Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought the "Too many cards open" issue was fixed in 2.0. I get it frequently now on my Pre 2 with 2.0.1. Is this just another thing I'll have to get used to along the lines of Verizon not putting out OTA updates?
    That doesn't sound like standard behavior to me. You may have an oft-used app with a memory leak. I see TMC extremely rarely on my Pre2 and only after running a couple of PDK apps. I'm running on a Sprint FrankenPre2 with 2.1.0 at the moment though.
    I also get the dreaded TMC error on my pre2..

But only after opening 68 cards with several PDK apps

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I have never had a TMC error on my Pre 2. I believe there is an issue with one of your installed apps. I never even get lag!

I had it once. But I had a ton of cards open, and some real taxing apps. Probably 40 total cards, and several stacks of more than 10 each. I probably hadn't restarted the phone in a month, too. I restarted the phone and it never happened again.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    That doesn't sound like standard behavior to me. You may have an oft-used app with a memory leak. I see TMC extremely rarely on my Pre2 and only after running a couple of PDK apps. I'm running on a Sprint FrankenPre2 with 2.1.0 at the moment though.
    Yep. Poor apps crash iPhone4's all the time as well. Make sure you download quality apps and check the phone performance after each. If it degrades, delete that app and you should be good to go.
    awkward. I have never ever had a TMC error on my Pre 2. I LOVE The way this thing performs. Its great. Apart from the occasional Luna resets.
    Same here, instead of TMCs, there are some Luna resets (Pre2 on 2.1)
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Never had a TMC
    hmmm ppl getting it on the veer also. so its def not fixed on 2.x
    Never had a TMC on my Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    hmmm ppl getting it on the veer also. so its def not fixed on 2.x
    Judging from my experience and most of the answers in this topic, it is fixed.
    TMC isn't just somethin that can be "fixed". They can choose not to display it, then people will say TMC is fixed, but you will always run into a situation where you run out of memory eventually. In all the time I've owned a Pre 2, I've only run into that situation once, where I lost count how often it happened in the same time frame with my Pre.

If it really is an app, rebooting the phone should stop TMC. If TMC does stop, then you can start seeing which app is leaking memory.

I've never experienced a TMC error either.
  15.    #15  
    Thank you all for your responses. I have taken the advice and deleted some apps I wasn't using that may have been causing the TMCs as well as one I know wasn't updated to 2.x. I hope it solves my issues! If it doesn't ..."I'll be back..." [To bad Arnold may not be... ;-)]
    I too have this problem now on my pre 2 (franken pre) it was going great, and I have downloaded something with a memory leak, but I went on a download spree at that time, is there a way to narrow my search down for the rogue app?

Looking for guidance on developing email me for some good sources of info please, thanks!
    There is some confusion about the TMC error.
    Technically, the eventual occurrence of the TMC notification can never be 'fixed' because it simply tells you that you've run out of RAM.

Since webOS (like Windows) is truly multitasking and won't close stuff behind your back without your express consent, there WILL ALWAYS be a notification that tells you to free up RAM if all your RAM is used by previously opened apps (like on Windows). It's not a bug, it's a feature.

We did use to have a bug - commonly called by the name of the TMC notification - in older phones that would tell you to close cards even if you only had one or two (or sometimes none at all) cards open. That HAS been fixed, although one can argue that the additional RAM in webOS2-capable devices is what fixed it, and not anything that webOS2 does or does different.

OP, if you're experiencing TMC errors on a Pre2 without having between 40 and 60 cards open, you should test around with not using any (possibly obscure) apps and patches you have installed and which you have observed to be running when the error occurs, because there are some buggy apps and patches that leak memory and will end up hogging all the RAM that you have. This is very likely what's happening to you.

There's very little else anybody can tell you because you have a relatively rare issue (as vouched for by all the people in this thread stating that TMC is gone). If everything else fails, there's always the nuclear option of doctoring your phone, but it's highly likely that the issue is caused by an app or patch you're using, with homebrew being more likely to cause issues because of its lack of testing when compared to HP-approved catalog apps.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyCulbertson View Post
    is there a way to narrow my search down for the rogue app?
    The scientific method.
    Next time you observe a TMC notification, make a note of the apps you have open at the time. One of them is bound to be the culprit although recently closed apps could also be at fault. After two or three TMC occurrences, you should be able to see some overlap.
    Rule out stock apps and semi-rule out really, really, REALLY commonly used apps that everybody else who doesn't have problems is also using every day (like Angry Birds, Pandora or Govnah).
    You should now have a rather small set of suspicious apps. Write them up. Now don't use the first app on the list. If it still occurs, start using that app and stop using the second one instead. And so on, until you don't see the TMC error at all anymore. You have found the offending app - and should tell everyone including the Dev about it!

(we should really have a thread naming known memory-leaking apps somewhere, as a directory for people who are getting TMCs when they shouldn't be getting any to look in as a first step)
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/19/2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    We did use to have a bug - commonly called by the name of the TMC notification - in older phones that would tell you to close cards even if you only had one or two (or sometimes none at all) cards open. That HAS been fixed, although one can argue that the additional RAM in webOS2-capable devices is what fixed it, and not anything that webOS2 does or does different.
    I can say with certainty that it hasn't been fixed, at least not 100%. I've been experiencing this problem on my Pre 2 since December. At first it was intermittent but now I can expect to get it every 24-48 hours. I've spent lots of time on the phone with Palm support trying various fixes including a doctor, dummy profile, no homebrew, various combinations of those but still manage to get the error even with no cards open. I also had Palm send a replacement device which exhibited the same problems.

I've been chatting with rretsiem (TheCodingBees) for the past couple months via Twitter and he's been having the same issues. We've been unable to find any potential solutions in our discussions. At this point the only thing I can imagine it could be related to is perhaps a synergy account. I'm trying with only Google (Contacts, Calendar, Mail, Messaging) and Facebook (Contacts, Photo/Video Upload) for now to see if that helps.

While I'm not glad it's happening to OP, I am glad to know that there's someone other than rretsiem and myself that are in this boat. Maybe if we can put our resources together we can figure out why it's happening.

It's quite frustrating as I don't believe I'm using my phone in any unusual manner compared to others on here...basically just using the phone as it's designed but these problems keep cropping up.
    Hi!

as nkedge (@zneil ??) mentioned, I'm the other one who still has issues with a Pre2.
    Every 2 or 3 days I get a TMC error, and I don't have normally more than 5 apps open. I doctored last weekend to see if that helped. What should I say, after 2 days I had the first TMC error, where only a reboot helps.
    Even if I close all apps, the phone is laggy like hell and starts apps pretty slow. Sometimes it goes back to normal operation, but after a few hours, TMC error again and therefor I restart to stop haven't this annoying TMC error.

Since my last metadoctoring I even hadn't Preware installed. All standard 2.1. I have 3 Google Accounts and one Exhcange Account set up.
    Here are my apps that I've normally open.

- Mail
    - Phnx
    - Carbon
    - MyWebOSApps
    - Messaging (mostly closed)

Nothing more, no patches or anything else. I even didn't set up the facebook account.
    what apps do you have installed?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast