1.    #1  
    Ok, so I'm planning on purchasing the Touchpad and I currently have a Pre 2 (Sprint FrankenPre2). I very much want to be able to have SMS messages and phone calls forwarded to the Touchpad from the Pre2 (which will be possible with a software update to the Pre2).

Here's where my question comes in; is there any issues applying an OTA update to a FrankenPre2 on Sprint, or will the update need to be applied with a new metadoctor? The Pre2 was originally an unlocked GSM version.

Thanks,
    Skippy
    Sprint never sold the Pre 2 (or Plus for that matter) and Sprint does not support the Pre 2. There will never be an OTA update for that device on Sprint.

Metadoctor will be the only way to update, if that's even possible.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Sprint never sold the Pre 2 (or Plus for that matter) and Sprint does not support the Pre 2. There will never be an OTA update for that device on Sprint.

Metadoctor will be the only way to update, if that's even possible.
    What you say makes sense, and that's what I would have thought too. However, about a week after I received my Sprint FrankenPre2, I did receive an OTA update. It was a small update which just indicated it was 2.1.0. I applied it and everything worked as it did before.

Others with Srint FrankenPre2s also recieved this update, so apperently OTA can be pushed to a Pre2 on Sprint.

So, there's the possibility of an OTA update being available to us Sprint FrankenPre2 owners, and I just wonder if it's safe to apply it if it is recieved?

-Skippy
    I think that has something to do with the Metadoctor bypassing the carrier and model checks. That update is from Palm not Sprint.
    OTA update is OTA update.

A week ago, I would've told you don't worry about it, the Pre 2 will continue getting OTA updates, even if you modified it to run on Sprint. However, given all the bad, bad things HP has been doing this past week, the most important of which related to the Sprint Pre 2 was cutting off access to any new/updated 2.0 and up apps to any metadoctored device (including the Sprint Pre 2), I would say don't count on any OTA updates.