Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    Even if I wanted to sell it, I wouldn't sell it to you with that snotty attitude. This is supposed to be a community of webOS fans, not a forum where people make off-the-cuff snippy remarks at total strangers because they feel they're superior. So save your money and your attitude for someone else.
    Apologies. I did not mean to be snotty. It was meant to be light hearted. I guess some smilies would have helped. Again, my apologies.

And FWIW, I don't really want to buy your phone. I'm quite happy w/my Franken Pre2. Don't really need another one.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Smartfah:

My sentiments exactly!! Although it has only been one month for me, I find myself doing so much more with my Pre 2 than I ever had the patience for with just my Pre Plus. What a wonderful world we live in
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Yes, I do know that. I had all kinds of problems with using metadoctor trying to create a Sprint FrankenPre that resulted in two useless, bricked phones (Pre- and my GMS Pre2) that I will not be messing with that again.
    Have a look here for help with the doctor. It shows what the various percentage stages represent.

http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Have a look here for help with the doctor. It shows what the various percentage stages represent.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I can't imagine you getting no response. I certainly didn't see it happen. A couple of things to try... one is to put the phone in USB update mode. Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Troubleshooting webOS Doctor
    Another might be to try starting over with a new doctor download. [might be corrupted] start over with a new computer/cable, etc. If you sent it to me and paid shipping both ways, I would take a crack at it just for practice and send it back when I'm done either way. I have doctored several phones. I have never tried to franken my phone, but I have done three meta-doctors successfully.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I can't imagine you getting no response... If you sent it to me and paid shipping both ways, I would take a crack at it...
    This is my thought, too. There are so many tools & resources available that I'd really like to try recovering the phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I can't imagine you getting no response... If you sent it to me and paid shipping both ways, I would take a crack at it...
    120 views, no responses here's a link to my post asking for help on 5/7 : http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-advice.html

Here's the rundown on what I've tried so far :

1. Swapped Sprint radio from active Pre- into dev-day GSM Pre2 according to instructions.
    2. Built metadoctor file using provided instructions (Win7x64 desktop), no errors reported.
    3. Put FrankenPre2 into recovery mode, attempted to doctor. Meta doctor got to 84% and gave a verification error. Phone booted to setup screen with spinner going, after about 10 minutes it came up with an error saying it couldn't activate my phone due to a hardware problem.
    4. Re-built the metadoctor on my laptop (Win7x64 laptop), no errors. Attempted to re-doctor, same result. 84% it errored out, phone would boot to spinner and eventually give the hardware error.

At this point I'd become a bit frustrated and I didn't want to be without a phone so I reactivated my Samsung Epic and left the FrankenPre2 laying on my desk for a bit. Not long after I decided I was going to grab a Veer on AT&T and I wanted to swap the GSM radio back in to the GSM Pre2 and doctor it back to stock as a backup phone. Here's that story :

1. Swapped GSM radio back into GSM Pre2.
    2. Went to HP website, entered serial number and downloaded the official 2.1 doctor file.
    3. Put phone into recovery mode, started doctor, it gets to 12% and gives the "we cannot restore your phone" error. (phone was showing the image of the chip with the arrow pointing down)
    4. Downloaded the doctor from the webOSInternals site on the same computer and try again, 12% same failure.
    5. Downloaded HP official doctor file on my Win7x64 laptop and attempted, again 12% failure.
    6. Downloaded HP official doctor file on an old WinXP 32-bit system, 12% failure again.
    7. Took GSM Pre2 apart again and reseated the comms board ribbon cables to be sure they were connected properly, attempted to re-doctor, failed at 12% again.

At this point I got fed up with it. After having issues trying to get a Veer on AT&T (documented elsewhere on the forums), I opted to go for a Verizon Pre2 which I am happily using today

No idea what else to try on this thing.

Semi-good news is that my Pre- works, but will no longer charge batteries (rebooted a couple times, tried to follow some instructions I found to correct the issue but no dice).
    These do sound like hardware issues on the face of it, but I am still not convinced that it cannot be recovered. I would like the opportunity to try to fix them.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    120 views, no responses here's a link to my post asking for help on 5/7 : http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-advice.html

Here's the rundown on what I've tried so far :

1. Swapped Sprint radio from active Pre- into dev-day GSM Pre2 according to instructions.
    2. Built metadoctor file using provided instructions (Win7x64 desktop), no errors reported.
    3. Put FrankenPre2 into recovery mode, attempted to doctor. Meta doctor got to 84% and gave a verification error. Phone booted to setup screen with spinner going, after about 10 minutes it came up with an error saying it couldn't activate my phone due to a hardware problem.
    4. Re-built the metadoctor on my laptop (Win7x64 laptop), no errors. Attempted to re-doctor, same result. 84% it errored out, phone would boot to spinner and eventually give the hardware error.

At this point I'd become a bit frustrated and I didn't want to be without a phone so I reactivated my Samsung Epic and left the FrankenPre2 laying on my desk for a bit. Not long after I decided I was going to grab a Veer on AT&T and I wanted to swap the GSM radio back in to the GSM Pre2 and doctor it back to stock as a backup phone. Here's that story :

1. Swapped GSM radio back into GSM Pre2.
    2. Went to HP website, entered serial number and downloaded the official 2.1 doctor file.
    3. Put phone into recovery mode, started doctor, it gets to 12% and gives the "we cannot restore your phone" error. (phone was showing the image of the chip with the arrow pointing down)
    4. Downloaded the doctor from the webOSInternals site on the same computer and try again, 12% same failure.
    5. Downloaded HP official doctor file on my Win7x64 laptop and attempted, again 12% failure.
    6. Downloaded HP official doctor file on an old WinXP 32-bit system, 12% failure again.
    7. Took GSM Pre2 apart again and reseated the comms board ribbon cables to be sure they were connected properly, attempted to re-doctor, failed at 12% again.

At this point I got fed up with it. After having issues trying to get a Veer on AT&T (documented elsewhere on the forums), I opted to go for a Verizon Pre2 which I am happily using today

No idea what else to try on this thing.

Semi-good news is that my Pre- works, but will no longer charge batteries (rebooted a couple times, tried to follow some instructions I found to correct the issue but no dice).

The charging issue sounds like you didn't get the correct tokens transferred over. I am sure they are recoverable it just will take a little more time, effort and patience.
    I didn't think tokens were necessary for making a Pre2: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    As my Pre- is dying (cracked case, failing keyboard: B,M,Enter), I just bought an Unlocked GSM pre 2 and am planning to FrankenPre it when it arrives..... I see from the upgrade details that there isn't currently a "publicly available" way of keeping Sprint Navigation going. What else am I going to lose? Should I remove all of my old patches or does that matter? I already have SaveRestore going, so I should be OK with that....

I really wish I had new hardware that I could have just BOUGHT from Sprint, but whatever.... If this doesn't work out, I'll probably get a Nexus S with my still-remaining upgrade.
    You'll also lose Nascar, Amazon, SprintTV, and all the other sprintified apps.

Removing patches from your Pre- isn't going to matter. You're going to be installing meta-doctor onto the Pre2, which will wipe out everything that's on there. Save/Restore is a good idea.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Iím coming up on 3 months with my FrankenPre 2 and I still feel like I have a new toy. Iím not bored with it or ready to move on to the latest, greatest phone of the week. This phone is pure awesome, itís a crying shame HP didnít put any resources into marketing the Pre 2.

3 months after I had my Pre minus, I was frustrated from lag, TMC errors, poor battery life, the list can go on. Any time I wanted to show off webOS, killer lag & TMC errors would always pop up. Compare that to 3 months into rocking my Franken Pre 2 and this thing is the Bees Knees. No lag, no overclocking required, itís a multi-tasking beast and the battery lasts me the whole day without a problem. I usually average 20% by the end of the day (around 11:00 - midnight).

I use my phone a lot more now than I did with my Pre minus. I play games more, listen to music more, email more, read more on it, download & use more paid apps (supporting more devs FTW). I just want to use this phone like crazy & enjoy webOS the way it was meant to be enjoyed; without worrying about saving battery life or how slow the phone will lag. I get to do that now on my Pre 2.

Also when showing off my phone I get a lot more favorable reactions and compliments on the Pre 2 (relating to both hardware & webOS), than I did on my Pre minus. I think the Pre 2 deserves to shine a lot more than it has, and it definitely should have been on Sprint; a lot of people would have been pleased with this bad boy!

For you guys rocking Pre 2ís what are your thoughts? Do you feel the same way?
    Is the Pre 2 the Bees Knees?

Ahh the Pre 2, the phone that could have been.

Thanks j_benj for the pic
    Good for you, dear.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12