Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Forums is ok for forums that support it (unfortunately, the ones I'm interested in don't), but it really shouldn't be necessary to buy a special app - the browser should be able to handle it. And I am selling the iPhone now (it's on eBay at the moment), which is why finding a replacement I'm happy with that can do what I need it to is important.

As for webOS 3.x coming to phones, everyone says this but I've yet to see it written anywhere other than in forums. The Veer and Pre 3 are getting 2.2, and 3.0 is for the Touchpad. I haven't found a single article that says webOS 3.x will be appearing on a phone with a timescale and with content of what will be in the update. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it will, but without knowing when and what it will bring it's not really much of an incentive to stick with a system. I know what's coming in iOS5, in the next release of Android, and in the WP7 Mango update, and roughly when they'll come in. For webOS that roadmap seems to be missing and HP seem happy to be vague about their launch dates. "Summer" could be any time from the beginning of last month to the end of September!
    Pronk did you try universe web browser? So much better than the buy in browser!
    Pronk, thanks for the honest try at the Pre2.

Personally, I like the slider keyboard. But as you stated, its a personal choice.

My Pre2 will last all day on a single battery charge and even though it bugged me at first, it doesn't bother me as much any more. I got it down to where I throw my phone on the touchstone when I get home and on the days I work overtime I still got enough juice to last till I go to bed. Other than going on a trip I can't think of a reason the battery needs to last any longer.

I hope you stick with WebOS.

ET
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Well, my mind has kind of been made up for me - I've been offered a free phone by a friend who handles mobile contracts for his small company and has a few unwanted upgrades lying about that he can't sell but can't use either. So I'm going to give Windows 7 phone a try instead.

I'm really, genuinely gutted it didn't quite work out with the Pre as webOS really is great. It's just not quite there apps-wise for what I need from a phone, and with a limited range of models that are all physically quite similar, it's a bit all or nothing.

I'm not jumping ship entirely though. I also use another mobile purely for work. At the moment, that's an ancient SonyEricsson dumbphone. I'm thinking I might pick up a cheap Pixi and use that so my app investment doesn't go to waste and I can keep my hand in with the webOS community.

In the meantime, anyone want a 2-week-old Pre 2?
    I have been thinking of taking the plunge for the right price. What would you sell it for?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    I have been thinking of taking the plunge for the right price. What would you sell it for?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well I'm in the UK, so I suspect that'll put an end to this deal
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Agree on mode switcher. You can have it automatically switch, or do it manually. I have a mode (manual) that turns off all radios except for voice, which also includes SMS. In that setting (when not on the phone) the battery life is very good. I think I've gone most of an hour on 0% once.

Along those lines, I have a custom mode that, when I connect to wifi, automatically turns off the phone data radio. Even though the EVDO icon goes away, the radio stays on and drains power. If you spend any time on wifi then you may want to look into that as well.
    Actually I just purchased my first WebOS device (Pre 2) and am going through almost all of the threads to learn things. So, I saw your comment that you have a "Custom mode" to turn off the phone data radio when connected to Wi-Fi. Can you please tell me how to do that. Although I have noticed that when I manually connect to Wi-Fi, phone data signals vanish but I'm not sure whether they really get turned off or they simply vanish from there but remain connected. Secondly, isn't there a way that whenever phone detects a Wi-Fi network, it automatically connect to Wi-Fi and turn 3G off and when out of reach of Wi-fi, connect to 3G automatically? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elementunkn View Post
    I'm also going from an iPhone 4 to a Pre 2 and I'll post my experiences next week, as it is only arriving tomorrow. I don't really think jailbreaking and applying tweaks on an iPhone is all that complex though. It might not be the Konami code, but it's still pretty easy these days. Also, for the audio player, you should check out Audiophile Music Player and see if it suits your needs.
    Really looking forward for your review. Because I, myself, switched from Android (htc desire) to Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadchaudhry View Post
    Actually I just purchased my first WebOS device (Pre 2) and am going through almost all of the threads to learn things. So, I saw your comment that you have a "Custom mode" to turn off the phone data radio when connected to Wi-Fi. Can you please tell me how to do that. Although I have noticed that when I manually connect to Wi-Fi, phone data signals vanish but I'm not sure whether they really get turned off or they simply vanish from there but remain connected. Secondly, isn't there a way that whenever phone detects a Wi-Fi network, it automatically connect to Wi-Fi and turn 3G off and when out of reach of Wi-fi, connect to 3G automatically? Thanks
    From what I understand, this is the phone's behavior by default. Even though the 3G icon goes away, the 3G modem is still active even when you're on WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    Well I'm in the UK, so I suspect that'll put an end to this deal
    Oh, well yes, nevermind.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    I think I may have to put it back on eBay, but at a slightly lower price. As long as someone doesn't mind their phone being 2 weeks old, they'll get a bargain!

Along those lines, how easy is it to completely wipe a Pre? Is it just a case of doing a reset, or is there something else I should do as well to make sure it's completely cleared?
    You can perform a full secure reset from device info app.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12