Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok. So, I've had a webOS phone since June 6, 09. But I just now figured out the way to get better performance: leave your most common apps running.

For me that means:
    • YouMail, Messaging, & Phone app: card stack #1
    • Email, facebook, Twee2: card stack #2
    • Memos, Tasks, Contacts, Calendar: card stack #3

Yeah, I'm a bit slow, but I got it now. Thank you for your patience.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I actually didn't know this...
    How does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    How does this help?

It makes sense in that loading apps takes more work for the CPU then not loading them. I keep my most-used stuff open all the time because I hate watching apps load...
    The whole point of cards, stacks, multitasking...being able to leave these things open & readily available. +1 to Cantaffordit.

I don't always leave all my cards open, but it is nice to be able to.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I suppose it is true. However wouldn't that spend more battery?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    How does this help?

Try it for a day. When an email notification comes up, tapping it is almost instantaneous because the app is ready running. Same with phone calls. Choosing someone from contacts or answering an incoming is just faster.

Now what I want is some way to launch these same card stacks when I reboot my phone. (Getting greedy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It makes sense in that loading apps takes more work for the CPU then not loading them. I keep my most-used stuff open all the time because I hate watching apps load...
    I have to retrain my thinking on this. Because putting the phone away with an app still open and running is just so counter-intuitive to me. My instinct is to "put away" the things I'm done with so that I have a clean slate when I come back. But that turns out to be rather inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    After a couple of days I haven't noticed any significant difference. Of course, depending on how often you launch apps, it might actually save you battery.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/31/2011 at 06:28 AM.
    I actually like watching apps load now that I have a franken pre.

One improvement that I am going to suggest to palm is a way sticky an app, similar to pinning a tab in a browser
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Ok. So, I've had a webOS phone since June 6, 09. But I just now figured out the way to get better performance: leave your most common apps running.
    Maybe you should call your new discovery - multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Probably not so much of a problem in an event driven environment.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Maybe you should call your new discovery - multitasking.
    That's a good idea! Someone should get on that.
    I guess you can say I 'discovered' this also when I got my Pre 2. Stacks are awesome, but only available for 2.x and I've only been playing around with it for a few months. Now I'm leaving apps open all the time on my Pre 2, and I actually hate rebooting the phone because I lose all my neatly made stacks that I spent precious time setting up. I think for WebOS 3 HP should include an option to 'load X apps at start' or 'load previous cards on reboot'. There's still so many endless bugs in 2.x that reboots are necessary every couple days (sadly). =| But you're right, productivity on the Pre 2 is sky high, I can do many things in split seconds. I try very hard to leave my cards open, and I find myself forgetting a lot of the time that I've left a bunch open, then later only to turn on the phone and find I have 15 cards open, and I'm like, "Wow, WebOS still amazes me day after day." It's a different feeling. Another thing I wish HP would include would be a 'minimize everything' button, mainly because I love staring at my beautiful wallpapers with the glass effect 'just type' bar on top.

Yes, I'm a freak geek.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Hummm... If the Veer 2 and the PrPrPr $IV$ $come$ $with$ $02GB$ $in$ $RAM$ $could$ $make$ $miracles$...

I'll try now... let's gonna see...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Now what I want is some way to launch these same card stacks when I reboot my phone. (Getting greedy.)
    Would Multiple App Launcher help? http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...auncher-7.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... If the Veer 2 and the PrPrPr $IV$ $come$ $with$ $02GB$ $in$ $RAM$ $could$ $make$ $miracles$...
    Yep, for all the rave I've been hearing about 1.5GHz quad core phones, I haven't heard anyone talk about sticking 2GB of RAM on one, which I bet would lead to more noticeable performance improvements than increasing cores.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    And more: I believe that RAM with 02GB maybe cheaper than 1.6 Ghz...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  16.    #16  
    Adding RAM is only likely to speed things up if your current process load spends a lot of time swapping. I'd like to see 1G RAM, but I'm not convinced that webOS 2.x would do much with more than that. I barely (if ever) swap as it is with 512MB of RAM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Nice. Gotta try that.
    Nice. Gotta try that.
    Let me know if you like it. In my app cat (1.4.5) the app specifically says, "This app doesn't stack cards at this moment". However loading the apps is most of the work - rearranging them at that point should be pretty easy right? Alternately reach out to the dev and see if he's working on stacking.
  19.    #19  
    I read his thread. He's got stacking in the plans. I'm currently downloading the app, but have very poor data access at work, so it's taking a whle.
    This thread just blew my mind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast