1.    #1  
    I think a few people have tried to ask this before, but just in case...

On my old Smartphone, I was able to type in a name using the letters below the numbers on the phone pad. The phone would then search for matches. E.g. for Brown I would type 27696, being the numbers associated with the letters on the phone pad. As I typed, the phone directory would be searched, narrowing down as I typed in more letters/numbers.

Does anyone know of a patch, add-on or whatever that would enable this feature? Why, you may ask? Because I find it a pain to have to always slide out the physical keyboard in order to search for a name.

Richard
    Haven't heard of any such patch, but that's a pretty good idea, and surprised that hasn't been done.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    its called.................. speed dial
    I am assuming by phone pad you mean the button layout inside the phone app. You can use the physical keyboard to do that however you can do that from outside the phone app too. This is actually faster than any other device. Just type works great from ANYWHERE not just phone app.

On my Epic it works the way you are describing it from inside the phone app. I am not overly fond of it as it hasn't always worked correctly (only shows one match and changes it as you type more). On my PRE it was way faster. Just type starts with a long list and narrows down as you add more and more letters or numbers.
    Umm, it does this since 06/06/2009.

EDIT: correction, from the keypad, not phone number pad, as sapient2k7 stated. Sorry, I realized the first day that the phone pad didn't work that way, so always used the keypad to dial by name. So, now I agree that is a good patch request. =P
    I see pandas.
    you could try and install the virtual keyboard, than have a go at the phone app with it or even try the just type thingie with it. not as elegant, but you don't have to slide out either.
    I agree. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to slide open the keyboard and type on it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    you could try and install the virtual keyboard, than have a go at the phone app with it or even try the just type thingie with it. not as elegant, but you don't have to slide out either.
    I tried the virtual keyboard briefly but found it to clumsy to use to be honest so disabled it again.

I genuinely think this would be a good patch. The phone pad is clearly labled with letters - I don't want to have to fiddle around sliding out keyboard or pressing special keys to launch virtual keyboards. Additionally, for those who are T9 wizzards, why not add this to the mix while we're at it - I've often thought it would be nice to send a simple text the T9 way rather than having to slide out the keyboard.

Thoughts?

Richard
    This is a great idea now that I think of it. It makes more sense when the actual letters are already written under the numbers in the dialer as you point out.
    if you already have the phone app open, hold down the send/end button and launch voice dial. If you have voice dial
    What I always wanted was something like this for universal search:

if I typed: 1-800-SIRATAX it would dial 1-800-747-2829.

That would be extremely useful for calling businesses etc...

ACTUALLY... I might just develop that as an app... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no one steal my idea!