Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I recently bought a brand new Pre 2 and had a guy online (mailed it to him) turn it into a Sprint FrankenPre 2. It worked perfect up until yesterday.

Last night I did a reboot (I do this from time to time as I always thought it kept the phone running fast). After the reboot my cell signal was 100% absent. Normally I would have a SPRINT logo on the upper left portion of my screen (top) as well as bars and a 3G icon next to my battery. All 3 are missing. To top that off, I cannot do a reboot by hitting the solid square key, SYM and R. I can also not do a reboot by holding down the power button. It gives me no options. To top all of that off, when I open any app, when flicking the card off the screen it FREEZES with the card stuck half way off.

I have tried the following to remedy the situation.

1. Battery pull. It reboots this way but all problems remain.

2. I tried hooking it to my laptop. With my other Pre2 (frankenpre) it says "Just Charge" or "USB Mode." With this non-working Pre2 I receive NO options and windows says driver not successfully installed every single time I plug the darn thing in. Why does one Pre2 plug in fine to my laptop and not the other?

My intentions for plugging the faulty Pre2 into my laptop was to perform a doctor using the file the guy sent me (same file he made for me). Oddly I used this file on my other Pre2 and it doctored fine. However, when I click the file it does nothing. Nothing opens on my laptop. It's as if I didn't even click a file. Is this because I moved the file OFF of my desktop (where I originally installed it) and into a folder? I can't figure out why the file won't open.

Has anyone experienced this with their Pre or FrankenPre? Any suggestions? I can't seem to get in contact with the guy who originally frankenpre'd my phone. Any suggestions on where I can get a new file? (PM Me). I do not understand the stuff on webOS internals on how to create a doctor.

Appreciate all of your help and suggestions!

P.S. Phone has not been dropped or gotten wet. Phone is still in mint condition.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    A couple of suggestions. Once it boots from the battery pull, try holding down the power button while switching the mute button on & off three times. If it still boots with no phone signal or data you probably have to doctor. If the Doctor version you have worked once before it should work again. Are you Windows? If so, try right clicking the file and left click on "open with" and then select java. If this doesn't work, right click to "properties" then "security" and make sure you have the proper permissions enabled for your laptop. If you need a new Doctor version I can send you one Hope this helps. Sorry about the poopy circumstance. I feel you!
    hasnt happened for my frankenpre2...

remetadoctor it?
  4.    #4  
    I want to re doctor it but the file I have does not open. I did not make the file as I did not know how. I was hoping someone could PM me as to where I could get the file and also how to make the Pre respond when hooking it up to my laptop.

Thanks

I want to help you, but you really aren't giving me much here. What Operating System do you have?. Windows? Mac? Ubuntu? All the steps are freely available here http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki?search=sprint+pre+2. The hard part (the surgery) has already been done for you. You said the doctor version you have opened and worked once before. What program are you trying to open the file with? Does the doctor file say ".jar" at the end? This is completely fixable. All of the info to fix this is available through this site & webosinternals.org. Search these forums and you will find your answers. We are here to help. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+open+a+.jar+file%3F Good luck!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info. I finally was able to get the sprintmetadoctor .jar file to open. I copied it and pasted it into the original download folder I used to have it in. It opened right up.

Now I've run into more trouble.

Because when plugging in a usb plug into my frankenpre would do nothing on my PC I had no idea how to get this metadoctor to see my phone.

I therefore pulled the battery, put it back in, held the volume up button and then while holding the volume up I plugged the micro USB cable in. Sure enough I got the white USB symbol on my screen. Good I thought. Next I double clicked on the metadoctor .jar file. It opened. I confirmed english and it started doing it's thing. Sadly, at 9 percent it quit. It said "We were unable to reset your phone. Please go to Palm Support for help." I've tried this same process 3 times, each with it stopping at 9 percent.

I should mention during the 1 through 9 percent the PC kept trying to install and find the supposedly new hardware I was hooking up. As mentioned, it is not new hardware as my other frankenpre2 hooks up and is derected just fine.

I am now stalled with no idea where to go next at the screen showing a large white down arrow on a computer chip. My Pre has no Rom Image installed at this point.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Pre Central Community.

P.S. I am running Windows 7 on my laptop.

7.    #7  
    I did manage to get it through 100 percent.... I chose English UK the first 3 times. Now that I chose United States English it loaded fine.

However... Now a problem once again...

Now it is stuck at the blue cloud screen with the rotating circle. I have a battery icon and a wifi icon... No SPRINT in the top left or EV or Bars on the right. Is this now sounding like a hardware issue? I did not frankenpre this thing... But perhaps there is a loose connection somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

Was the Sprint comm board you had swapped into the Pre 2 activated prior to installation? If not, that most likely is your problem. The comm board has to have been activated prior to installation. Since you had it working before I'm assuming it was activated. Have you tried manually turning on data and the phone radio from the phone menu? (Swipe down from the top left corner of the phone app and see if you can turn on data, enable roaming and set voice network to automatic)
    Last edited by matteebee13; 06/19/2011 at 10:16 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Was the Sprint comm board you had swapped into the Pre 2 activated prior to installation? If not, that most likely is your problem. The comm board has to have been activated prior to installation. Since you had it working before I'm assuming it was activated. Have you tried manually turning on data and the phone radio from the phone menu? (Swipe down from the top left corner of the phone app and see if you can turn on data, enable roaming and set voice network to automatic)
    The Sprint comm board was already activated as the frankenpre 2 was working. Remember, it worked and then suddenly after a reboot lost the bars, EV icon and SPRINT icon. I tried pulling the battery (as a normal reboot wouldn't work). I also tried putting it into airplane mode (and planned on turning airplane mode right after) but the phone would freeze each time. Also, as mentioned, if I opened any apps and flicked them off the screen it would freeze the pre with half the card froze at the top of the screen.

I did take the frankenpre 2 apart and pulled the comm board (as mentioned) and re-set it back in place. It is connected fine.

Does anyone find it odd that it gets stuck at the blue cloud screen with the spinning circle? Even if I wern't to receive a cellular signal shouldn't the phone at least get past the spinning circle and at least ask me for my palm profile password?

Any ideas on what I can try next?

Thanks

How about asking the person that set it up for you? It seems pretty lame to leave you hanging like this. You might want to just go ahead and create your own doctor from scratch. My guess is you have a corrupt file somewhere in the version you are running (that he provided). It showed up working, then locked up. Every attempt you've made running his doctor hasn't seemed to have fixed it, and it should. See if he'll send you another copy. If you can't get a hold of him, I have a version I can send you. Also sounds like your hardware is solid, since you checked the only two connection points and they are ok. Keep me posted here or PM me if you can't reach him/her.
  11.    #11  
    Matteebee13,

I tried sending you a PM but it said your account would not accept PMs. I'd love to try your doctor. Can you email it to me? Erasef301@yahoo.com.

Let's go over a hypothetical situation. If the doctor I had DID work and there was a a problem with the comm board would I at least get past the rotating circle on the blue cloud screen and be prompted for a palm profile password?

I'll try your doctor when I get it and report back.

One more thing to note.... Because my fiancÚ needed a phone we had to (after failing on getting her pre2 to work and writing this post) re-activate her Pre minus. That is what she is using now. That being said, should I put the sprint comm board on her now active Pre minus into the pre2 and then run the doctor you are giving me? Will I need to run any 1.4.5 doctor and if so would I run the Sprint or Verizon version?

Appreciate your help.
    Sorry about the PM situation; I'll look into it. If you put her activated Sprint comm board into a Pre 2 you will just run the doctor I send you with it installed and you should go straight to 2.1 on Sprint. No 1.4.5 involved. 1.4.5 won't even run on a Pre 2. I'll email you the doctor in the morning... I'm writing this from bed! :P
  13.    #13  
    Sorry about the PM situation; I'll look into it. If you put her activated Sprint comm board into a Pre 2 you will just run the doctor I send you with it installed and you should go straight to 2.1 on Sprint. No 1.4.5 involved. 1.4.5 won't even run on a Pre 2. I'll email you the doctor in the morning... I'm writing this from bed! :P
    Thanks! Really appreciate your help. No rush, I get home from work at 7 central.

I have a feeling the file will be too big for email. I might have to create a dropbox account or something. My wife & kid both use my computer to watch TV & stuff, so this might take me a bit to wedge in some time. I should have it out to you soon though.
  15.    #15  
    Dropbox will be just perfect. Don't rush. I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out how to put this file in dropbox. It might take me a few attempts. Please be patient. You should have it soon. Is the Pre 2 from Verizon or was it unlocked? There are two different versions you can run... This one is for unlocked: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33209217/web...a-wr-2.1.0.jar It's uploading right now and should be available within an hour.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 06/22/2011 at 07:24 PM.
  17.    #17  
    It's from Verizon. Will this unlocked .jar doctor work on this phone?

Can you email me the dropbox link?

Erasef301@gmail.com.

Appreciate it.

I don't believe it will. This version is for unlocked. I will have to create a new doctor for you. My wife wants to watch tv right now, so unfortunately I will have to make one for you tomorrow when she leaves for the weekend. Sorry it won't be sooner. It's really not that hard if you follow the steps in the wiki and use a dual boot system to run Ubuntu on your Windows 7 machine. It took me all of about 1 hr to have it up and running. Then you will always have a fallback to create doctors and do all your Pre stuff in one place and you will be able to "talk" to your Pre in it's native linux language. WebOS Internals made it really easy if you just follow the directions and click on the links. It's all there and pretty near foolproof. sprint pre 2
  19.    #19  
    I don't believe it will. This version is for unlocked. I will have to create a new doctor for you. My wife wants to watch tv right now, so unfortunately I will have to make one for you tomorrow when she leaves for the weekend. Sorry it won't be sooner. It's really not that hard if you follow the steps in the wiki and use a dual boot system to run Ubuntu on your Windows 7 machine. It took me all of about 1 hr to have it up and running. Then you will always have a fallback to create doctors and do all your Pre stuff in one place and you will be able to "talk" to your Pre in it's native linux language. WebOS Internals made it really easy if you just follow the directions and click on the links. It's all there and pretty near foolproof. sprint pre 2
    No rush on the doctor. I understand a man needs family time.

I did consider making my own doctor way back when but gave up. I saw a ton of command line which I know is cut and paste but I just didn't want to mess it up.

Here's a question for you.

Once I get this doctor do I follow these steps?

1. Take comm board out of her now activated sprint pre minus?

2. Put her sprint comm board into the pre 2.

3. Put pre 2 into usb mode by holding the volume up button and inserting the micro usb cable.

4. Run your doctor.

In theory I should get past the blue cloud screen with the spinning circle. I'm guessing next it will ask for her palm profile. (should I have logged out of it on the pre minus first?

When will I see the EV icon and Sprint logo on the Pre 2?

Appreciate it

Sprint logo, EV etc. shouldn't be visible until you logged into the network. On GSM, you need to enter your PIN before you can log in. Don't know if it is the same on US networks.

However, if you ever manage to get past the blue clouds, open the menu from the upper left. There should be a menu point for the network, which is probably set on automatic. Or it is the service provider choice = automatic. (Don't have a pre on hand to have a look) It sometimes happens to me, that I cannot do voice calls, or cannot use data. What I do then is switch from auto to manual, pick a network type or service provider, and switch back to automatic. Dont ask me why, but this sometimes fixes things. It is actually a fix that Vodafone Hotline recommends to customers under circumstances, so seems this didn't help just me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast