Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Mate of a mate works for HP. Hearing two things:

    1) All HP employees who are provided with a company mobile (think they use O2 in the UK) and use it to access their company email have been told to order Pre 2s from the internal system. From July 31st anyone not using a WebOS device to access their company email will have their mobile email access suspended. Many people have been using their own phones (Android, iPhone etc) because prior to this rule the standard HP phone was a Samsung Windows Mobile 6.5 which was awful. They now had to order Pre 2s. There have been so many orders going into the supplier that HP use to provide phones internally that they are on backorder. Currently looking at two weeks before the next lot arrive.

    2) HP employees have been offered the Pre 2 through the employee purchase scheme for 99.

    My guess is that HP have a massive warehouse full of Pre 2s that they know they'll never sell to the public because the Pre 3 is coming out so they're dumping them on the HP workforce as quickly as they can.

    I got hold of a Pre 2 months ago but passed it on because the calendar was awful. Went back to my aging Blackberry.
  2. #2  
    That's a nice theory and plausible. Kinda makes me laugh. I tried finding out how many employees HP has and it took longer than I thought, this is what I found:
    HP Investor Relations - FAQ about HP’s acquisition of EDS
    9. How many employees does EDS have? HP Services? HP?
    EDS had approximately 140,000 employees as of 12/31/2007. HP had approximately 172,000 total employees as of 10/31/2007, including more than 70,000 services employees.
    140K @EDS + 172K@HP =312K total......They force feed those phones, on their own employees.....which I wouldn't mind taking a bite at HP subsidized pricing (Hey HP make it right! )

    Not sure if that's a full warehouse or not, (I've seen some pretty big ones), but that's still a lot phones.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3. #3  
    we've got a thread here by an hp sales guy who told us this much already. He seems to like the phone too.
  4. P_Yiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #4  
    Strange thing is apparently they're waiting on stock. Am waiting to get one from a friend in HP.
  5. #5  
    Not to recall one of the less fine moments of Apotheker's time at HP, but I do remember him telling employees in India back in Feb to throw away their other devices (see excerpt below from PreCentral front page). This could have been his plan all along once the hardware was ready. He wants to be like Apple and can you see Apple tolerating a bunch of android/blackberry devices being used by its employees on campus? I'm a customer and they look at me strangely when I buy a regular external hard drive rather than a time capsule.


    During his interaction with Bangalore employees Apotheker asked, Those who think Apple is cool, raise your hands. With a majority of the 4,500 employees raising their hands, Apotheker replied, Get ready to get rid of your iPhones and iPads. He then added that there would be real, near-term introductions, as the hardware is ready.

    HP CEO Apotheker: "the [new webOS] hardware is ready" | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
  6. #6  
    Makes total sense.

    1. Increases user numbers for devs to target.
    2. Provides plenty of in-house feedback.
    3. Avoids annoying articles about how company produces a phone while employees use competitors product.
    4. Save money buy getting product at cost instead of enriching the competition.
    5. More people will be seen having a Pre and more people to spread word of mouth and serve as examples to friends and families. Many people simply don't even know webos yet.

    Before HP seriously entered the phone business by buying Palm it didn't matter much what phone their people

    What surprises me is that they didn't have the units ready. When they force new devices on their own employees they would know exactly how many they need.
    Unless the numbers of voluntary buyers within the company is much greater than expected.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  7. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #7  
    Having it on backorder and having a warehouse full doesn't make sense.
  8. tommce's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #8  
    They might have underestimated the number because maybe a lot are being sold on:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-2s-ebay.html

    I just picked up a UK unlocked Pre 2 on eBay for 170.00 and there are loads available
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

    Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Having it on backorder and having a warehouse full doesn't make sense.
    exactly what I was thinking
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Having it on backorder and having a warehouse full doesn't make sense.
    My understanding is that HP don't ship them to their employees directly. they use an interim distributor who has ordered them from HP and then sends them on to HP (odd isn't it). This diktat that HP employees HAVE to use the Pre 2 has caused this big bump in orders and the shortage of Pre 2s at the distributor.

    So a shortage doesn't necessarily mean they haven't got loads of them, just their logistics are screwed up.

    My point was that because the Pre 3 is coming soon they are dumping their Pre 2s as quickly as possible on a captive audience.
  11. #11  
    Honest? I don't give a sh.t why hp did that. I got a Pre for free and love it. Will not trade against a iphone. If hp would give me a touchpad, I'll give away may ipad with no heartbeat...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasselmeyer View Post
    prior to this rule the standard HP phone was a Samsung Windows Mobile 6.5
    Looks like HP has a standard phone so I don't see what the problem is in changing that phone to a Pre2, makes perfect sense. Doesn't sound like "dumping", rather it is "upgrading" the company phone and in a timely fashion so HP employees will be ambassadors to the TouchPad which is coming out prior to a Pre3.

    If your point is that HP should support other phones as company phones, doesn't make sense for them to support the competition. Especially if they want enterprises to adopt their phone as the company choice, HP should lead as an example. Since it is being offered at a discounted price, seems OK to me. (I wish I could get a Pre2 at that price.)

    Personally I am thankful for this move as it preserves the life of the Pre2 for all of us. The Pre2's only mistake is that it was the last of the Palm product roadmap and thus got lost in the Pre3 coming cycle. The nice thing about the Pre2 is that its size is smaller than the Pre3.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasselmeyer View Post
    My point was that because the Pre 3 is coming soon they are dumping their Pre 2s as quickly as possible on a captive audience.
    I realised that this makes it sound like a bad thing. It's not. Sorry.

    With 250K+ employees this is probably the best way of getting WebOS out in front of Enterprise users and consumers.
  14. #14  
    Since HP have to buy their employees anyway a smartphone it is a good choice. So they can also develop own software for their needs.

    What I would like is to see thousands of touchstones in HP office buildings.
    In conference rooms, offices, desks. (restrooms would be to much .. perhaps^^)
    Nobody would care about the battery life. Even in company cars they can install touchstones. I would really like to see that!
  15. #15  
    This is a simple, smart move. Nothing bothers me more than employees of "A" Product Maker knowing nothing about "product A" because they're all carrying products B, C, or D.

    Some will undoubtedly swap their SIMs into an Android or iPhone the minute they get home, but I'd wager a fair amount of employees will be impressed by webOS after this forced migration.

    Bravo, HP.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    That's a nice theory and plausible. Kinda makes me laugh. I tried finding out how many employees HP has and it took longer than I thought, this is what I found:
    HP Investor Relations - FAQ about HP€™s acquisition of EDS
    9. How many employees does EDS have? HP Services? HP?
    EDS had approximately 140,000 employees as of 12/31/2007. HP had approximately 172,000 total employees as of 10/31/2007, including more than 70,000 services employees.
    140K @EDS + 172K@HP =312K total......They force feed those phones, on their own employees.....which I wouldn't mind taking a bite at HP subsidized pricing (Hey HP make it right! )

    Not sure if that's a full warehouse or not, (I've seen some pretty big ones), but that's still a lot phones.
    It's not near that many. The Pre2 is being issued to everyone on the corporate issued phone program only - basically field employees (sales, presales, services, etc.). Still a very large % of the 320,000 employees HP has. If you have a "desk" job, no phone issued to you.

    Word is the sales teams will receive the touchpad too. To bad touch-to-share is not supported between TP and Pre2. Anything else not supported??
  17. #17  
    Ever offer a Pepsi truck driver a Coke?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Ever offer a Pepsi truck driver a Coke?
    No, but I've offered Pepsi to Coke people and others, since we have family in the Pepsi biz
    I see pandas.
  19. #19  
    HP Employees (about 300,000 in total) are being offered Touchpad's at a 20% discount as part of the employee purchase programs - part of HP's thrust to make HP employees 'product ambassadors'. Employees will be able to order Touchpads as part of this plan middle of July (I assume after what HP hopes is a run on Touchpads in the retail channel during initial launch).

    Also as previously reported employees on HP corporate phone plans are being required to switch to Pre 2's....Eating your own dogfood..

    Since I'm a WebOS fan I'm happy.
  20. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #20  
    Some of the most successful businesses in the world use the premise that employees are great customers. Think early Ford and Walmart. It's partly eating your own dogfood, a great way to improve the product by feeling all the pain your customers feel. It's also a great way to instill pride and workmanship into what you create. Who knows, that next product rolling out might be yours, your wife's, your best friend's. Design it wrong, build it wrong, and it's not some random person feeling the pain, but instead impacting you directly.

    Plus how stupid is it to have a salesman show up to an enterprise trying to sell HP products while brandishing a competitor's hardware.

    Salesman:"I'd like to sell you our new HP Pre3"
    Customer:"Is that a new BlackBerry Bold 9900 in your holster? That's sweet! I've been wanting one of those since they were announced."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions