Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    So last night I went to visit my girlfriend at the restaurant where she moonlights on weekends. She usually works pretty late so sometimes I'll go in around 9 and hang out till they close. I'm sitting at a table along the wall having a cappuccino and playing Angry Birds Rio on my Pre2 while my GF finishes up her last tables. There's a guy and his wife/girlfriend sitting at a table immediately to my left, tables are pretty close together. I see him playing around with an Android phone (I think it was a Droid X, was big and had the Verizon logo at the top).

A few minutes go by and I get a text message and I had forgotten to turn the ringer off so the tone was a little loud. I swiped up to minimize the birds, tapped the notification and started replying to the txt. The guy leans over and goes, "Whoa man what homescreen is that?". I blanked for a second and then realized he thought my Pre2 was an Android phone with some kind of custom homescreen app on it.

The webOS zealot in me kicked into demo mode.

I told him it wasn't an Android phone, it was an HP/Palm phone that ran webOS. I showed him how I could swap back and forth between my Angry Birds game and my texts in a split second with just a couple short gestures. Went through Just Type and the quick actions. Showed him how the notifications worked (I thought his mind was blown at this point the way he was reacting). Told him about Preware and how cool it is to be able to modify your phone with patches over-the-air.

Afterwards the guy says, "This phone is available on Verizon? Why didn't I see it when I was at the store? I totally would have bought that instead of the one I have now!". My heart sunk a little. I wonder how many people would have bought a webOS phone if the carriers had really pushed them.

So I told him about the Pre3 coming soon and he said he was going to keep an eye out for it. He remarked that he thought the Pre2 might be a little small for him since he preferred larger screen devices and the Pre3 sounded more up his alley.

That's about it, I thought it was a pretty cool random conversation with a stranger
    great story! I bet a lot of people are in the same boat... They have no idea what they're missin'!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    You're like a webOS apostle, set to spread the word
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Thanks guys the gadget geek in me loves showing off webOS. So rare I find someone that interested I tend to go overboard LOL

On a side note, Forums is a really cool app!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Thanks guys the gadget geek in me loves showing off webOS. So rare I find someone that interested I tend to go overboard LOL

On a side note, Forums is a really cool app!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've kinda slacked off promoting webOS lately because of frustration with development issues. Trying to get excited again.

And yes, Forums rocks! (if you are new on any forums, turn off 'spread the word' or your posts may get caught in the spam filter)
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    You're like a webOS apostle, set to spread the word
    webOpostle? eh? no?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I said it before, and I'l say it again: it's a crying shame that the Pre 2 didn't get to see the light of day. The Pre 2 is pure awesome.

j_benj, Your story reminds me about that time when we went to the that pizzeria after seeing Ruby on the Engadget show. The guy behind the counter started bugging out when he saw me switching between cards on my Pre 2. When I let him play around with the phone his eyes lit up, and the same thing happened with the cashiers at the register.

The biggest challenge with webOS is that it's hard to capture in an ad or commercial. But I always found that once someone experience's it & get's to use it, they almost always have a great impression of it, especially on the Pre 2. I've gotten way more excited reactions and complements over the last 3 months with my Franken Pre 2, than over the 18 months that I had my Pre minus.

It's a crying shame how the Pre 2 is treated, this phone is the Bees Knees.
    Bacd and forth with a few gestures? Does this mean you didn't have advanced gestures turned on? He would have been really impressed then.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Bacd and forth with a few gestures? Does this mean you didn't have advanced gestures turned on? He would have been really impressed then.
    Actually I do have them turned on, but since I have so many apps stacked up it's faster to swipe to desktop, swipe once left or right and tap the app I want as opposed to having to full-swipe 3 or 4 times. Plus it looks super cool seeing the stacks slide over and fan out
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    j_benj, Your story reminds me about that time when we went to the that pizzeria after seeing Ruby on the Engadget show.
    That's right I remember that! I was paying for my pizza and looked back to see you showing off your phone to the guys making the pies LOL I was like "there he goes again!".

it's a crying shame that the Pre 2 didn't get to see the light of day. The Pre 2 is pure awesome.
    As always, I agree. This phone has the potential to be so much more than it is.