1.    #1  
    Anyone with me here? I kinda like the Pre2 hardware but webOS 2.1 is *really* buggy and seems a step backwards from 1.4.5 in many ways.

I'm a UK launch day Pre user so I recall how crappy it was before 1.4.5 and I've stuck with it. Got my Pre2 about a month ago. First impressions were pretty "meh" - I think they've almost ruined the look of the OS but I enjoyed the speed increase. A month on, and I like the hardware (it is so quick compared with the Pre) but WebOS 2.1 is a really buggy POS compared to 1.4.5. I know they basically re-wrote the whole OS but 1.4.5 was really solid - hardly any bugs that I would encounter, and now 2.1 I am finding a new bug every day. Some of the ones that annoy me most:

1) It will just randomly stop receiving calls - needs a reset to kick it back into action.
    2) The Voice Dial icon moves itself back to the left most launcher tab, no matter where you move it to.
    3) SMS message threads get mixed up with one another.
    4) Pressing backspace after an auto-capitalised letter no longer un-capitalises it, it just deletes the letter!
    5) If you tap a number with spaces in it in a Memo, it seems to URL-encode the number so it is just gobblede**** when it hits the phone app (same if you tap-hold and then choose "text")
    6) Some weird **** going on with how the contacts are ordered (I use google contacts) - some are ordered by first name, some by last.

There are loads more but I keep forgetting them, only to be annoyed by them when I encounter them again.

To be honest, apart from the big speed increase and some minor improvements to the universal search (or "Just Type" if you like) I really did prefer 1.4.5 because I knew I could depend on it.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Hey man, I'm still on 2.0.1 on my VZW Pre2 and I've run in to two bugs so far :

1. Sometimes the camera will not be able to save a photo and bork the camera and photos apps. I have to do a full restart (Luna restart doesn't cut it) to get it to work again.

2. This is a WEIRD one and I've never heard anyone mention it : sometimes when I'm typing something (SMS, tweet, facebook update, email, etc) and I use the auto-correct feature to correct something (the tap and choose from list replacement), when I actually SEND whatever I'm typing, it sends the un-corrected version of the word. For example :

Say I'm typing a tweet in Bad Kitty or Carbon, I type : "I ave to go to work". The auto correct highlights "ave", I tap it and select "have" from the list. When I press the tweet button, it posts "I ave to go to work" instead of the corrected "I have to go to work".

The workaround for this that I've been doing is if I have to use an autocorrect I will cut the entire block of text, back out and create a new post and paste it back in. That seems to work every time.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing for me. But in all fairness, I DID set up my emails as IMAP accounts to get around the POP email black box bug and I use the Palm profile calendar instead of Google to get past those quirks as well...

EDIT : Oh yeah and as for the hardware, I LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE the form factor, the rubbery side grips and the flat glass screen. I just love the thing completely.. such a great device from a hardware aspect. HUGE upgrade from my old Pre minus.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah i just hope the upgrade to 3.0 things get smoothed over. i dont know what happened after 1.45 but 2. whatever although runs smoother has many more quirks and bugs. its like they took a step backwards =\
    could be due to all of the changes that happened during that time. i hope they really knock 3.0 out of the park!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  4.    #4  
    Interesting. I never got to use 2.0.1 as I upgraded immediately. I wonder do any of the bugs I highlighted above exist in 2.0.1 or are they a regression between 2.0.x and 2.1.x?

I've not experienced either of the bugs above but I'll look out for them. It just seems a shame because Palm really nailed 1.4.5 IMO and you'd think with the dollars of HP behind them the software should be improving no deteriorating!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I'll be honest, I'm on 2.1 and I've not experience ANY of the bugs mentioned in the OP. Weird....
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I agree with the premise of the post, as the Pre2 hardware is quite solid but 2.x clearly has lots of minor but definite bugs.

However, I also haven't experienced any of the ones mentioned in the OP. Lots of others (see the big 2.x bug list thread), but not those
    It is sad, makes me wonder if 3.0 will come with a lot of bugs too.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Haven't seen these bugs but one I've noticed is that the typing/clicking in apps freezes and if I go to lock screen and come back it unfreezes. Anyone else see this?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It is sad, makes me wonder if 3.0 will come with a lot of bugs too.
    I think 2.0 was pushed out and then left to wither as HP seems way more focused on 3.0, Enyo, and the TouchPad. That doesn't mean it will or won't be buggy, but I don't think the quality of or support for 2.0 tells us much about 3.0.
    UK Pre 2 here and haven't seen any of the bugs the OP describes. The backspace behaviour definitely isn't the same on mine (tested it while typing this!), haven't experienced any of the oddities although I kill Voice Die-All on mine so can't determine whether that one happens or not. Maybe a redoctor is in order? I did my 2.1 upgrade "naturally" rather than as a brute force doctor so maybe your original doctor was corrupt?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    UK Pre 2 here and haven't seen any of the bugs the OP describes. The backspace behaviour definitely isn't the same on mine (tested it while typing this!), haven't experienced any of the oddities although I kill Voice Die-All on mine so can't determine whether that one happens or not. Maybe a redoctor is in order? I did my 2.1 upgrade "naturally" rather than as a brute force doctor so maybe your original doctor was corrupt?
    Hmm really, none of them? If you don't mind, pls try typing a memo with the following text:

Code:
    John Smith - 07984 765 345
    Then close the memo and re-open it. This is important as the bit that is underlined changes when you close and reopen it. Then tap-hold the blue highlighted number and choose "text" from the dropdown. When I do that I see a load of nonsense in the "To" field in the messaging app.

I never doctored the phone, I just did a straight OTA update. Maybe I'll try a re-doctor.
    @OP:

The only one of those bugs I've experienced is with Voice Dial. Voice Dial itself is pretty buggy for me anyway, but for me, it's the one blemish on webOS 2.1. There are not bugs otherwise for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I think 2.0 was pushed out and then left to wither as HP seems way more focused on 3.0, Enyo, and the TouchPad. That doesn't mean it will or won't be buggy, but I don't think the quality of or support for 2.0 tells us much about 3.0.
    Complete agreement here. WebOS 2.X should be considered as transitional. It will only will exist until 3.X is ready for all devices. I believe HP is completely focused on shipping the Touchpad and the best possible WebOS 3.0 user experience this month.

I for one will participate in the WebOS rebirth/transformation by purchasing a Touchpad on release day.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    I'm having massive problems. Google Calendar and Contact sync doesn't work from Pre to Google, data connection keeps going to sleep and not waking up, GPS works intermittently...and this is on my SECOND Pre 2. The first one, at least, didn't have the Google sync problems. Not good.

I've spent hours over days on the phone with Palm/HP tech support. They have been very accessible and concerned....but today admitted they have no resolution.

Hip hip hooray!

This officially sucks.

The hardware on my old Pre was literally falling apart daily, but the basic functionality worked. Heck, my Treo 755p worked. This device does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Hmm. Yes, I can confirm this one - is literally the first time I've used the Memo app though. I actually think I know what this is - I suspect there's a badly thought out regex in the Memo app based on the fact that some countries use hyphens as seperators in phone numbers, others spaces. So when it reloads the memo it sees both the hyphen and the subsequent space prior to the first numeric character as part of the phone number itself. Reckon that might be a target for me to have my first hack around and patch on WebOS :-) Have been meaning to get into WebOS development (was quite well known in Android circles 18 months or so ago) so this'd be a nice simple start.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    The inability to sync my google calendar on 2.0.1 is a major bug in my book since this is, supposedly, teh ehart of WebOS. Reallly ****ed about it and can't get an answer or a fix and really miss my Pre + with 1.4.5 now.
    Yes, same here, Google Calendar syncing is totally borked! Thanks Palm/HP for this utter FAIL in your key area! I'm really p****d ...

Quote Originally Posted by Merc14 View Post
    The inability to sync my google calendar on 2.0.1 is a major bug in my book since this is, supposedly, teh ehart of WebOS. Reallly ****ed about it and can't get an answer or a fix and really miss my Pre + with 1.4.5 now.
    Pre+EU.GSM.webOS.2.1