this has caught my mind and I will test it tonight.
    Thanks, let me know!
  6.    #6  
    Any result?
  7. #7  
    I use skype on my Pre2 all the time. It's audio only, at least until someone figures out how to patch 2.2 after it is available.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the clarification Cant.

    How's the quality on each end? P|C didn't seem to jazzed about it in their initial review.

    I guess I'll find out soon enough once mine gets in, but wondering if anything's improved.
  9. #9  
    I think the audio quality is fantastic. I talk to someone in europe weekly, and someone in the US almost daily. No complaints at all.
  10.    #10  
    Awesome
  11. #11  
    As with any Skype call, the quality greatly depends on the quality of the connection. If its WiFi, a strong signal is crucial, and I can only imagine its more crucial when connecting via cellular network.
  12. #12  
    Skype on the Verizon Pre 2 doesn't use VOIP, it uses cell minutes. Verizon does back-end magic to connect that to the Skype network. So your data speed doesn't actually matter.

    This is almost definitely different from the Touchpad's implementation since that's a Wifi-only device.
  13. #13  
    VZW Skype on the pre2 sounds just like any other cellphone call (which is what is actually is), which is to say pretty good, but nowhere near the quality of skype from PC to PC.
  14. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Skype on the Verizon Pre 2 doesn't use VOIP, it uses cell minutes. Verizon does back-end magic to connect that to the Skype network. So your data speed doesn't actually matter.
    From Skype's Blog announcing Skype on VZW:

    Skype-to-Skype calls will not be charged against your monthly minute allowance or data plan.
    Yes, it does use the cellular network, not data, but it does not use your minutes.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    From Skype's Blog announcing Skype on VZW:



    Yes, it does use the cellular network, not data, but it does not use your minutes.
    Thanks for the clear up.

    Does this mean I NEED to have a cellular connection to make a call on Skype (not just have Wifi on?)?
  16. #16  
    For more information on Skype Mobile, please view

    Skype Mobile Phone | Skype Cell Phone | Skype Calling
  17. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    Thanks for the clear up.

    Does this mean I NEED to have a cellular connection to make a call on Skype (not just have Wifi on?)?
    That is exactly what it means.

Posting Permissions