1.    #1  
    My mom is on verizon, has a dumb phone, and has an upgrade ready. I am on Sprint and want to do a frankenPre2.

Can my mom upgrade to the Pre 2, then right after go back to her dumb phone without a dataplan?

essentially i just want to use her upgrade and renew the contract without actually activating the phone. anyone know how this could work?
    she has to keep the data plan, that is a part of the contract and the reason why she is getting the 50 dollar pre-2 phone, on contract for 2 years. If she goes back on contract then she has to pay the full price of pre-2 or return it within 30 days. I think its less now like 14 days, but not sure. You should wait till pre-3 comes out on Verizon, upgrade and let her keep it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3.    #3  
    let her keep the Pre3? there's a reason she still has and only wants a dumb phone...
    well you could teach her, thats what I did to my wife, now she loves webOS. Though she doesnt know its webOS
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #5  
    she wont go for it. she REFUSES to pay anything more than what she currently uses. it would require her getting a dataplan.

She just finally understands how to text also.
    Last edited by blackfireball5; 06/20/2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    You can do it. As long as it gets activated on some line. It doesn't have to be hers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    She can get off the data plan if she claims to have lost her new phone and goes back to her old phone.
    Bear in mind that you can pick up a Pre2 for about 100 on ebay. I daresay there are US variants for similar prices and even if not, if you are swapping the coms boards a UK GSM should be ok I think as a starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Bear in mind that you can pick up a Pre2 for about 100 on ebay. I daresay there are US variants for similar prices and even if not, if you are swapping the coms boards a UK GSM should be ok I think as a starting point.
    Or instead of $162.22 USD you could pay $49.99 USD for the Verizon one like you originally planned.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Or instead of $162.22 USD you could pay $49.99 USD for the Verizon one like you originally planned.
    My point was that buying off-contract will save you considerably more than $110 over the course of a 1 or 2 year contract. Over here I can get a PAYG sim with unlimited data and lots of minutes for 10 a month, how much is your contract costing each month?
    We Americans do not mind extending our contracts to pay dirt cheap prices on phones since we dont get a better rate plan if we bring our own phone to a carrier anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    My mom is on verizon, has a dumb phone, and has an upgrade ready. I am on Sprint and want to do a frankenPre2.

Can my mom upgrade to the Pre 2, then right after go back to her dumb phone without a dataplan?

essentially i just want to use her upgrade and renew the contract without actually activating the phone. anyone know how this could work?
    yes
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    She can get off the data plan if she claims to have lost her new phone and goes back to her old phone.
    I'd rather not risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    i have currently been bidding on ebay for Pre 2's for 2 weeks now. i will pay anything up to 200 dollars but either i have missed them or they go over that price for me. I'm gonna keep trying because I'm about 90% sure Sprint wont be getting the Pre3 in the next couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    yes
    little more detail please?

Yes

little more detail please?
    once your mom activates and programs the phone she can switch back (within mere seconds of activation) to her feature phone, all smartphone features will automatically fall off (including data)

The only fees that will be included is the upgrade fee and a prorated bill for data. But she won't have any data plan for future bills

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Yes
    once your mom activates and programs the phone she can switch back (within mere seconds of activation) to her feature phone, all smartphone features will automatically fall off (including data)

The only fees that will be included is the upgrade fee and a prorated bill for data. But she won't have any data plan for future bills

now i was told different which is why i posted this thread. i heard that you arent able to take off the data plan right away. like it had to be on for a certain period of time.
    now i was told different which is why i posted this thread. i heard that you arent able to take off the data plan right away. like it had to be on for a certain period of time.
    Nope.. The feature phone will force all non related features to drop... (especially if its a feature that the device can't support) now if her phone can support a 30 dataplan they would have to manually remove it. The reps "usually" have the option to stop the feature from that day on..

The feature is not part of the contract, its a plan that MUST go with the phone she got, however if she doesn't have that phone.. Say she lost it next day and went back to her old phone, they can't Force her to keep the feature for any amount of time, since her current phone doesn't require it.

You can double check if you like but I'm certain of all this

17.    #17  
    thanks for your input. I'll keep it in mind. though i just purchased an unlocked pre 2 last night from a guy on Craigslist.