Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    the usb port is for charging, bluetooth is for communicating.
    Quote Originally Posted by akon View Post
    Yes. You are right. Anyone have a hack to make it work with ford sync/mft?
    What do you want to do with Ford Sync, receive calls? Play music? I have transferred all my contacts to my ford sync automatically. Now I press a button and say dial home and it dials home. Or I can receive calls over car stereos or redial the last number from steering wheel or any number by voicedial. All is done through bluetooth. Is that what you are asking? Just let me know what you need that iP did that pre-2 doesnt. It doesnt support text messaging over bluetooth, which sync doesnt allow you to receive or send anyway's if you are travelling over 5 miles an hour.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Thanks, this is the most useful comment. What I like about my iPhone is how customized I can make it via jailbreaking it. Apple at least looks at the jailbreak community and improves the products. I never heard though, live with it though. Maybe the dev community will take an earnest interest in WebOS and do similar.
    I didn't mean to imply that you should hunker down and deal with an inferior experience. I'm just suggesting you give webOS's strengths a chance to prove themselves. In the end you might not like it anyway, but approaching it with a hopeful mindset can't hurt.

one thing you should do is install preware to get your homebrew and patch fix. While there aren't any real VKB's yet, there are plenty of other ways to tweak your phone experience.

Also, webOS 3.0 on tablets will have a VKB... Maybe it will carry over to the phones too. Though that will be a while before phones get the update.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think you've taken a very antagonistic tone. We love helping people and answering questions for people that want to learn and enjoy wenOS. Fell free to take advantage of the many helpful members here. However, if you hate the phone and think end users can magically make webOS emilate iOS, you've misunderstood their intent.

you had to go through a tutorial before u could even use the phone, so yes, the expectation is reasonable that you would know how to toss a card before u made your first call.

so let me suggest that you restart with less confrontation and replace it with a more inquisitive approach to interacting with other members.
    I felt like I was talking about evolution to a bunch of 'creationists' evangelicals...Sorry for being defensive.
    I felt like I was talking about evolution to a bunch of 'creationists' evangelicals...Sorry for being defensive.
    hahahaha, that's how we feel about iPhone users.
    you might want to read this open letter to Pre Central members, and then try a new approach. I promise u will get lots of help, and wind up loving webOS...

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...l-members.html
    ok, time to get back on topic.
    <thread cleaned>
    I have had both iOS and Android devices prior to my Pre2, and in my view WebOS knocks spots off of them both.

I took about three minutes when I first booted the phone to go through the gestures, and that was it. While it is fair to say that no-one would ever be able to figure them out (especially if coming from another OS) without being told, you can't really say they're not intuitive. Swipe left for back, right for forward. To close a card, fling it off the screen. In fact it's the latter gesture that usually gets most "ooooohs" when I show people the phone.

It seems to me a lot of the OP's frustrations lie in the fact that they know iOS, would prefer iOS, but have been saddled with WebOS. And it will take a lot of convincing to get someone over a first impression that consists of "I didn't want this thing in the first place".
    I've hopped back and forward from iOS and webOS. webOS wins for me hands down...but the lack of apps does make me stray back now and again. Hopefully that will change soon
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    I had an iPhone (in fact, posted on the forum about it), bought a Pre 2 and decided it wasn't for me but because of the hardware rather than the software (turns out I don't like slide-out keyboards!). I'd say if that isn't an issue with you, stick with it. I found replacements for most of my iOS apps with a bit of searching and indeed some that were better. And webOS isn't inferior to iOS, just different - better in some ways, not so good in others.

I've now hopped over to a Windows Phone 7 and again it's very different - in fact, it's much more of a mix of iOS and webOS than first glance might suggest. But I'd happily come back to webOS in future as and when they get a candybar phone with an onscreen keyboard.

As the poster above says, the lack of apps is a bother. But that can't go any way but up when the Touchpad and Pre 3 arrive. HP paid a lot of money for Palm - they're not just going to let it die out.
    ok, time to get back on topic.
    <thread cleaned>
    Oh man! Bummer!
    I just got my phone. I am thinking that if you need instructions to know the 'swipe' gestures, this is a bad sign. It was.
    I'm sorry to hear this. The instructional videos are pretty clear and concise, and, everyone I have ever shown any WebOS device to picked them up in an instant because they are very intuitive, and, don't require precision or typing to accomplish manipulating the OS.

The keyboard is unusable, except for maybe a chicken to peck at it or if I use a stylus..
    Well, its a portrait keyboard, and it slides out when you need it, so, there are size limitations. I use a Pre+, whose keyboard is not quite as good as that on the Pre2, and it works just fine for me, and, I have fairly large hands (I can palm a basketball), however, it certainly is a personal/subjective issue, no doubt.

You MAY find it more useful to use the keyboard by using the tips of your fingers rather than the "flat" of your fingers, as most people try with small keyboards, at first.

i see info on a buggy virtual keyboard..
    The Pre 2 does not come with a virtual keyboard, however, one is available through PreWare for free, if you care to install that.

I must say being with iPhone since the first models makes this experience completely unexpectedly bad..
    This explains the tone of your post. No one likes being forced to use something that they did not choose for themselves, for sure.

Having said the above, if you are coming here for help with your Pre 2, trust me, this community can be an incredible resource for you, however, the members here are, just like you, human, and, you can always get more and better help from any fellow human being if you ask politely, rather than making comments like this one:

I would just guess someone would look at the iPhone or even Android and attempt to improve on it. WebOS looks to be as relevant as OS/2 was. Maybe it should be called iOS/2? .
    I know you didnt mean it as an insult, but, I think if you take a step back, you can see how some here would.

Is there any signs of life for this product in the future? Akon
    We believe so. HP bought Palm for $1.2 billion last year, and is now just starting to debut and release a whole slew of devices that WebOS will run. They are building a good portion of their future business on and around it, and they are the 3rd largest tech company in the world, with over 310,000 employees. I'd say that their interest in seeing WebOS succeed is pretty high.

So, welcome, and if you have specific questions on how to do something, or are experieincing a problem with your Pre2, just post them clearly, and Im sure someone will see them and be able to give you some guidance - I've done just that myself over the years, and always got great help.

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/17/2011 at 10:41 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

lol it's like me trying to use an apple laptop or ios. I hate em cause they are different than what I am use to. All I am going to say is the gestures and the keyboard are the best part of webos.. And seriously how can you not like how webos closes applications. LOL. I feel like your just stuck on apple. Close your eyes and pretend there is an apple on the back of the phone... You will prob start saying how amazing it is. Ios sucks compare to webos by the way. And I don't care how many apps it has.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Doesn't ford sync work via blutooth? Works fine that way for me.
    Yes. For the phone. For charging, I am disappointed I cannot use the USB port. Also, there is streaming of music. With iphone I can use composite video/usb cable to stream video. Car has to be in park though.

I didn't order a car charger because I presumed this would work.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol it's like me trying to use an apple laptop or ios. I hate em cause they are different than what I am use to. All I am going to say is the gestures and the keyboard are the best part of webos.. And seriously how can you not like how webos closes applications. LOL. I feel like your just stuck on apple. Close your eyes and pretend there is an apple on the back of the phone... You will prob start saying how amazing it is. Ios sucks compare to webos by the way. And I don't care how many apps it has.
    I think the point is being missed. When a virtual keyboard is a $5 app and has mixed reviews of functionality - that is a *** Seriously? moment.

What is the killer app for WebOS?

For iPhone, in my opinion it is iBlacklist. It is a firewall for phone calls. Send them to vm, give them a busy signal, etc. White List your contacts, Black List others. it is simply awesome. Heck, I even have a virtual Tivo remote app. I have data firewall that allows me to control what/where the iPhone connects to. Good for blocking analytics and nonsense. There apps and there are OS extensions.

As for figuring out how to close an app by flicking an app, yea - that is cool. But it wasn't intuitive. i had to read the manual. That was my point.

As for pretending it's an Apple, my Iphone actually boots up with a pineapple logo. I see the iphone as a linux based small PC.

Some people were very fond of OS/2 too. Whether it was better than DOS was not the point. IBM never caught up to Win95 and NT on any release of OS/2. It came down to driver support and critical mass of enough people who cared and enough developers who thought it was worth the effort. Betamax was superior to VHS. Sometimes, better isn't better if it cannot live up to potential.

I haven't figured out the innards of WebOS, so that is part of the problem. But, it seems I had been told to live with product as is and accept it. Learn to live with it. It doesn't help WebOS to put down Apple, does it? Apple isn't perfect. Nothing is.
    there is a free virtual keyboard in preware. U need to do some reading in the forums before jumping to all these conclusions.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/17/2011 at 08:27 PM.
    get a touchstone and car adapter for the perfect car kit and charging solution. Vzw online has been blowing them out cor cheap.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/19/2011 at 06:57 PM.
    it took me all of 15 minutes to learn the webOS gestures. i am guessing pressing a button is more your speed, but the gestures are really quite intuitive. i suggest you learn them or check out a quick tutorial online. they're really not that hard.

as far as closing apps, swiping up from the gesture area minimizes the app for multitasking purposes (card view). swiping the app upward again, from card view, 'tosses' it off-screen, closing the app. this is a very simple concept and im not sure how you see this as counter-intuitive. the fact that you mentioned needing a manual to learn how to close an app on webOS leads me to believe you've never actually seen the OS in action.
  19.    #39  
    there is a free virtual keyboard in prewaee. U need to do skme reading before jumping to all these conclusions.
    It would be great if it were in the app store. It's not jumping to a conclusion if its an easter egg I did not find. It's an expectation and astonishment that what is there cost $5 with mixed reviews.
    Last edited by akon; 06/17/2011 at 08:39 PM.
  20.    #40  
    the usb port is for charging, bluetooth is for communicating.
    If I plug it in, I can do 'charge' or use a data/disk. MFT doesn't recognize the drive the way it does on a PC. It says it is unsupported. MFT recognizes any other USB drives or sticks. Wouldn't you expect to be able to charge and play music, especially since it says it can be a disk. Format is FAT32? Right?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast