Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hi,

I had a Palm Pre 2 for the last 2 months.

Two days ago, suddenly the screen started to get VERY HOT and the battery started to go down 1% every minute.

I thought it was a software problem. But after a few restarts I connected via ssh and saw that the CPU usage was less than 2%.

I took away all the patches. No luck.
    I did a full erase. No luck.

I tried to doctor it and it fails half way trough. And it keeps failing.

You can find the logs at http://www.jdevora.com/webdoctor.log
    And the error logs at http://www.jdevora.com/webdoctorErrors.log

Can someone confirm that it is a hardware failure?

All the best.
    JD Evora
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevora View Post
    Hi,

I had a Palm Pre 2 for the last 2 months.

Two days ago, suddenly the screen started to get VERY HOT and the battery started to go down 1% every minute.

I thought it was a software problem. But after a few restarts I connected via ssh and saw that the CPU usage was less than 2%.

I took away all the patches. No luck.
    I did a full erase. No luck.

I tried to doctor it and it fails half way trough. And it keeps failing.

You can find the logs at http://www.jdevora.com/webdoctor.log
    And the error logs at http://www.jdevora.com/webdoctorErrors.log

Can someone confirm that it is a hardware failure?

All the best.
    JD Evora
    Is it possible to get it exchanged? I thought pre-2 was a solid hardware. sad people are having problesm with it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    WebOS Doctor begins
    At 3%, a ramdisk is transferred to the phone, and the phone is rebooted
    At 4%, the screen changes to the palm logo
    At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit
    Novaterm access is available from 12% onwards
    The progress bar advances by 2% increments every 20 seconds or so
    If it gets stuck at 52% for more than 30 seconds, it's not going to progress further and you will need to try again.
    Around 54% the filesystems are being partitioned
    Around 64% the modem firmware is being reflashed
    Around 72% the carrier apps are being installed
    Around 82% the ROM is being verified

If the process fails at 84% or later, the flash and modem have actually been written, so if you reboot you will get what you were flashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    WebOS Doctor begins
    At 3%, a ramdisk is transferred to the phone, and the phone is rebooted
    At 4%, the screen changes to the palm logo
    At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit
    Novaterm access is available from 12% onwards
    I wish someone could tell me what a consistent failure at 12% means I might have a chance of getting my GSM Pre2 working again if I could figure out how to get it past that mark...
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I even did the steps for recover from a corrupted "USB drive" no luck.

:-(
    yeah i had an issue where i could never get my pre into recovery mode either. i could get the dr. to start but it would eventually just boot up, and in my case go into a you must update screen before i could activate the phone. got on the phone with palm support and they said it is infact a hardware issue and needed to be exchanged. sprint repair center got me a new one in a day or so.
    I had same issue with a Pre 2. Turned out it was caused by the Novacom drivers. Try uninstalling everything Palm on your PC, reboot and then reinstall Novacom drivers.

Let me know if that helps.
    In the Preware installer or the WOS QuickInstall app there are menu choices to force a novacom driver restart on your PC.

Jason's universal novacom intaller app also has the same effect when it re-installs the drivers.

Three questions for the OP:

1. Do you have the webOS SDK installed on your PC?
    2. Are you starting from "recovery mode" when you do this?
    3. Do you have a GSM device or CDMA? and is it unlocked if it is GSM?

I've had a few instances when I got stuck during a doctor. In every case I used the universal novacom installer and then doctored from recovery mode.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    In the Preware installer or the WOS QuickInstall app there are menu choices to force a novacom driver restart on your PC.

Jason's universal novacom intaller app also has the same effect when it re-installs the drivers.

Three questions for the OP:

1. Do you have the webOS SDK installed on your PC?
    2. Are you starting from "recovery mode" when you do this?
    3. Do you have a GSM device or CDMA? and is it unlocked if it is GSM?

I've had a few instances when I got stuck during a doctor. In every case I used the universal novacom installer and then doctored from recovery mode.
    1.- Yes, I have the SDK installed.
    2.- I tried both ways, started from power of and from the recovery mode.
    3.- It is an unlocked GSM device (a developer phone). I suppose that I could try to exchange, but I was sent from the US to the Canaries in Spain, I will take weeks!!!

I'm using Linux, but I'll try the U.novacom Installed on a "fresh" computer.

Thanks
    JD Evora
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    No luck.

I tried in 2 different machines and the same result. "sorry we were unable to restore your phone"

Cheers
    JD