1.    #1  
    after i finally found how to install WebOS 2.1 and some nice homebrew features (date & time on top bar, 'silent sign' on top bar and get rid of the nasty "Pin" when connected to my exchange server account. . . I even fixed the calendar sync issue I had (my exchange account did sync mails & contacts, but not calendar)..

Happy with everything - but - now I have a new issue since then... My Phone (yes, the icon with the green phone that's so useful :-) does not launch. it get's the "white flash" shortly (like launching an app) - but does not start.
    I can then also not use a contact all call someone - it dials - but the phone app still does not start.. BUT ... it DOES call the contact (I tested with 'weather news' and 'voicemailbox') ... but... I cannot hang up, no phone app available = no buttons... need to shutdown the phone ...

Restart does not help.

It's all fine again after a "full reset" (the one deleting my contacts & data, but not erasing the memory stick photos, music etc)

as soon as I set up the SYNC with my EXCHANGE Account again - I get the trouble again after a couple of hours...
    (no issue setting up my personal IMAP account, no issue syncing with facebook - it's just the Exchange account I think... that somehow blocks my "phone app")

I'm close to throwing it away (I had to switch to my old nokia for telephone calls because of bad voice quality my customers reported - but THATs another story...)

Can I 'reset' my palm profile, for example to get a clean "original WebOS 2.1 state" again (without the funny apps getting loaded from the palmprofile)
    Any idea welcome...
    sounds like the phone app is running, but not visible.

it's got to be a conflict among all the patches. If I were you i'd determine which are essential, carefully load them first, and the experiment with changing the order of install.

also, try to use 'advanced' patches that combine features to mnimize conflcts.

but an nvisible dialer is a new one...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for that first response.

I have installed "Themes" as well as some "Patches". Also - as explained - the "bypass PIN" - which I thought could have to do with the above explained first...

now - how can I find what I have installed - and how to remove them?

With the Quick Installer I can only ADD them... and in the Software Manager they're not there (..."filemgr" now appears again there when I install with the quickinstaller - but the "Patches" are not visible there...

Where can I find what's installed? (maybe on filesystem? I should see what patches are installed to kick them out - the "Date & Time in Title" and "Brightness in Menu" are still there after the reset, but they're not in the apps list in Software Manager)

And how can I get a list of "active apps" (there i guess I should maybe find the phone app, then?)
  4.    #4  
    ...update...

After another "reset" (in the "Device Info" / "Options to Reset" I choose "Anwend./Daten löschen" (would maybe sound like "Reset App/Data" in English)) - I am now "Operative" since yesterday night.

What I did (after the Reset)
    - Selected the Language
    - Let it connect to my PalmProfile first
    - connected to my WLAN (...to download apps from there instead of mobile)
    * checked phone/dialler app - works
    - entered the Facebook PWD
    - entered IMAP email account - email download & sending works
    Restarted Phone - not all apps are there yet - to check if phone/dialler app works
    in the meantime, all apps are installed properly, did some check for function - seems all OK.

...now - since 4 hours - i have configured the Exchange Server Account
    - I've configured it to ONLY to eMail & Calendar first
    eMail & Contacts are synced from my Exchange account. I can also send mails.
    another reboot of the device

AND - STUCK AGAIN - the phone/dialler does not work anymore... !! (looks like the last reboot causing this - maybe linked to any activity before (adding the Exchange Account - I am still somehow convinced...)
    have you tried turning off or on address lookup for the exchange account in the accounts app? I had to turn it off as my global address book is not accessible from exchange account. Just an idea.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    have you tried turning off or on address lookup for the exchange account in the accounts app?
    Yes - tried that. I have now only added "e-Mail" - "Contacts" and "Calendar"

I'll try today with "only eMail" as a next try
    (I'm now back with normal operations since yesterday night - so - more than 12 hours plus about 3, 4 'restarts' after the last reset)
  7.    #7  
    Reset App&Data

- Selected the Language
    - Let it connect to my PalmProfile first
    - connected to my WLAN (...to download apps from there instead of mobile)
    - entered the Facebook PWD
    - entered IMAP email account

many restarts (4 or 5 or more) in the meantime
    all apps are (auto-re-)installed properly, did some check for function - seems all OK.
    Facebook & SIM Contacts are available
    IMAP eMail available

Only "Exchange Account" config is open...

I work with "Flight Mode" lot of the time because of bad Voice Quality - I then switch on again the WLAN - and make phone calls with my old Nokia 8230i - I don't think the flight-mode has anything to do with it - but want to mention that here.

Now - I've changed the Exchange Account to ONLY sync eMail (no Contacts, no Global Address search, no Calendar, no Tasks).

eMails are already there now (few seconds after entering the password)
    I still get phone calls, and still can use the phone/dialler at this moment...

Now I am monitoring the situation for a couple of hours, before I'd then add ... either calendar or contacts - I will need those three things minimum... eMail, Contacts, Calendar...

I want to try first to reboot - after my phone changed to 'black' /Screen saver - I've tried to get back to again check phone/dialler and email - but I cannot do that reboot...
    The screen saver does NOT properly react on the power-button (I do NOT get that green icon to get back to the screen - i only have "ceiling with clouds" image - nothing else...
    also no success opening the slider...
    THAT seems to be the start of the issues (?) - I saw this before ... Now i either find a way - or will remove battery to restart the phone...

When I press power-button for a while, there is this sound like "you want to switch off?" - but the screen does NOT change, no screen options, just this sound and the "clouds-background image"...

When I press power-button for approx 5 secs - a little longer than the time until the sound comes - it looks like switched off (full black) - but then after pressing power-button again, i DO SUDDENLY GET this Yellow "unlock" icon and see the "3 switch off options" in the background... by moving the yellow unlock icon - i get again to this "clouds-background image"...

I now remove battery..

And restart... guess what...

Yes - there we go again... Phone/Dialler is 'dead'.

I really need help - I am also happy if I know how to fully kill everything... Is the "Re-Installation" of WebOS 2.1 from "www.palm.com/rom" the way - or will I also get all apps reinstalled by my palmprofile and end up at the same place... ?
    I'd be happy for the time if I need to live without any homebrew stuff - as long as
    - my phone works (one of the main functions I'd expect from that thing)
    - my eMails, Contacts, Calendar from Exchange are synched
    ... the rest is for fun and nice-to-have only...
    You could try one more option. Since you are willing to "fully kill everything" you should also rule out the possibility of some corrupt data in your palm profile coming back and haunting your phone. Got to the last page in launcher "System" -> "Backup" Move the slider from "on" to "off". It will give you a warning that the back up in your palm profile will be deleted. Confirm that. this will give you a clean profile to start with.

No go to "Device Info" -> "Reset Options" -> third option in red color "Erase Apps & Data".

After device reboots enter your palm profile data and start with the usual set up such as setting up of Exchange Account etc.

Then go through the same start up procedure and initial testing as listed above without any patches. Hopefully it helps.

I had a similar problem but I was not able to pinpoint exactly what caused it. I suspect it was in someway related to the "Advanced Preferences" framework and settings in the Phone screen. it did something which my GSM service provider did not like. After rebooting people would call me and I would not see any ringing or notification on screen. But after they hung up I would immediately get a missed call notification. I was also unable to make calls. I would reach the phone dial up screen but the number would not dial. If I pressed the green phone icon it did nothing. After a few experiments I finally did the above procedure and it sorted itself out. But I am staying away from the consolidated "Advanced......" series of patches for the time being.

Oh and of course if nothing works there's always the webOS Doctor option. But before you resort to that try the above suggestion as its less cumbersome and time consuming.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
    Did you have patches installed during the 2.1 update? If so, go straight to webOS doctor. Anytime you plan on doing a partial erase with patches you really need to run the ERP prior to keep things clean for erases do not remove them. However since the erases have been done already, it's really time to visit the doctor, it's like a partial erase but also fixes the OS since none of the erases do this. Do make sure to backup the USB data in case since there is always the chance the doctor could wipe the USB data too.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    ..."System" -> "Backup" Move the slider from "on" to "off". It will give you a warning that the back up in your palm profile will be deleted. Confirm that. this will give you a clean profile to start with.... ...Then go through the same start up procedure and initial testing as listed above without any patches.

now - THAT's interesting.
    first: IT WORKED (at least, since almost two days I am back operational)
    but... it still has installed ALL my apps, also patches (i can easily see by the "DD.MM. HH:MM" timeformat on top of the screen... - maybe some others are not there - I dont know how to see)
    All Apps icons are in the main app group (the other groups were away) - so somehow it did erease more...

never mind - at the moment I am fine - and happy again... (and... if it would come back, I'll go the doctoring path...)

THANKS to all!
    I'm glad I was able to help. You are welcome! You just gave me my first thank you on the forums after the old ones got deleted in a server crash or something at treocentral many many years ago but then I had been away from these forums for quite a while :-)
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    It is the Bypass Pin Patch. Remove that and everything will work ok - it must not be ready for 2.1 yet.

Update: You probably don't have a PIN set. The bypass PIN Patch requires a pin be set first. When you doctor your phone it does not copy the previous pin (not stored in palm profile or save/restore). Set a PIN and you can install the Bypass Pin patch again. Most orgs have a setting on the EAS servers that requires a pin be set. Restoring from Preware and Save/Restore resinstalls the patches but dosn't require a pin be set. The phone app is trying to verify the pin and can't because there isn't one.