Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    im going to make a frankenpre2 and im trying to find a pre 2 on ebay but they have different ones. They have the pre 2 verizon, the Pre 2 GSM unlocked and the at&t Pre 2. So which one do i get? Does the at&t Pre 2 work with my sprint? And also for the unlocked pre 2 it says GSM, what is that? Is there provider like verizon or att for that one? I just want to make sure i buy the right one nd i need peoples advice.
    Either the Verizon or Unlocked GSM version will work for a frankenPre 2, but the GSM one will work best (I think this is because Verizon never officially made WebOS 2.1 available for the Pre 2). I am not sure about the AT&T one, but as far as I can tell from both HP's and AT&T's websites there is only an unlocked GSM one and a Verizon one (no AT&T specific one). The AT&T one is probably an unlocked GSM phone, but I would just get the unlocked GSM one and not risk it.
    Yea go with the unlocked, i did mine in under a hour with no problems at all, it is awesome
    You can get any of them. However, if you get a verizon Pre2 you can use the back bezel with the sprint comms board. But if you get a GSM/AT&T Pre2, you will have to use the backbezel from your Sprint Pre-. The reason is that the back bezel has the phone's antenna on it. And the antenna differs between Verizon and GSM/AT&T.

• Sprint and Verizon use CDMA which means they use the same antenna design. Hence you can use the same back bezel when you make a sprint frankenpre2 out of a verizon pre2.
    • AT&T uses GSM and requires a different antenna. So if you make a frankenpre2 out of an AT&T/GSM phone, you'll need to swap both the comms board & the backbezel to the Pre2.

Here are some images showing the difference between the Sprint/Verizon antenna and the GSM antenna
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5.    #5  
    thanx for the help. But im still confused. Those pictures didnt tell me much. What is the back bezel? The sticker with the ESN number and stuff?
    If you check the marketplace I just posted one for sale that was turned into a Sprint Pre 2. You can use this as your Pre 2 as long as you still swap the board with the one from your Pre.
  7.    #7  
    well i see one for sale on craigslist that sells a pre 2 unlocked GSM VERSION and that says it is not verizon and that it came straight from HP. So i can use that one as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    well i see one for sale on craigslist that sells a pre 2 unlocked GSM VERSION and that says it is not verizon and that it came straight from HP. So i can use that one as well?
    Yep
  9.    #9  
    ok so if i get the unlocked version besides the com board i have to install the back bezel as well?
    ok so if i get the unlocked version besides the com board i have to install the back bezel as well?
    I'm not sure, as I didn't do the swap. What area do you live in? What price are you getting on Craigslist? The one I have for sale in these forums is perfect for swapping and comes with some extras (sorry for the salesmanship!). I can upload some pics tomorrow, but it looks awesome.
  11.    #11  
    well the phone is 180.00 dollars. I just checked ur listing n too much for my already big bills lol. I appreciate it though. Well i was looking over at the pictures again from internals and yes i get it now, sort of. So i also replace it with the back bezel from my pre minus. But theres a problem. My pre does not have volume keys anymore and that area is already damaged anyway, even if i put anothr volume key on my pre. So the back bezel with the already damaged volume area is gonna go into the pre 2?
  12.    #12  
    by the way, if i just get a verizon and put the comm board in it from my pre, cant i just doctor it to 2.1 anyway?
    well the phone is 180.00 dollars. I just checked ur listing n too much for my already big bills lol. I appreciate it though. Well i was looking over at the pictures again from internals and yes i get it now, sort of. So i also replace it with the back bezel from my pre minus. But theres a problem. My pre does not have volume keys anymore and that area is already damaged anyway, even if i put anothr volume key on my pre. So the back bezel with the already damaged volume area is gonna go into the pre 2?
    Yes and No.

Yes, you will use the volume button area from your old Pre-, but the actual electronic switch will be from the new Pre 2. In other words, the plastic rocker button will be from the Pre-, while the volume control electronics will be from the new Pre 2 (as can be seen in pics 9 and 10 in the wiki). If your old Pre- just has physical damage to the plastic you will still have a broken volume control. If your old Pre- has a working plastic button but the volume button doesn't do anything, then you will be fine after the change.

You can always buy a used/broken Pre- for about $5 on ebay to swap out the broken plastic button, or a used but working fine Pre- for about $20 on ebay and use that for the swap (after activating it of course).
  14.    #14  
    well even if i put a button on my pre- the volume doesnt work anymore. So do i still have a chance putting in the backbezel and keep the volume button from the pre 2? I was thinking that. Maybe i should order a $25 pre from ebay and then order the pre 2 after
    thanx for the help. But im still confused. Those pictures didnt tell me much. What is the back bezel? The sticker with the ESN number and stuff?
    Look at the gold plating on the back of the phone. That's the antenna. One of those antennas is optimized for CDMA. The other is optimized for GSM. You want to make sure you use the piece that has the CDMA antenna in whatever Pre2 you use.
  16.    #16  
    yes i see them. There is gold on top and bottom and some of it is faded already on the top so is it worth it puttin it on a pre 2?
    If you're going to use the Pre2 on CDMA you need the CDMA antenna. You can certainly try to use the GSM antenna, but you're going to get poor signal and battery life as a result.
    yes i see them. There is gold on top and bottom and some of it is faded already on the top so is it worth it puttin it on a pre 2?
    If you mean on your Sprint Pre I think you are OK as long as "faded" doesn't mean torn or cut. The exact length and shape are more important than the color.
  19.    #19  
    i finally get what a backbezel is now and i just used an old broken pre to practice on removing com board and the backbezel. I get the whole gsm n cdma stuff now. So now that im ready to make the unlocked frankenpre2. I see i cant use cwyn anymore. I read through the whole ubuntu installation but the wiki doesnt say when i restart my computer if to chose ubuntu or windows so which one do i chose? Also is windows 7 compatible with the meta doctor? And if im having the frankenpre 2 can i still install the navigation system after the 2.1 doctor? And for the pre 2 i dont need to install flash right?
    Yeah, you can't use metadoc from cygwin any more.
    When you restart your computer, boot into ubunto.
    Windows 7 is capable of running the metadoctor, but not making one.
    There is a way to install sprint nav, but we shall not speak of it here, for it involves illegal distribution of software.
    I didn't have to install flash on my frankenpre2. The scripts took care of that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast