Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Hey all,

While meeting with a client at his house this afternoon (I do web work), he perked up when I pulled out my Sprint Pre minus. "You have a Palm!", he said. I was like "Heck yeah, I love it!"

Turns out he works for HP. He showed off his new Veer, which was really small and cute. I told him I'm a Palm fan boy, and he said he had a gift for me. He runs to another room and comes back carrying a Pre 2, hands it to me, and says it's mine. Awesome!

I told him about Web OS Internals and about the FrankenPre. I plan on making one, but in the mean time can someone help me start this bad boy up?

When turned on the thing tells me I need a sim card. Can I put any old sim card in there to mess around with using Wifi?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Last edited by cfbauer; 05/29/2011 at 10:03 PM.
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

Read that page

hit the thanks if I helped.
    or you could just type in #*DEVMODE# and boom you should be good to go.
    1. Go to Home Depot and get one of these: Husky 6-Piece Torx Screwdriver Set - 74502 at The Home Depot
    2. Then do the FrankenPre, here: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

This is *super* easy. You should be done by now!
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Actually! What you really should do is send it to me!
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

Read that page

hit the thanks if I helped.
    Thanks a bunch. The activation bypass tool threw an error, so I'm in the process of flashing the device with the suggested webos doctor build.

Turns out it's a GSM unlocked phone. I am so freaking stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    or you could just type in #*DEVMODE# and boom you should be good to go.
    Unfortunately I can't even load the phone App. All I have seen so far is the screen that tells me to enter a SIM card, and there's no way around it.

edit: I mistook what you were saying. Just saw this instruction:
    On a GSM phone, press "#*DEVMODE#", followed by the call button. On a CDMA phone, press "##DEVMODE#". (If the device is GSM, and there is no SIM card, a screen may be displayed instructing you to install one. Just begin typing the "#*" and the phone app will appear.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    1. Go to Home Depot and get one of these: Husky 6-Piece Torx Screwdriver Set - 74502 at The Home Depot
    2. Then do the FrankenPre, here: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

This is *super* easy. You should be done by now!
    Yes, I will certainly be doing this, although I planned on waiting until Tuesday when I can get support if needed. The instructions make it seem somewhat difficult, although I thought the same thing when I built my computer. Turned out to be less intense than expected.
    Last edited by cfbauer; 05/29/2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Awesome, I got everything up and running thanks to Greg. Would have been a lot easier if not for my poor reading comprehension skills, haha.

This phone is fantastic WebOS 2 was decent on my Pre minus, but smooth as butter and a real joy on the Pre 2. Next up, FrankenPre!