Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I work for HP and recently we had policy change so that field personnel are upgraded to Pre 2. Historically I have had all kinds of phone, BB, Windows, Compaq... BB was probably my favorite from a getting stuff done standpoint.

I gotta say I really like the the Pre2. Very snappy, easy to use for a dumb sales guy and dare I say fun? I do have some gripes though:

- Keyboard a little small for my fat fingers
    - Does anyone else wish the device opened up the keyboard landscape direction and that all apps worked seamlessly either landscape or portrait?
    - Battery life, got to get me one of those desktop charger thingies.

Thanks for all the apps Devs...
    Thanks for the nice words...it's good to hear opinions like yours. You didn't get to choose this phone, yet having to use it, you found it to be a good phone.

When the Pre3 comes out (anything you can tell us about that date since you work for hp?) give it's keyboard a try...see if it feels a little less cramped.

Who knows, maybe HP will be coming out with a landscape slider in the future...I'm guessing a slab phone with virtual keyboard will be next model, but what do I know?

Verizon is having an incredible deal on Touchstone chargers and the cable/wall plug that goes with it. I saw the thread yesterday. These are the older Palm branded touchstones, but they work with all Palm Pre's, Pixis (plus and minus versions, Pre2, and I believe the Veer and the upcoming Pre3...but not the touchpad, special touchstone for that). Go search for that thread, and order you a couple touchstones for just a few stones...you'll be glad you did. be sure to order the touchstone AND the cable/wallplug together...and the deal is so good, get two sets. One for the office, one for home. I've got 3...one guy said he had 12.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

3.    #3  
    The Verizon accessory bundle sounds great but darn if I can find it...

On the Pre 3, I am an in different business unit but if I did know I wouldn't say. That would be grounds for termination. You can imagine that HP is being very methodical about this process. I will tell you this, the energy inside HP about webos is huge. It's not just marketing. The company is putting it's brand on the line here.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I appreciate the candor in that HP is putting it's brand on the line here. As you can see by the posts on this site, we are very loyal to the Pre and WebOS. I think if more people got to try the UI, than more people would be satisfied with their phone, even better that Android and iPhone. If HP pushes the platform through the Business environment as they plan then just like BB it would take off from a Consumer end as well. Most people use their phones for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
    So I work for HP and recently we had policy change so that field personnel are upgraded to Pre 2. Historically I have had all kinds of phone, BB, Windows, Compaq... BB was probably my favorite from a getting stuff done standpoint.

I gotta say I really like the the Pre2. Very snappy, easy to use for a dumb sales guy and dare I say fun? I do have some gripes though:

- Does anyone else wish the device opened up the keyboard landscape direction and that all apps worked seamlessly either landscape or portrait?

This is great to hear. All field personnel now have Pre2's?

As for the keyboard, I find it works best (and really great) using my thumbnails. I've tried using my fingers which is futile. But the grippy gummy surface is perfect for nails.

I don't wish for a landscape keyboard, my fingers would have more distance to have to travel to type and you would no longer be able to one hand type.

If you think battery life is bad you would have LOATHED the Pre Plus. Especially on Verizon. I recommend a spare battery and charger like this one. Makes life so much better.

Just like every smartphone platform, there will be landscape or portrait only apps and others that will rotate. I personally wish that email allowed the option to stay locked in portrait mode.

A couple tips. Did you learn how to:

- select text
    - cut copy and paste
    - undo
    - move the cursor precisely?

I also recommend Preware, if HP doesn't mind you installing it. It will make life so much better. It allows you to make many many useful tweaks to your device that are completely and easily reversible and all done OTA. Let me know if you're interested and I'll tell you all about it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    The Verizon accessory bundle sounds great but darn if I can find it...

On the Pre 3, I am an in different business unit but if I did know I wouldn't say. That would be grounds for termination. You can imagine that HP is being very methodical about this process. I will tell you this, the energy inside HP about webos is huge. It's not just marketing. The company is putting it's brand on the line here.
    Set Your Location
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    I can also see that there is some skepticism about HP's commitment to this space. That is understandable. Palm didn't make it. The release dates haven't been as aggressive as people have hoped. There are reasons to be skeptical. But I can assure you that HP is deadly serious in this space. I can't predict the outcome, nobody can. But it will be a wild ride!

Glad you like you Pre2. I don't have problem with fat fingers typing, but I have heard from enough people that I think it is somewhat of a problem. The solution that I've heard worked well for those with fat finger is to type with the nails instead of the flat of the finger. Hope that helps you.
  9.    #9  
    Pre 2 internal launch: My understanding is all field sales people will carry the webos smartphone devices. Not sure about the TP, sure would like one!

I will have to take that gesture tutorial I guess... Thanks for the link to Verzon, I can see the touchstone for $5, but not the bundle... Doh!
    The gesture tutorial will not actually show you all of the tools you will need to best navigate your phone. So here is a rundown.

- Move cursor precisely: Press and hold the option button (under the letter A) and then slide your finger slowly anywhere on the screen up and down or left and right

- Select text: You must be in a field where you can see your cursor. Hold the shift button and tap on a word. Now while still holding shift tap on another word. You will see that all the words including the words in between the words you have selected are now highlighted.

Also, you may select text similarly to moving your cursor, by holding the shift key and dragging your finger on the screen up and down or left and right after placing your cursor.

On web pages and emails, often you are also able to select whole paragraphs by holding shift and tapping on a word in the paragraph.

- Cut: First have some text selected, then put one thumb on the gesture area and hold it there and hit the letter X.

- Copy: same as above but with the letter C. You will notice a popup confirming selection has been copied

- Paste: same as above but with the letter V

- Undo: same as above but with the letter Z

Take the time to get used to these commands and you will like your phone that much better.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Pre 2 internal launch: My understanding is all field sales people will carry the webos smartphone devices. Not sure about the TP, sure would like one!

I will have to take that gesture tutorial I guess... Thanks for the link to Verzon, I can see the touchstone for $5, but not the bundle... Doh!
    I'm sorry, I kind of unintentionally led you astray...used the wrong term...I meant you have to create your own bundle...you want to be sure and buy a touchstone and a wallplug/cable...those are two separate items, which you will need to have a fully functional touchstone charging system. Verizon isn't offering a bundle, but they are offering each of those items for $4.97. So you will spend $10 for a whole touchstone charging system. That's an awesome deal. The original cost of just the Touchstone 'puck' was about $45 I think. The wallplug/cable charger was about $25 or $35 I think.

Here is a link to the wallplug/cable item:

Palm Wallplug and Cable

and here is a link to the Touchstone:

Palm Touchstone

EDIT: By the way, I'm sorry for asking if you had info you could share...I should have put a winking smilie or otherwise indicated I was kidding. I know you can't divulge such things. I hope you weren't offended. Sometimes I forget the written word doesn't translate my vocal inflections and winks too well.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 06/03/2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

12.    #12  
    wow. Thanks for the tips. Maybe this stuff should be in the tutorial!
  13.    #13  
    no worries.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Hey HPSalesGuy.. glad you like the Pre2

Is your Pre2 a Verizon model? And if so, did it come with the 2.1 version of the OS on it or are you stuck on 2.0.1 like the rest of us Verizon Pre2 folks?
  15.    #15  
    It's 2.1 unlocked. I am on AT&T. Not say'in that's a good thing. Wink.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Dang I was hoping to glean some insight about 2.1 getting pushed out to the VZ Pre2's
  17.    #17  
    Oh, one other thing: I can't get the Facebook app to work. It says Palmcall failure when I try and log in. FB through the web interface works fine though...
    Im with you on the landscape slider and all apps being able to rotate between landscape and portrait...I would love love love that!

Im thinking this will be possible once we get webOS 3.0 on a smartphone and Enyo framework apps....webOS 3.0 and Enyo are being developed for the HP TouchPad now but these updates should trickle down to the smartphone arena as we move forward...
    It's 2.1 unlocked. I am on AT&T. Not say'in that's a good thing. Wink.
    I will. You get faster OS updates, faster GPS signal, simultaneous voice and data, and better battery life.

Here is my recommendation to not have to worry about pattery life on your 2.

B66s 2 Battery + Charger For Palm Pre2 Pre 2 II NEW | eBay

Oh, one other thing: I can't get the Facebook app to work. It says Palmcall failure when I try and log in. FB through the web interface works fine though...
    Try reinstalling the app. Press and hold Option while tapping on the app icon in the launcher menu. It will give you the option to uninstall the app.

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Im with you on the landscape slider and all apps being able to rotate between landscape and portrait...I would love love love that!

Im thinking this will be possible once we get webOS 3.0 on a smartphone and Enyo framework apps....webOS 3.0 and Enyo are being developed for the HP TouchPad now but these updates should trickle down to the smartphone arena as we move forward...
    Don't count on it. Apps are written to be either in portrait or landscape mode and to take advantage of the accelerometer. It will remain on an app to app basis.
    I Love the fact that the keyboard is only portrait. MUCH more logical that way. Much faster than landscape keyboards since your fingers do not need to travel so darn much.

a lot of people have the battery life gripe, but I think its GREAT. My Pre 2 is unplugged at 9 am usually and by 5 pm it is still in the 80 percentile. I usually finish the day with above 40%. I am not a heavy user, but not a light user either.

thanks for the kind words about Pre 2. I think its the best smartphone on the market. :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast