Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeremykrall
  1.    #1  
    Brand new US sourced unlocked Pre 2 being used in Australia does an unprovoked luna reset 3-6 times a day. The Only apps I have installed is Spaz, Uber Calender and Preware. The only files I have insalled on the USB drive is 3 albums of mp3's.

I have even used the doctor to reinstal 2.1, but the Lunas are still happening.

What am I missing? Any advice?

Very Frustrating as this is my first WebOS device.

Cheers,
    Thirst.
    That is not normal.

First thing I would tell you to do troubleshooting wise would be a full secure erase. Doctoring doesn't erase the USB partition. Go into device info and find reset options, and pick the last one. If that doesn't help come back.

Maybe could be a bad battery connection.

If you're positive it's doing a luna reboot, download lumberjack and check your app logs and look for anything strange.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirst View Post
    Brand new US sourced unlocked Pre 2 being used in Australia does an unprovoked luna reset 3-6 times a day. The Only apps I have installed is Spaz, Uber Calender and Preware. The only files I have insalled on the USB drive is 3 albums of mp3's.

I have even used the doctor to reinstal 2.1, but the Lunas are still happening.

What am I missing? Any advice?

Very Frustrating as this is my first WebOS device.

Cheers,
    Thirst.
    I have a colleague who is having the exact same problem and he went as far as to doctor it *and* create a new profile with nothing installed or hacked. It is still ongoing.

He is on AT&T in the US. Other than that he loves the phone. Best.Mobile.OS.Ever.
    My Palm History
    ---------------
    V -> Vx -> Treo 90 -> Tungsten E -> Centro -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2
    I can't speak to what is/isn't normal on the Unlocked GSM Pre2. However, on my Sprint FrankenPre2, it's not normal.

Of course, there are several key differences between my phone and your phone:
    • Using CDMA Sprint Comm Board
    • Running metadoctor'd webOS 2.1

So you probably need to get more info from people with Unlocked GSM Pre2's to be sure that it's not something symptomatic of that type of phone.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    If you would look at my post I did not long ago, you will find a fix. I had the exact same problem and I contacted Palm and they told me to try this. It worked.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tarts-fix.html
    I had this problem on my old palm pixi. Turned out to be a bad battery connection. I put a piece of tissue paper under the battery, close the lid over it, and the added pressure made it work. I know, right?
  7.    #7  
    Thank You to all who have replied and in particular FUZZY_GIZMO. I tried your fix as suggested and it seems to have solved the issue. It has still reset a couple of times in the last few days after I tried the fix, but not as much as before.

Cheers
    Thirst.
  8.    #8  
    Nup !

2 weeks later now and the bloody thing is still performing unprovoked resets.

There goes my idea of buying a Pre3/Touchpad and passing this onto my wife.

Very frustrated first time WebOS user here.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    My pre 2 have this annoying issue as well. So the issue still exist in your pre 2?
    I don't know whether it is a software problems or hardware. I wish it can be fixed in the next upgrade of webos.

Is the hp support say anything to you when your problem not fixed?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirst View Post
    Nup !

2 weeks later now and the bloody thing is still performing unprovoked resets.

There goes my idea of buying a Pre3/Touchpad and passing this onto my wife.

Very frustrated first time WebOS user here.
    My pre 2 have this annoying issue as well. So the issue still exist in your pre 2?
    I don't know whether it is a software problems or hardware. I wish it can be fixed in the next upgrade of webos.

Is the hp support say anything to you when your problem not fixed?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I followed the suggestion on the other thread to do a erase apps and data reset and that seemed to help. Assuming it is a "over time" issue, I'm also running Preset Reset to do a daily reset.

I hope I don't need do an erase reset periodically, though with WebOS 2.x, the restore from backup was not too inconvenient.
    Interestingly there are many of the Pre 2 users that got this luna reboot too.

my pre 2 also have this problem......
    nothing helps (doctor, full erase, no preware etc.)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Completely anecdotal, but it may be correlated with Bluetooth audio devices. I turned BT off on a trip, and didn't get any Luna restarts during 1 week, where I was getting one a day. It isn't scientific since I didn't use my Pre 2 as much.

For others experiencing this, are you using Bluetooth audio devices (I have a headset and a car it, both support A2DP)?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lschen View Post
    Completely anecdotal, but it may be correlated with Bluetooth audio devices. I turned BT off on a trip, and didn't get any Luna restarts during 1 week, where I was getting one a day. It isn't scientific since I didn't use my Pre 2 as much.

For others experiencing this, are you using Bluetooth audio devices (I have a headset and a car it, both support A2DP)?
    Hi Ischen,

In my case I have never used bluetooth on my Pre2.

I've moved on and bought 2 new and cheap Pre2's from ebay ($120- Bargain!) both of which work perfectly. On the new units I've only had 1 random reset in five weeks.

I think my original one was just a lemon.

Cheers.
    I have been having resets with OS2.1 on my Verizon Pre2 for the last couple of days. The last one was while on my hip at work and the one before that was while on the TS. Some it starts to reset and brings up the HP screen but never gets any farther. I actually have to take out the battery and start it from scratch. I don't remember having this issue with 2.0, but didn't have that on the phone long before I updated.
    I have not done any doctoring or preware, everything loaded is from the app catalog. And I haven't even paired a BlueTooth device with the phone.
    With this issue, the TS 100% charging notification issue and some random sounds not working I wonder if I ever should have "upgraded" from my Plus that was working fine. Having a faster chip and newer OS doesn't mean much if you can't trust the device.
    I suggest running a complete webOS doctor ( factory reset ) and see if the problem persists. If it does it could be a hardware failure.

My hunch though is that it's a problem with either the battery connection to the phone or a battery calibration issue. You could try a few charges / discharges and see if that helps.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I would bet on battery calibration with 2.1 and this phone since this and the TS issue seem to have started after the upgrade. I have swapped battery and charger from the Plus with no difference. I haven't done a full factory reset but did the Erase Apps & Data with no change.
    Having that extra battery trying that full discharge and recharge sounds like a good idea.
    Wow my 2 just locked up again. I was adding a task and it started to reset. I let it go for over 20 minutes and I still just had the HP logo. I tried moving the battery around but it didn't make any difference, so I just pulled it. I reinstalled the battery and cover and let the phone restart. I love how fast this starts compared to the Plus, when it starts that is. I launched Clock so my alarm would be set for tomorrow. Then I launched tasks to see if the task was there that I was adding when it crashed. It was, very cool. I backed up to the task list page (moleskin view) and it crashed again! Five minutes later I pulled the battery because I was tired of the HP screen. I can't wait for this battery to die so I can try the discharge/recharge cycle. I wonder what my warranty is through Amazon.
    I drained two batteries and recharged them. I also ran the webOS doctor. My TS 100% charging issues seems to be fixed, but not the resetting. The 2 reset again this morning and was stuck on the hp screen. But I was able to do the Triple-toggle restart and the phone started the reset over, without having to remove the battery. Obviously something changed for the better. Now I just need to see how often resets happen. Fingers crossed.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    If you feel ambitious, you can install preware and with it you can install Lumberjack, if you are lucky enough you will catch your phone just after it restarts then you can copy the system / luna logs and post them here

i'm curious if it's a luna reboot or a full system reboot