1.    #1  
    I apologize if this has been covered already, but I just bought a Verizon Pre 2 direct from HP (with the help of a dev coupon) for my planned Sprint Pre 2 conversion. The pre2 is in dev mode (skipped activation) so I can test it out before making the big plunge, and noticed 2 issues that make me leery of proceeding:

1) battery life is magnitudes worse than my pre-. I was at 100% yesterday at 8AM and by 3PM, it was at 6%. The phone was sitting on the shelf the entire time and not used at all. I think I may have found one cause - looks like the phone was trying to roam (triangle symbol by signal strength icon) so I set it to verizon only this morn and will check battery drain later.

2) GPS - does not work at all. The interactive tests, google maps, and ##GPS# cannot get a fix. Is this a result of dev mode or the phone not being activated? Does this matter since I will be swapping over my Sprint comm and back bezel?

The phone appears to be new - clean screen, black palm sticker over the upper right screw - and not a refurb. I'm starting to wonder if it could have been a demo of some sort and maybe the battery is end of life... anyone know if it's possible to find out when the phone was first put into service?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I apologize if this has been covered already, but I just bought a Verizon Pre 2 direct from HP (with the help of a dev coupon) for my planned Sprint Pre 2 conversion. The pre2 is in dev mode (skipped activation) so I can test it out before making the big plunge, and noticed 2 issues that make me leery of proceeding:

1) battery life is magnitudes worse than my pre-. I was at 100% yesterday at 8AM and by 3PM, it was at 6%. The phone was sitting on the shelf the entire time and not used at all. I think I may have found one cause - looks like the phone was trying to roam (triangle symbol by signal strength icon) so I set it to verizon only this morn and will check battery drain later.

2) GPS - does not work at all. The interactive tests, google maps, and ##GPS# cannot get a fix. Is this a result of dev mode or the phone not being activated? Does this matter since I will be swapping over my Sprint comm and back bezel?

The phone appears to be new - clean screen, black palm sticker over the upper right screw - and not a refurb. I'm starting to wonder if it could have been a demo of some sort and maybe the battery is end of life... anyone know if it's possible to find out when the phone was first put into service?

Thanks,
    Jim
    You could put Dr. Battery on it and test the battery.

You could use Battery Monitor to determine your drain.

I had a weird situation the other day where I had plugged into my Verizon car charger and the battery was draining faster than the charger could supply. (This is the USB charger from VZW that puts about 1/2 the power of the Palm charger) what I think had happened was that the GPS was active from having run VZ Navigator and I think I was in a very bad cell reception area. My drain greatly exceeded my input current. After a reboot and an airplane mode toggle on/off I finally got it back to working as expected.
    Sorry I can't answer your questions but if you calibrate the battery with dr.battery you can find out how good it is.
  4.    #4  
    Update: after 2 hours sitting on my desk the charge only dropped by about 10%. I think the fact that it was roaming caused the serious battery drain. Also, the GPS seems to be working now... I turned on both locate me by GPS and google services (vs. just GPS) which seemed to do the trick.

I'm still going to get Dr. Battery once I get preware installed to calibrate/check the battery health. I have it on my pre- and I love it :-) After that.. let the surgery begin!! (insert diabolical laugh here)
    It'll be interesting to see how your experience is after you complete the conversion. Because I've found that my FrankenPre2 is somewhat thriftier with battery than my Pre- and Pre+ were. I simply no longer struggle to get through an entire day away from a charger now.

I suspect that the issue is somehow related to the fact that the non-franken'd pre2 is not active on any carrier. I have no idea what the radio does in that situation. Perhaps it goes nuts trying to reestablish connection w/the carrier to determine if it's been activated yet.

That would be something I'd want to find out *before* killing the palm sticker over the upper right hand screw - voiding the warranty. I don't really have any suggestions as to how you do that, though.
    Twitter: dullgeek