Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I’m coming up on 3 months with my FrankenPre 2 and I still feel like I have a new toy. I’m not bored with it or ready to move on to the latest, greatest phone of the week. This phone is pure awesome, it’s a crying shame HP didn’t put any resources into marketing the Pre 2.

3 months after I had my Pre minus, I was frustrated from lag, TMC errors, poor battery life, the list can go on. Any time I wanted to show off webOS, killer lag & TMC errors would always pop up. Compare that to 3 months into rocking my Franken Pre 2 and this thing is the Bees Knees. No lag, no overclocking required, it’s a multi-tasking beast and the battery lasts me the whole day without a problem. I usually average 20% by the end of the day (around 11:00 - midnight).

I use my phone a lot more now than I did with my Pre minus. I play games more, listen to music more, email more, read more on it, download & use more paid apps (supporting more devs FTW). I just want to use this phone like crazy & enjoy webOS the way it was meant to be enjoyed; without worrying about saving battery life or how slow the phone will lag. I get to do that now on my Pre 2.

Also when showing off my phone I get a lot more favorable reactions and compliments on the Pre 2 (relating to both hardware & webOS), than I did on my Pre minus. I think the Pre 2 deserves to shine a lot more than it has, and it definitely should have been on Sprint; a lot of people would have been pleased with this bad boy!

For you guys rocking Pre 2’s what are your thoughts? Do you feel the same way?
    Is the Pre 2 the Bees Knees?

Ahh the Pre 2, the phone that could have been.

Thanks j_benj for the pic
    When I got my email from the Palm GBU I was like a kid at christmas! I was so happy to go back to webOS again and the Pre (which I think is a good form factor)

I love not having to worry about the battery life, Bell's horrible CDMA coverage in my town (made the battery life even worse :/) no more TMC errors and no more oreo!

Also, when the phone vibrates, it actually sounds proper and not like parts are slightly touching each other and vibrating against each other like my Pre - from Bell did.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I agree...I have had my Sprint Franken Pre 2 for almost 3 months after my Franken Pre Plus as well and love it. The speed is great, battery life is strong, and with the patches I can make it truly like I want it. I have no desire to move to anything else (except maybe a Pre 3). I overclocked the Pre Plus to 1 GHZ, yet the completely stock Pre 2 blows it away. I love the feel of the glass screen and whenever I pick up my Pre Plus (with screen protector) I can't believe the night and day difference!

The Pre 2 just feels like a well made phone...I agree it is what the Pre should have been...

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    I don't have a Franken but a Pre 2 on VZW. I love it as well, cept 2.0.1 is bad. Holding my breath for 2.1 (or whatever VZW releases next).
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    thanks for the shout, fah I made that image this morning in hopes of getting some kind of reaction out of HP, Palm or Adora on Twitter.. but nothing LOL

It was seeing SmartFah's FrankenPre that inspired me to eventually move to a Verizon Pre2. I had tried to go the FrankenPre route but wound up screwing it up royally and borking both phones. I stuck it out with my Android phone for a while longer and finally got frustrated. Tried to get a Veer (a story that can be found in another thread) and when that didn't work out, I opted to move to a Verizon Pre2.. and damn I made a good decision. This phone is AWESOME. A fast, slick phone in a form factor that I absolutely love.

If I didn't have to carry an iPhone for work 5+ days a week, I would probably have been waiting for the Pre3. I really needed a smaller personal phone and the Pre2 is the perfect fit. And it is REALLY good to be back on webOS.. Android is really not for me. I put up with it for 7 months and I wanted to throw my Epic off a bridge.
    I keep passing my Pre 2 to my wife who is still on her Pre- from July of 09 to show her how much better it feels and runs. I know she's secretly jealous. This phone is fantastic. I don't feel the need for a Pre 3 but it would be nice.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I don't have a Franken but a Pre 2 on VZW. I love it as well, cept 2.0.1 is bad. Holding my breath for 2.1 (or whatever VZW releases next).
    I'm still on 2.0.1 with my VZW Pre2 and i don't have any issues so far. I've got some patches installed but I'm running the stock kernel. Runnin nice and smooth!
    I love my unlocked Pre2 on AT&T. There is some lag sometimes and a few software weirdnesses just like any other phone from time to time. I had a Pre Plus before and even though battery life is better its not the best but I don't care I have 3 batteries.

I love the glass screen and I love the brighter notification light. I love not having to fiddle with a usb door. I love the fast camera but wish it had autofocus. Keyboard is the best I've used on a webos phone so far.

But I want a Pre3 and I hope it comes to AT&T soon mostly because the one thing I hate the most about the Pre, Pre Plus and Pre2 is the microphone placement that gets covered any time you put the phone on your shoulder. Faster data would be nice but the Veer being Class 4 I would think the Pre3 would be also.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    New VZW Pre2 owner here coming from Android (Droid 1). Saw it in a verizon store out next to the HTC thunderbolt (not very impressive - a little faster than my old phone, but otherwise underwhelmin) and a blackberry. I'd heard about WebOS before but never actually played with any phones. It took me all of 5 minutes of playing with the phone to decide I wanted one - much smoother way of working with apps than android, and I love how well the gestures work.

No major issues with the phone so far (I'm on 2.0.1 but not seen any of the bugs I've seen mentioned here). My only concern right now is it seems that the future of WebOS is with 3.0 and Enyo based apps - I just hope Verizon actually pushes an update once it becomes available.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    My only concern right now is it seems that the future of WebOS is with 3.0 and Enyo based apps - I just hope Verizon actually pushes an update once it becomes available.
    I know this is not definitive proof that VZ will give us the updates but they did just push out 1.4.5.1 for the legacy Pre Plus models on it's network. That does bode well for us VZ Pre2 owners.. even though they take a while to do it, history shows that they will.

I'm still on 2.0.1 here as well and it serves me well. Granted I only have IMAP email accounts set up so I'm avoiding the POP3 "black box of doom" issue. The only thing I'm missing is the ability to download some of these fancy new hybrid apps..
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    This phone is pure awesome... 3 months after I had my Pre minus, I was frustrated from lag, TMC errors, poor battery life, the list can go on.
    Couldn't agree more with these two sentiments. Frankly, after going to the Pre2, I have gone completely stock. On my Pre- and Pre+ I was overclocked and patched to the 9s. But I just don't need to on the Pre2. And then Dieter mentioned that the Pre3's speed made the Pre2 seem like a sprint pixi plus... dood.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    I'm still on 2.0.1 with my VZW Pre2
    You know that you can use the metadoctor to upgrade your VZW Pre2 to 2.1, right? Here are the instructions: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Agree 100% with OP, and it's a crying shame that the Pre 2 wasn't pushed more, even after it landed on Verizon. HP missed a big opportunity there.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    You know that you can use the metadoctor to upgrade your VZW Pre2 to 2.1, right?
    Yes, I do know that. I had all kinds of problems with using metadoctor trying to create a Sprint FrankenPre that resulted in two useless, bricked phones (Pre- and my GMS Pre2) that I will not be messing with that again.
    Bricking a pre is very very hard to do. I suspect those are probably recoverable....

Actually nevermind. I'll be happy to buy that bricked GSM Pre2 for you on the cheap. I mean, it is bricked after all. I'll give you $100 for it.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Bricking a pre is very very hard to do. I suspect those are probably recoverable....

Actually nevermind. I'll be happy to buy that bricked GSM Pre2 for you on the cheap. I mean, it is bricked after all. I'll give you $100 for it.
    Yes everyone says how hard it is to brick a Pre. Fact is after the doctor failed several times on the FrankenPre, I put the GSM radio back in the Pre2 and attempted to use the HP doctor to restore it back to factory, it fails at 12% no matter what computer I try it on or what cable I use. I've taken it apart and reassembled it many times to be sure that everything is connected properly and no matter what, doctor fails at 12%. I've asked for advice/help on these forums twice and gotten zero responses. So, for all intents and purposes, its bricked.

Even if I wanted to sell it, I wouldn't sell it to you with that snotty attitude. This is supposed to be a community of webOS fans, not a forum where people make off-the-cuff snippy remarks at total strangers because they feel they're superior. So save your money and your attitude for someone else.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I don't think he had an attitude. You might as well sell it, why do you want a phone that is definitely bricked? For parts?
    My Pre 2 is absolutely awesome. If I was a manufacturer, I'd be marketing this phone like crazy!

I guess they are waiting on the Pre 3 and TouchPad...
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Yes everyone says how hard it is to brick a Pre. Fact is after the doctor failed several times on the FrankenPre, I put the GSM radio back in the Pre2 and attempted to use the HP doctor to restore it back to factory, it fails at 12% no matter what computer I try it on or what cable I use. I've taken it apart and reassembled it many times to be sure that everything is connected properly and no matter what, doctor fails at 12%. I've asked for advice/help on these forums twice and gotten zero responses. So, for all intents and purposes, its bricked.

Even if I wanted to sell it, I wouldn't sell it to you with that snotty attitude. This is supposed to be a community of webOS fans, not a forum where people make off-the-cuff snippy remarks at total strangers because they feel they're superior. So save your money and your attitude for someone else.
    I will buy it, if you won't sell it to him. I think he was being more sarcastic than serious. On a more serious note, there are some in this community that buy phones to experiment on & to use for parts. I would like to convert it to Sprint. PM me if you want to sell.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    I will buy it, if you won't sell it to him. I think he was being more sarcastic than serious. On a more serious note, there are some in this community that buy phones to experiment on & to use for parts. I would like to convert it to Sprint. PM me if you want to sell.
    actually i don't want to sell it. i want to fix it, but i cant. i've asked for help/advice on these forums twice in hopes that some of the more experienced people here would give me a hand, and nothing. whenever i mention it in threads like this one i'm met with sarcastic/snotty replies like the one above.

what would you people do with it if i sold it? the GSM Pre2 hardware is together and apparently working, but the HP doctor will not get past 12% no matter what computer I try it on (tried 3 different ones). I've verified that the radio and GPS wires are properly connected inside it.. still fails at 12% every single time, no variation. I've tried re-downloading the doctor several times on each different computer.. tried the doctor from the webosinternals site.. same result. 12% it dies every single time. how would you guys who say it's not bricked fix it?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Omglol View Post
    I don't think he had an attitude. You might as well sell it, why do you want a phone that is definitely bricked? For parts?
    Why not? I'm using a Verizon Pre2 now.. theoretically I could use spare parts from the GSM Pre2 if something were to go wrong with it. Why should I sell it?

And by the way, here's how to say what he said without the attitude : "Hey man, if you want to sell your bricked GSM Pre2 I'll give you $100 for it."

No need to insert the snotty comments about how the Pre2 is not brickable (insinuating that I'm a moron for thinking mine is bricked).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast