Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am debating overclocking. My Pre 2 runs great stock. I do want to experience overclockig on the Pre 2. So I am looking for info from those that have taken the plunge.

I would like to know what kernel you are running if overclocked.
    how does it compare to the stock kernel?
    Have you had any issues?
    Are any apps slower in your opinion although you are overclocked?
    Is the phone's operation pretty smooth?
    Anything else you want to share?

Thanks.
    I've got f104a running, goes to 1.1ghz, and it's pretty fantastic. I notice a difference.

None of my apps are slower. My battery doesn't drain any faster. The phone doesn't overheat. None of the problems the Pre-/+ had with overclocking.

I tried f14 but had to memboot, and I tried sr71 and it booted, but was sluggish. So I went back to f104a and I never even think about it.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I run stock. I don't even run any patches. Stock Pre2 is fantastic. I see no need to risk reduced battery life and overheating on a phone that's plenty fast enough as it is.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    My dad always said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stock is plenty fast enough for me so I leave it alone.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    My dad always said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stock is plenty fast enough for me so I leave it alone.
    Was your dad John Wayne?
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

ET
    Same goes for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    nope. vz pre2 stock kernel. i do have a few patches, though.
  8.    #8  
    Thank for the responses. I did run patchless for a couple days. I missed a couple of them. Especially the advanced patches. They create so much convenience. I must agree that 2.1.0 is still great without them.

Any one else?
    You should add a poll to this thread. Might get more responses as votes than posts. Just a suggestion.

Suggested poll options:
    • I'm running stock 2.1
    • I'm running stock 2.1 kernel with patches
    • I'm running alternate kernel w/out patches
    • I'm running alternate kernel with patches
    • I don't have a Pre2. I like voting.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Was your dad John Wayne?
    I wish.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm running the 1.4 patch and I love it.
    I patched my Pre 2 when I first got it, but then saw some stability issues. I don't really miss the patches too much since the ones that I really wanted to use were only on 2.1 and not 2.0.1.

So I reverted back to stock and been that way for about 2 months. LOVING IT. Pre 2 with webOS 2.X is the best thing out in the market.
    I have Govnah, but cannot find the 1.4 kernel patch. I assume I find it in Preware and then can select it in Govnah. Can anyone point me towards instructions please? I wonder if my problem is that I need to add more feeds to Preware, I am running stock feeds?

Thanks,
    Jodi
    I feel like I should add to my post....I don't feel that I need to overclock my Pre 2. The only lag that I get is in Twitter clients. I get a total device lag as they poll for more tweets and I also get a lag when swiping back from an individual tweet to the main thread. Overclocking might not fix this...and it's not really a big deal. I'm just curious.
    I do wonder why I can't see patches in Preware though, I only see the option that allows you to revert back to stock kernel.
    I also have the f104 with screenstate3 running. I haven't overclocked it (1 ghz max) but tried to minimize the voltage settings so as to get even more battery life out of it. Since my pre 2 seems to like undervolting a lot I have increased battery life with that measure. With vdemand set to no I have 1.232mv at 1ghz, 1mv at 600 mhz and 0.932mv at 300 mhz. I have no stability issues. At 1ghz it is .200 lower than stock which is a great % in reduction of the voltage I think.

best regards,

Heino
    Quote Originally Posted by heino View Post
    I also have the f104 with screenstate3 running. I haven't overclocked it (1 ghz max) but tried to minimize the voltage settings so as to get even more battery life out of it. Since my pre 2 seems to like undervolting a lot I have increased battery life with that measure. With vdemand set to no I have 1.232mv at 1ghz, 1mv at 600 mhz and 0.932mv at 300 mhz. I have no stability issues. At 1ghz it is .200 lower than stock which is a great % in reduction of the voltage I think.

best regards,

Heino
    thanks for your info. Now I see a reason to install a custom kernel aside from overclocking.
    I was quite disappointed with the stock speed of my Pre 2 in comparison to my Pre- overclocked with Uberkernel.
    I just downloaded the F104A kernel on my Pre 2 and wow! Don't even think about it, just do it!
    well I forget the kernel's name, but I'm running the 1.4ghz and it runs like a dream.

Not sure on battery life, but it doesn't seem to overheat.

Also, why are you missing the advance patches? They are available for 2.1
    Could you try to remember the name of the kernel and let us know.
    the name of the 1.4 ghz kernal is the f14 tomcat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast