Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Almost 4 days now with my Pre2 and today I ran it parallel to my htc Desire, to figure out the differences. A major drawback I've found in Pre2 is the "Push" email. It's not at all a "Push" email in anyway (or is it just me?) While working with both phones, I did two online transactions, asked a friend to send me a message from twitter and I received all three emails instantly on my Android but only one got delivered to my Pre.
    Right now, my sister sent me a message on facebook, I immediately received the email on my Android - since I was using laptop that's why I know that it got delivered to Android the moment I received it on facebook. But surprisingly...it tool a while to get pushed to Pre2. Then to test it, I sent reply from Pre2 via email and it didn't update the message on my facebook, in the contrary I always reply my facebook messages via email on Android and they get delivered instantly.

    And if I'm not wrong, email was and still is the main feature which gave birth to smart-phones and if smart-phones can't handle this, what will you say?

    I was and am still loving the Pre2 but I need real time Push emails. Can you guys tell me what should I do? Is there any third part email app that really delivers emails in real-time.

    Or, will I have to switch back to Android to get Push emails?
  2. #2  
    You have to set the email to push notifications.
    Sprint Love
  3. #3  
    By default, when you set up an email account in the stock (only?) email application, it sets it up to get the email every 15 minutes. Which, you are correct, is pull email. However, for IMAP and Gmail accounts you can switch this to "as email arrives" and it becomes push email.

    To make the change:
    1. Start the email app
    2. Swipe down in the "Email" lable in the upper left hand corner then select "Preferences & Accounts"
    3. Tap each IMAP or GMAIL account
    4. In the "Sync" section, switch "Get Email" from "every 15 minutes" to "as items arrive"

    The default is set up this way (I think) because the webOS engineers thought this setting would be nicer to the battery. And in certain situations, it probably is. For example, if you get a *LOT* of email. You're probably better off just using the radio to download it all at once, and then resting for 15 minutes. OTOH if you don't get that much email. You're probably better off using "As email arrives" because the phone will maintain a connection to the server and only have to use the radio when the server says, "Hey I've got some email".

    I guess the webOS engineers figured people got a lot of email.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    By default, when you set up an email account in the stock (only?) email application, it sets it up to get the email every 15 minutes. Which, you are correct, is pull email. However, for IMAP and Gmail accounts you can switch this to "as email arrives" and it becomes push email.

    To make the change:
    1. Start the email app
    2. Swipe down in the "Email" lable in the upper left hand corner then select "Preferences & Accounts"
    3. Tap each IMAP or GMAIL account
    4. In the "Sync" section, switch "Get Email" from "every 15 minutes" to "as items arrive"

    The default is set up this way (I think) because the webOS engineers thought this setting would be nicer to the battery. And in certain situations, it probably is. For example, if you get a *LOT* of email. You're probably better off just using the radio to download it all at once, and then resting for 15 minutes. OTOH if you don't get that much email. You're probably better off using "As email arrives" because the phone will maintain a connection to the server and only have to use the radio when the server says, "Hey I've got some email".

    I guess the webOS engineers figured people got a lot of email.
    Yes, I've set it to "As items arrive", but even then I noticed that emails are late.

    Secondly, what about replies sent to facebook via email. They don't get delivered as well.
  5. #5  
    I can't comment on Facebook, as I've turned off all mail based notifications, but my experience with e-mail (both GMail and Exchange) is that messages do arrive instantaneously. I've tested this by sending messages to myself from both my daughters iPod Touch and from a computer. The message almost always arrives within a second or two.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    Yes, I've set it to "As items arrive", but even then I noticed that emails are late.
    I haven't seen that. I have both gmail and IMAP accounts. And both of them generate an alert on my phone within a few seconds of when I send the email.
    Secondly, what about replies sent to facebook via email. They don't get delivered as well.
    That I have noticed. I don't have an answer for that one.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  7. #7  
    I get all mine instantly. I don't know...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  8. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #8  
    Exchange, imap and gmail - as stated are all direct push.


    I found a verizon store with a live pre2 and was playing with it and i hear a salesmen in the background telling some guy "no one does email like blackberry! its the best in notification time"

    really? no... grah it took much effort not to enter myself into that conversation.

    If your having email issues and your connection/reception is fine try an remove the accounts and readd- and check the above listed settings.
  9. #9  
    I have both my unactivated Pre 2.1 and Pre Plus on "as email arrives". I notice emails come even faster than my desktop with Thunderbird.

    Only thing that does NOT work properly is marking email as read. I mark them as read on my desktop, it doesn't seem to get synced to my phone until I manually refresh, even after new emails come in.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10. #10  
    I have gmail set to "as items arrive". If I'm paying a bill, for example, and I have the receipt emailed to me, it shows up in the email app right away. Same goes for all my emails.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I have both my unactivated Pre 2.1 and Pre Plus on "as email arrives". I notice emails come even faster than my desktop with Thunderbird.

    Only thing that does NOT work properly is marking email as read. I mark them as read on my desktop, it doesn't seem to get synced to my phone until I manually refresh, even after new emails come in.
    Same here. Other than some random instances where my Pre+ seems to forget what e-mail notifications are, I get notifications instantly. But the fact that they don't always update if you've read the messages using some other client is extremely frustrating.

Posting Permissions