Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The camera lens on the Pre and Pre 2 get filthy after only a day or two. The lens gets so dirty that any photos taken are cloudy and out of focus.

The recessed lens makes it hard to clean. How do you guys clean the camera lens out without scratching it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I'm sure others have better methods, however, I will wipe around the lens with a microfiber cloth from time to time.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Just take off the back and wipe it. I use lcd screen cleaning wipes and then a tshirt.
    @jonas... off-topic, but great avatar
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas916 View Post
    Just take off the back and wipe it. I use lcd screen cleaning wipes and then a tshirt.
    Its still recessed without the cover, although taking it off does help a bit.

I find it extremely frustrating that if I forget to clean my camera lens everyday any pictures I take turn out like crap.

I pop the back off and wipe the lens clean before I use the camera if I care at all about image quality. I didn't have that problem when I kept my Pre in it's pouch, but when I started just carrying it in my pocket, the camera indentation became a lint magnet.
    I think you are overly concerned about this. As a long time amateur photographer and with a dad in the business for over 30 years I have seen demonstrations of how dirty a lens has to be to impact photos and it's pretty dang dirty.

To test this I took a bit of lens cleaning tissue and wadded it into a ball about .5mm in diameter (maybe larger) and stuck just to the left of the middle of my Pre Plus camera lens. I took pictures with and without it and couldn't see any real differences.

I'm not saying that lenses can't get so dirty that this is an issue - but the front element of a lens is pretty forgiving - the rear element is NOT.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I think you are overly concerned about this. As a long time amateur photographer and with a dad in the business for over 30 years I have seen demonstrations of how dirty a lens has to be to impact photos and it's pretty dang dirty.

To test this I took a bit of lens cleaning tissue and wadded it into a ball about .5mm in diameter (maybe larger) and stuck just to the left of the middle of my Pre Plus camera lens. I took pictures with and without it and couldn't see any real differences.

I'm not saying that lenses can't get so dirty that this is an issue - but the front element of a lens is pretty forgiving - the rear element is NOT.
    I can tell a difference between the photos on my Pre 2, without even being blown up on a computer. Next time my lens gets dirty I'll try and take some before and after shots.

On I better note I looked at the Veer today and noticed that the lens is not so far recessed. Its very nearly flush. Hopefully the Pre 3 is built the same way.

Qtips. A million and one uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post

I first noticed the problem when I tried to snap some photos of chairs to send my husband when I was at the furniture store. The photos looked horrible, with a pronounced blue cast and extremely fuzzy. It took me a while to realize that the problem was that the lens was nearly covered with lint. (Or really, the transparent lens cover, I think.) I find the recess to be a lint magnet, as I said. Opening up the gadget and swiping the lens cover on my shirt leads to a vast improvement.