Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I was planning to buy unlocked Pre 2 from UK and I wanted to know if Pre 2 will get the software update for skype integration.
    Does anyone here have any idea about this as this is a quite an important feature for me.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I don't know about Skype, but supposedly Pre2 will be updated to what Veer and Pre3 are running. So if it's a webOS 2.2 thing, then with a update it will be available.
    However when HP/Palm promises something, I'm always very skeptical.
    I sure hope so
    I hope so too, I'm very sad that that feature isn't already built into synergy. It would be so handy to skype chat people with the messaging app!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    i rearlly hope we do get the update that the pre 3 has as i just baught a pre 2 and its awsome comeing from a pre- luv it
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the pre 2 comes with skype built in. for verizon in the US anyway
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    that sucks for us then
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the pre 2 comes with skype built in. for verizon in the US anyway
    Excuse me for being an *****...but how and where is skype built in to the Verizon Pre2?

On my computer, skype is an application I use to either make a voice or video call, or to chat. It was a wonderful thing to have when i was overseas for almost 3 months. What is skype on a Pre2? It isn't an app on my phone...is it built into SMS? Is it built into the phone app?

Help me understand where and how I access the use of Skype on my Verizon Pre2...please?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Excuse me for being an *****...but how and where is skype built in to the Verizon Pre2?

On my computer, skype is an application I use to either make a voice or video call, or to chat. It was a wonderful thing to have when i was overseas for almost 3 months. What is skype on a Pre2? It isn't an app on my phone...is it built into SMS? Is it built into the phone app?

Help me understand where and how I access the use of Skype on my Verizon Pre2...please?
    mm I thought it was pretty built-in to my Unlocked GSM/NA Pre2. I added my Skype creds to Accounts, and I am able to text/chat (ie type to people, in the messaging app) and voice/chat (ie talk to people, in phone app, contacts app, etc) to other Skype subscribers. With a small amount of $$'s (about 10) added to my Skype account I am able to choose to make calls via the cellular carrier or via SkypeOut. This is a setting in Phone Prefs if I recall correctly. Select to ask everytime, or set it one way or another for all calls or international calls.

I know this because I used all of these features last January (2012) when I took my Pre2 to Australia and used it with a pre-paid SIM from Telstra.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

Skype is not an App for webOS but a synergy plugin...

For Verizon webOS 2.1.0, Skype Mobile is part of the carrier apps of which only work on the Verizon Data network (it is also backwards compatible with the Verizon PrePlus running webOS 2.1.0 (build 284 or 285).

For WR/ROW or meta doctored Verizon webOS 2.2.4, Skype is updated to Direct Skype, which again is not an app but a synergy connector, also it works over WiFi or a carrier data network.

Both add a contact plugin, im, voice (but no video) calls.

You use the phone app for calls, contacts for the contacts and messaging for ims.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/23/2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Skype is not an App for webOS but a synergy plugin...

For Verizon webOS 2.1.0, Skype Mobile is part of the carrier apps of which only work on the Verizon Data network (it is also backwards compatible with the Verizon PrePlus running webOS 2.1.0 (build 284 or 285).

For WR/ROW or meta doctored Verizon webOS 2.2.4, Skype is updated to Direct Skype, which again is not an app but a synergy connector, also it works over WiFi or a carrier data network.

Both add a contact plugin, im, voice (but no video) calls.

You use the phone app for calls, contacts for the contacts and messaging for ims.
    John Steffes its %100 correct, its a synergy plugging that it has been included with WebOS 2.1-- it was added as a feature(thanks to WebOS team and Skype Inc.) before even Microsoft placed their hands on the company Skype the deal went through. Anyways, while its a synergy plugging, you could easily find it on the messaging application or on the settings menu listed "Accounts".

While its nice to see Skype in WebOS, it would have been better to have it as a synergy plugging and an native application in the App Catalog. In my opinion on using it, it not that smooth process and it needs a few more work around the edges. Also don't know the reason, why WebOS team didn't work with Skype company to bring one way video calling as a feature in the phone. The iPhone had that capability, way before having front-facing camera.

It's also just strange that you could only use it while you have a 3G connection with Verizon, not under WiFi which really truly undermines its ability. And one more question to those silly people at HP, where is the WebOS 2.2.4 update for Verizon users ? Is that is the way that HP pretends to say that have support for WebOS, geez
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    afaikafaikafaik, $its$ $Verizon$'$s$ $fault$ $for$ $the$ $lack$ $of$ $updates$. $I$'$m$ $pretty$ $sure$ $updates$ $have$ $to$ $go$ $through$ '$carrier$ $testing$', $if$ $ever$.

and it uses minutes too, IIRC.

Verizon just wants you to pay MOAR MONEY!! -evil laugh-
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    afaikafaikafaik, $its$ $Verizon$'$s$ $fault$ $for$ $the$ $lack$ $of$ $updates$. $I$'$m$ $pretty$ $sure$ $updates$ $have$ $to$ $go$ $through$ '$carrier$ $testing$', $if$ $ever$.

and it uses minutes too, IIRC.

Verizon just wants you to pay MOAR MONEY!! -evil laugh-
    You are correct, it is Verizon that is holding up the firmware, I have a buddy that worked for Verizon, he said the thought goes, I put one in a contact for 2 years, I then, only release updates when a critical flaw/bug is found (security), but they do not want to release feature updates, the reason he was told by his management, upgrade your phone, see if you want that feature Verizon has a phone they just released with it, so pay full price for the phone (guess what Verizon gets their cut unless it is a ebay model then they already got their cut). Now you got a new phone and within 3 months there is a new one which has what you really wanted...

So they also had a webOS 2.1.0 for the PrePlus (I have seen the build), never would they release it. IMHO, Verizon is all about what can I take from you ($$$), not how can I help you. Share everything all of your money and get less then you had before.

FYI This was sent from my PrePlus using webOS 2.2.4 on Verizon, if they only allowed the mobile hotspot (free like the PrePlus 5G deal) on the Pre2/3, I would switch, but love my unlimited data plan with 5G teather.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/24/2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    You are correct, it is Verizon that is holding up the firmware, I have a buddy that worked for Verizon, he said the thought goes, I put one in a contact for 2 years, I then, only release updates when a critical flaw/bug is found (security), but they do not want to release feature updates, the reason he was told by his management, upgrade your phone, see if you want that feature Verizon has a phone they just released with it, so pay full price for the phone (guess what Verizon gets their cut unless it is a ebay model then they already got their cut). Now you got a new phone and within 3 months there is a new one which has what you really wanted...

So they also had a webOS 2.1.0 for the PrePlus (I have seen the build), never would they release it. IMHO, Verizon is all about what can I take from you ($$$), not how can I help you. Share everything all of your money and get less then you had before.

FYI This was sent from my PrePlus using webOS 2.2.4 on Verizon, if they only allowed the mobile hotspot (free like the PrePlus 5G deal) on the Pre2/3, I would switch, but love my unlimited data plan with 5G teather.
    While I will like to blame Verizon, specially with their recent wakes up rising prices to make customer pay more while they offer less choices for customers. We all know, that Verizon Wireless company is as bad as AT&T however, I think that much of the hold up could be partially blamed for HP too. Because, the ways that HP is slowly moving with this project of WebOS and the poor management not only Verizon could be the only party to take the whole blame for this fiasco of not releasing the update 2.2.4. If HP could instead of dragging their feet and really put an effort on this WebOS science project, maybe then we could probably be seeing this update of WebOS 2.2.4 on our Verizon's Palm Pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Do some research on this since I don't have any Verizon equipment, but I seem to recall people saying you can just doctor it to 2.2.4 if you want it. HP never had the clout to push the carriers around, and after the pre3, they likely never will unless someone at HP has been ****ing someone at Verizon, and even then that's not likely because Leo ****ed them far worse than anyone could now.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities