Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my phone. I am thinking that if you need instructions to know the 'swipe' gestures, this is a bad sign. It was. The keyboard is unusable, except for maybe a chicken to peck at it or if I use a stylus. i see info on a buggy virtual keyboard. I must say being with iPhone since the first models makes this experience completely unexpectedly bad. I would just guess someone would look at the iPhone or even Android and attempt to improve on it. WebOS looks to be as relevant as OS/2 was. Maybe it should be called iOS/2?

Is there any signs of life for this product in the future?

Akon
    Quote Originally Posted by akon View Post
    I just got my phone. I am thinking that if you need instructions to know the 'swipe' gestures, this is a bad sign. It was. The keyboard is unusable, except for maybe a chicken to peck at it or if I use a stylus. i see info on a buggy virtual keyboard. I must say being with iPhone since the first models makes this experience completely unexpectedly bad. I would just guess someone would look at the iPhone or even Android and attempt to improve on it. WebOS looks to be as relevant as OS/2 was. Maybe it should be called iOS/2?

Akon
    Umm firstly there is a tutorial on swiping when you first start the phone.. Although I don't know anyone who can't figure out how to swipe up.

Secondly... What are you talking about... Which phone?.. The pre2 has an excellent keyboard.. The veer is even smaller keyboard and have rave review about how surprisingly usable it is..

So in conclusion.. Why are you trolling here?

And yes I will call it trolling when you come here and make such a post that's contrary to what & how the ROW view webos..

You're not even asking for help..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    By the sound of it, you're simply an iPhone kind of person, who is annoyed that his not-iphone isn't an iPhone. And if iOS is your thing, that's great. But the first order of business is to realize you're not using iOS and to go with the new flow instead of fighting it.

My best advice is to get used to the way this device works. Mess around with the keyboard more and you'll be typing like a pro. Get used to the idea of having cards out on your device at all times. Stack them the way you want and keep them around instead of closing them to get a hang of this whole multitasking business. And lastly, those gestures will be second nature to you in no time. You'll soon be bothered that you can't do them on other phones or tablets. =P

Akon
    Let me give you a few pointers, tips, and justifications that may change your mind. However, not every OS is for everyone. I made the switch from an iPhone 4 to a Palm Pre 2 about 2 months ago (maybe a bit less) and I am LOVING the Pre 2; although I may be a bit different than you because I had a Pre minus two years ago.

First of all, yes, the gestures take a while to get used to, however, you will realize that it provides a MUCH more beneficial and streamlined experience. You have the same back, forward, and exit gestures from EVERY SINGLE app, no matter what it is. This means that you don't ever have to search for the "back" button. You just swipe.

Second, the keyboard is purely subjective, but, I will say that it is the best keyboard I have ever used for the simple fact that there little to no travel time and it is very well designed for use with thumbs. I have no nails and I use it MUCH faster than my iPhone 4's keyboard when I had it.

The iPhone is for simpleton: people that don't know how to use a computer (basically). That is the reason that I left the platform. It is EXTREMELY limited, but with that limitation comes ease of use. Let me explain a few things:

iOS has the worst notifications in the planet. Even iOS just copied Android- and they took 5 YEARS (!!!!) just to do that.

Go to "compose email" on your iPhone..... now try to attach something.... anything..... right. You can't. You can only attach from the pictures app. That's it. Not even from the email application itself.

What can you do with your homescreen? Widgets? No. Desktop view of your applications? No. They even took 4 years to add wallpapers. I would like to use my homescreen for something important like widgets (android) or a desktop view (webOS). In addition, you have "Just Type" on webOS, and if you haven't figured out how to use that, then you need to ASAP. Just start typing from your homescreen and you can start a text, calendar appointment, task, update facebook, and more.... all from the home screen.

Another cool thing: go to the "screen & lock" on your Pre 2 and turn on "switch applications." This is off by default so that you don't get confused when learning the gestures, but basically what it does is allow you to switch applications in an instant. Literally. You don't even have to go back to the card view. What you do is turn it on, then just do a FULL SWIPE from side to side on your gesture area (a full swipe, not a half swipe- this just goes back and forward) and it will switch applications to the one to the left or right depending on your swipe. It makes switching apps SUPER EASY.

Another cool tip: when you are in an application and you want to quickly display your dock so that you switch to one of the apps in your dock (it's a palm tradition to make 4 most used apps always available as fast as possible) all you have to do is swipe up from the gesture area to the screen, but instead of letting go, KEEP your finger on the screen. The dock will pop up even if you are in an application.

iPhone is a better hardware, but webOS is BY FAR the best software. I can show you more cool stuff if you would like, but I am sure that if you give it a week or so you will love webOS and not go back to such a lmited system as iOS. I mean come on, you even have to exit an applications to change the settings for it!!!! (i seriously still have trouble believing this design is actually true....because its so odd)
    Speaking of keyboard, I went to the verizon store to look at the Pre and they had 4 iphone4 on display so I started playing with them. I tried to figure out how to erase a whole word at a time. Turns out it can't be done without select and cut. Or at least the sales rep didn't know how. Fail, couldn't be my phone.
    the general consensus is that webOS is easier Ro learn and use than any other phone, including the iphone. You learn 5 gestures in about 5 minutes:

back swipe
    up swipe
    side swipe
    tap
    toss

but, if you want it to do everything the same way apple does it, you won't ever be happy. If you spend a few days with webos gestures, you will feel like an expert. You may still prefer the iphone, but you won't ever say that its easier than using webOS.

so, embrace the gestures and the physical keyboard, ask us how to do stuff. Lots of good help around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the general consensus is that webOS is easier Ro learn and use than any other phone, including the iphone. You learn 5 gestures in about 5 minutes:

back swipe
    up swipe
    side swipe
    tap
    toss

but, if you want it to do everything the same way apple does it, you won't ever be happy. If you spend a few days with webos gestures, you will feel like an expert. You may still prefer the iphone, but you won't ever say that its easier than using webOS.

so, embrace the gestures and the physical keyboard, ask us how to do stuff. Lots of good help around here.
    what he said !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Umm firstly there is a tutorial on swiping when you first start the phone.. Although I don't know anyone who can't figure out how to swipe up.

Secondly... What are you talking about... Which phone?.. The pre2 has an excellent keyboard.. The veer is even smaller keyboard and have rave review about how surprisingly usable it is..

And yes I will call it trolling when you come here and make such a post that's contrary to what & how the ROW view webos..

Came across this web site after trying to figure the Pre 2 out after googling virtual keyboard. But -I had to RTFM to figure out how to close an application. Swipe Up? Point - if you need to use a manual to figure out a swipe, there is a problem. Why would occur to anyone to close an app by swiping it up? It's counter intuitive.

If this is a forum that presumes first time users dismay is trolling, then that says a lot about the group think going on here. It would be great to know what the heck the future is to overcome basic issues. I am used to Apple, where there are lots of dev, jailbreaking, and mods to improve things - without the hostility. Forums should not be about re-enforcement of a certain point of view.

1. USB doesn't work with my car. (Sync/MFT)
    2. Keyboard doesn't work for humans.
    3. I saw virtual keyboard was buggy.

The request for help was more akin...install this firmware or patch, or whatever. Even on the Iphone I install an optional keyboard with 5 rows, dock mods so i can more icons, and other useful mods. Yes, there was a lot of shock and complaint - but geeze - instead of accusing one of trolling as a passive attack, how about some suggestions?

Yes. I am using this device because i have to. Yes, I think its confusing. Yes, I think there has to be some sort of decent workarounds- at least that was my hope.
  9.    #9  

back swipe
    up swipe
    side swipe
    tap
    toss

I did not need a manual to figure out how to close apps on iPhone. As I suggested, I would see WebOS as an opportunity to innovate, not offer a half hearted 'me too' interface. I don't see anything new here, at least not yet.

Embrace the keyboard? With a tooth pick? it's near impossible to do email. With Apple, I can have the normal keyboard or turn the phone side ways and have a larger one. That is not rocket science.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    By the sound of it, you're simply an iPhone kind of person, who is annoyed that his not-iphone isn't an iPhone. And if iOS is your thing, that's great. But the first order of business is to realize you're not using iOS and to go with the new flow instead of fighting it.

My best advice is to get used to the way this device works. Mess around with the keyboard more and you'll be typing like a pro. Get used to the idea of having cards out on your device at all times. Stack them the way you want and keep them around instead of closing them to get a hang of this whole multitasking business. And lastly, those gestures will be second nature to you in no time. You'll soon be bothered that you can't do them on other phones or tablets. =P
    Thanks, this is the most useful comment. What I like about my iPhone is how customized I can make it via jailbreaking it. Apple at least looks at the jailbreak community and improves the products. I never heard though, live with it though. Maybe the dev community will take an earnest interest in WebOS and do similar.
    Came across this web site after trying to figure the Pre 2 out after googling virtual keyboard. But -I had to RTFM to figure out how to close an application. Swipe Up? Point - if you need to use a manual to figure out a swipe, there is a problem. Why would occur to anyone to close an app by swiping it up? It's counter intuitive.

If this is a forum that presumes first time users dismay is trolling, then that says a lot about the group think going on here. It would be great to know what the heck the future is to overcome basic issues. I am used to Apple, where there are lots of dev, jailbreaking, and mods to improve things - without the hostility. Forums should not be about re-enforcement of a certain point of view.

The request for help was more akin...install this firmware or patch, or whatever. Even on the Iphone I install an optional keyboard with 5 rows, dock mods so i can more icons, and other useful mods. Yes, there was a lot of shock and complaint - but geeze - instead of accusing one of trolling as a passive attack, how about some suggestions?

Yes. I am using this device because i have to. Yes, I think its confusing. Yes, I think there has to be some sort of decent workarounds- at least that was my hope.
    Do you think it's intuitive to close an app by pressing a "center button?" It is far more intuitive to close an app by swiping it away than it is to press a button that's not even ON THE SCREEN. Don't you think? To close an app on a mac or windows, you don't press a button on the keyboard, you press the little "X" on the screen. On webOS, you swipe the program off the screen.

Again, the keyboard doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work for "humans."

I don't judge a phone for what it can do when it's hacked. I judge a phone for what it can do out of the box. The typical consumer doesn't care about jailbreak. It's kinda frustrating that all the iPhone junkies have their iPhones jailbroken. Why? Because they know they can't live with the limited functionality of the iPhone out of the box.

No ability to attach in email app. (after all of my little frustrations with the iPhone 4, this was what made me sell it and get a pre 2.... i couldn't believe it)
    Have to quit the app to change the settings for it. (???WHAT??)
    Took 5 years just to copy android notifications.
    Notifications now are incredibly intrusive.
    Useless home screen. (you want to make an iPhone from your pre 2? Just press the launcher button. There is your iPhone. and even then, with the pre 2 you can name and organize your pages)
    Boring user interface.(tap. tap. tap. press button. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. button. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. button. Double tap button. Tap button from home screen to search. Tap button to go back. tap tap tap)
    Multitasking is no intuitive.
    Takes 10 taps to get to where webOS gets in 2 (literally. Literally. Try turning on wifi on an iphone when youre on the browser. WebOS= 2 taps. iOS=8-10........ or switching apps webOS=1 swipe. iOS=3-4 taps/pushes)
    NO SYNERGY. (seriously this is a biggie)
    No task manager.

Those are some of the many reasons why webOS is truly superior in almost every way. If you like the simplicity and limited function of the iPhone, then that's ok. Not every phone and system is for everyone. That's why you have options.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Let me give you a few pointers, tips, and justifications that may change your mind. However, not every OS is for everyone. I made the switch from an iPhone 4 to a Palm Pre 2 about 2 months ago (maybe a bit less) and I am LOVING the Pre 2; although I may be a bit different than you because I had a Pre minus two years ago.

The iPhone is for simpleton: people that don't know how to use a computer (basically). That is the reason that I left the platform. It is EXTREMELY limited, but with that limitation comes ease of use. Let me explain a few things:
    i disagree. I jailbreak. I have customized themes, apps, functionality. I can even SSH a term into it. Your points are not invalid, but not exactly accurate. It's flexible. You can use it as is, or you can mod it intensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

Both of you guys need to chill out, Sketch42, cause you know a lot and he is new. Instead of just lashing back, sometime a better way of changing somebody's mind towards webOS is helping. And Akon you need to chill out too cause even though Sketch's answer maybe off track, there were plenty of other people who took time and effort to respond to you, in-order to ease you into webOS.
    This is the strong point of this webOS community, even if someone lashes out, others will still step up to help you with their time, effort and even their own money! (just ask webOS internals)
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Thanks, this is the most useful comment. What I like about my iPhone is how customized I can make it via jailbreaking it. Apple at least looks at the jailbreak community and improves the products. I never heard though, live with it though. Maybe the dev community will take an earnest interest in WebOS and do similar.
    so, why do you have anything other than an iphone? Clearly that's what u like.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    What can you do with your homescreen? Widgets? No. Desktop view of your applications? No. They even took 4 years to add wallpapers. I would like to use my homescreen for something important like widgets (android) or a desktop view (webOS). In addition, you have "Just Type" on webOS, and if you haven't figured out how to use that, then you need to ASAP. Just start typing from your homescreen and you can start a text, calendar appointment, task, update facebook, and more.... all from the home screen.

Another cool thing: go to the "screen & lock" on your Pre 2 and turn on "switch applications." This is off by default so that you don't get confused when learning the gestures, but basically what it does is allow you to switch applications in an instant. Literally. You don't even have to go back to the card view. What you do is turn it on, then just do a FULL SWIPE from side to side on your gesture area (a full swipe, not a half swipe- this just goes back and forward) and it will switch applications to the one to the left or right depending on your swipe. It makes switching apps SUPER EASY.

Another cool tip: when you are in an application and you want to quickly display your dock so that you switch to one of the apps in your dock (it's a palm tradition to make 4 most used apps always available as fast as possible) all you have to do is swipe up from the gesture area to the screen, but instead of letting go, KEEP your finger on the screen. The dock will pop up even if you are in an application.

iPhone is a better hardware, but webOS is BY FAR the best software. I can show you more cool stuff if you would like, but I am sure that if you give it a week or so you will love webOS and not go back to such a lmited system as iOS. I mean come on, you even have to exit an applications to change the settings for it!!!! (i seriously still have trouble believing this design is actually true....because its so odd)
    I have no choice but to give it a week and I'll keep an open mind. But, to defuse some bad assumptions, google SBSettings. I can swipe the top of my iphone and control all basic functions of the phone. I can even set the theme for this to look like LCARS from trek. I can swipe down and post to twitter and facebook with one action. Jailbreaking a phone allows for a lot of customization. I don't buy a computer and expect to be limited by what is shipped on it. why would I have same inclination for a phone. A phone running a variation of linux (iphone).
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Both of you guys need to chill out, Sketch42, cause you know a lot and he is new. Instead of just lashing back, sometime a better way of changing somebody's mind towards webOS is helping. And Akon you need to chill out too cause even though Sketch's answer maybe off track, there were plenty of other people who took time and effort to respond to you, in-order to ease you into webOS.
    This is the strong point of this webOS community, even if someone lashes out, others will still step up to help you with their time, effort and even their own money! (just ask webOS internals)
    Yes. You are right. Anyone have a hack to make it work with ford sync/mft?
  17.    #17  
    so, why do you have anything other than an iphone? Clearly that's what u like.
    company policy...new job. I still have the iphone.
    Not sure I understand how "gestures" are confusing to you, but if you open the keyboard, and just type the word "gesture" it will find the gesture tutorial app which you should have encountered when first using the phone. This also demonstrates a small part of the power of "just type". Yes, the tutorial could be seen as a "manual" of sorts, but these gestures are unique to webOS, and aren't really apparent when first using a webOS phone, so a tutorial or manual is kind of expected.

As far as the keyboard, ain't much you can do about that. The keyboard works extremely well for me, and many others. Calling it inoperable for humans is a silly exaggeration. Going from a virtual kb to a physical is gonna take some getting used to on any phone.

As far as customization of the phone, you need to look into preware and webOS internals. Preware is to webOS what Cydia is to iOS, and all the info you need can be found at Main Page - WebOS Internals, or searching the forums for preware.
    I think you've taken a very antagonistic tone. We love helping people and answering questions for people that want to learn and enjoy wenOS. Fell free to take advantage of the many helpful members here. However, if you hate the phone and think end users can magically make webOS emilate iOS, you've misunderstood their intent.

you had to go through a tutorial before u could even use the phone, so yes, the expectation is reasonable that you would know how to toss a card before u made your first call.

so let me suggest that you restart with less confrontation and replace it with a more inquisitive approach to interacting with other members.

Yes. You are right. Anyone have a hack to make it work with ford sync/mft?
    Doesn't ford sync work via blutooth? Works fine that way for me.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast