Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I currently have the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and am not impressed with it. It constantly reboots, battery sucks (No pun intended), and just overly frustrated.

With the HP Touchpad coming out and the possibilities with the device, I am considering switching to a Palm phone, such as the Pre 2. I know the Pre 3 is coming out, but what I am really wanting to know is; what are the pros and cons of the Palm phones?

Thanks for any comments you provide me.
    Wait for the Pre3.

But, VERY intuitive, pleasant UI. Synergy, Just Type, Multitasking (TRUE), Cards.

webOS is a great phone OS. Also, HP (like Palm before it) EMBRACES homebrew and this community is incredible.

I have been a Blackberry guy from forever ago. I have had time with Android and am NOT a basher of that system. I like BB. i like Android....I LOVE webOS.

The earlier phones were mechanically not good. However, the later ones (Pre2, Veer) have been very good to excellent.

By all accounts, the Pre3 will be excellent. Combine that with webOS and it will be awesome.

Right now, I carry a BB and a Pre-. My wife has a Pre-. If Pre3 is as good as I believe it will be, then it will become my primary phone (from BB)
    The major benefit of any WebOS device is its card-based User Interface. This emulates the closest to how you work in many windows/applicaitons on your desktop PC, better than any OS out there; it was so elegant, that it won the CES awards hands down in 2009, when it first debuted.

The next thing is gestures - these are simple hand/finger gestures that, once you learn them, make minimizing a card, or going back to a previous, or forward to the next view in a card, easy. Also, exiting an application is literally tossing the card away with your finger. You can't get more intuitive than that.

With the original WebOS devices, hardware build was an issue, and, because of the multitasking fashion WebOS uses, a faster processor was needed than the 600mghz CPU it had. When HP bought Palm, they made it clear that they want to build hi performance devices, and the CEO said as early as just last week, for the 3rd time, that they will not release a product that is "less than perfect".

So, with the TP specs, and the Pre specs, hardware wise, we are likely looking at very powerful devices, with smooth performance, if his promise holds true.

I'd go to the Palm page and look at the videos there for each device for more information.

The downside to WebOS right now, is, as the market sees it:

Only 8,000 applications.

I hope that helps.. and the best of luck in making your decision.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

WebOS rocks. It's a question of form factor: tiny-Veer, Medium-Pre2, Big-Pre3 & wait.
    btw. Pre2 will (for all infos avaialbe now) not be able to use touch-to-share with the touchpad:

but neato! can do nearly the same thing (for now) with all webos devices: http://www.precentral.net/neato
    I use to be an HTC guy...never looked back...all thou that 3D phone looked interesting...but WebOs has no substitute
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtazz View Post
    I currently have the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and am not impressed with it. It constantly reboots, battery sucks (No pun intended), and just overly frustrated.

With the HP Touchpad coming out and the possibilities with the device, I am considering switching to a Palm phone, such as the Pre 2. I know the Pre 3 is coming out, but what I am really wanting to know is; what are the pros and cons of the Palm phones?

I would certainly wait a bit to see about the Pre 3 instead of grabbing a Pre 2 right now. Here's how I would compare the Pre 3 and TouchPad to the high-end Android phones and tablets.

Even, or personal preference:
    • Performance: Pre 3 and TouchPad have enough horsepower to match Android.
    • Hackability: You can probably do more to hack up an Android device, depending on the limitations added by manufacturer & carrier. However, hacking a webOS device is usually easier and safer.
    • Battery: Anything with multitasking and without system push notifications (webOS and Android) will do worse on battery than things with limited multitasking and push (iOS and Windows Phone). Bigger screens use more battery but usually come on devices with bigger batteries. LTE or WiMax will chew through a battery, and CDMA uses more battery than GSM.
    • Search: Android has voice search, webOS has voice dial and Just Type.
    • Keyboard: The Pre 3 looks to have a great physical keyboard. The TouchPad virtual keyboard looks nice too. Some people prefer one of the Android virtual keyboards.
    • Build quality: The Pre 3 and TouchPad look to have come up to match the build quality (but maybe not the sexiness) of flagship Android devices.

Android better usually:
    • Apps: The big one. App quality isn't better, but there are many things you just can't get on webOS yet.
    • Screen: No massive 4.3+ screens on webOS phones. The Pre 3 and TouchPad are likely to have less awesome displays than the qHD and AMOLED screens from Android manufacturer.
    • Customizability: webOS doesn't have quite the dizzying array of options for everything that Android does.
    • Camera: the Pre 3's looks to be a pretty good 5MP shooter, but Android devices have had better photo & video so far.
    • Storage: no SD cards on webOS devices
    • Video Out: no HDMI or DLNA on webOS devices
    • LTE/WiMax: Pre 3 has HSPA+ on AT&T, but no WiMax or LTE as far as we know.
    • Glanceable info: Android widgets are more versatile than webOS Exhibition, although webOS notifications can also provide some nice quick info.

webOS better usually:
    • Multitasking UI: Way way better, more enjoyable, easier to manage.
    • Gestures: A more fluid experience than Android buttons. Much fewer gestures on the TouchPad and possibly future phones, however.
    • Notifications: A little better on webOS as they are individually dismissable.
    • Synergy: Unifies things like contacts, calendars, email, SMS & chat, accross services. Some Android skins provide some of this functionality or mroe, but are not as consistent.
    • Ease of use: the UI is more consistent and options are usually more straightforward. Cards gives you a better idea what is actually running.
    • Touchstone charging: Very handy, hard to give up once you've used it for a while. The original TouchStones can be had for pretty cheap, so I have one in the bedroom, our desk, my car, and my office. I rarely worry about battery in normal daily use.
    • Device integration: Touch-to-share, SMS and call capability on the tablet, shared profile. Hopefully even further "continuous client" type ability with the shared profile down the road.

wow, that got long! sorry
    Hello everyone (my first official post here)

I am also looking to convert. I currently have the Moto Droid 2 on VZ.

With all this talk about the Pre3 coming soon and all the capabilities between the TouchPad and it, im very interested.

What I want to do is dive into the webOS world and purchase a pre2 (maybe even a pre + on CG) and just get familiar with it. I am eligible for an upgrade through verizon, but I want to save that upgrade for the Pre3, if it ever reaches verizon, and sell one of the phones (droid or pre).

so basically what I want to do is buy a palm phone now (i can get the pre2 for about $100 from a friend, and the pre+ for about $50 on cg) and just wait it out for the Pre3.

Would you guys prefer that I just wait for the pre3 and stick it out with my droid, or does purchasing a palm phone now seem like an good idea?
    Last edited by jalexmontes; 06/22/2011 at 10:22 PM.
    The Pre3 is expected to hit Verizon July 21st. Unless you prefer the smaller form factor of the Pre2 you should probably wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtazz View Post

Wait for the Pre3. It will be here in a few weeks.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Wait for the Pre3. It will be here in a few weeks.
    In HP terms that means about 3 months.
    I wouldn't hold your breath.
    "This summer"
    Well, summer just started 3 days ago. Which mean they have until the end of August to follow through.
    Unless they meant Summer in the Southern Hemisphere....
    @Roland-
    Are u telling me to wait? Or the OP? Or both? Haha
    I'd say that the best thing about webOS is that the system works very close to how you'd expect it to...out of the box. Android is flexible, in some ways, but webOS is more flexible and easier to tweak.

A major down side I've been feeling lately, since buying my Pre 2, is that no matter how good the OS is, there is only one form factor moving forward: the slider. If you don't like a slider phone, don't need/use/like a physical keyboard, and want a large 4" or bigger screen, then obviously this is not for you. The other huge down side is the lack of developer activity as far as the availability and variety of official catalogue apps. My bank (USAA) has an app on iOS, Android, WP7 (though it doesn't have deposit@mobile on this one), and even BlackBerry (I think), but no support on webOS. The up side to this fact is that most of the web sites that apps tend to emulate on iOS and Android work pretty darn well on the webOS browser. You just have to get used to tapping on the small screen and using the quirky combination of gestures, keyboard, meta-tap, etc. It's not a bad system, by any means, but it isn't the best total platform for various reasons.

Hope it works for you ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalexmontes View Post
    Hello everyone (my first official post here)

I am also looking to convert. I currently have the Moto Droid 2 on VZ.

With all this talk about the Pre3 coming soon and all the capabilities between the TouchPad and it, im very interested.

What I want to do is dive into the webOS world and purchase a pre2 (maybe even a pre + on CG) and just get familiar with it. I am eligible for an upgrade through verizon, but I want to save that upgrade for the Pre3, if it ever reaches verizon, and sell one of the phones (droid or pre).

so basically what I want to do is buy a palm phone now (i can get the pre2 for about $100 from a friend, and the pre+ for about $50 on cg) and just wait it out for the Pre3.

Would you guys prefer that I just wait for the pre3 and stick it out with my droid, or does purchasing a palm phone now seem like an good idea?
    I had the Droid 2 on VZW before. I was happy with it for browsing the web, and commenting on sites like this without the use of apps, but otherwise it was pretty useless. Compared to the Droid 2, the Pre 2 is awesome. I'd say that it is very much worth the $100 to hold you over till the Pre 3 comes out. You may even like it better for its compact size. I'd say at least try it out and see how you feel. Once you get the Pre 3, sell both the Droid and Pre 2 cuz you won't need em lol.
    sadly my friend sold the pre 2 already.
    so i bought the pre+ for $60 and im absolutely in love with it. best phone i've ever purchased and to think that its an older model!
    And until 2.1 hits the Pre2, your pre+ is much less buggy.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have received my demo Pre 2 from HP and have been playing with it for the past two days. So far, I think the build on it is not that great. Feels kind of cheap, because the bottom half wiggles when closed or opened, but not a deal breaker. Trying to get use to the keyboard. It is a little small for my big thumbs, but gets easier as you work with it.

I love the WebOS. It seems awesome and so intuitive. I do wish there were more apps with it. I assume this will change after the TouchPad comes out and people really start developing apps for WebOS.

I will keep playing with it and update those that care.