1.    #1  
    Hi All, I bought a Pre 2 last night!!
    I just wanted to document my experience with upgrading from a Pixi+.

First impressions:
    I must say I am surprised at how smooth it went.
    It is fast!!
    I love the subtle changes. I don't feel like it's overdone, or foreign.. it's my "same old phone" but with lots of small new details.
    Facebook app freaked out but I deleted my "account" then re-entered it and all was well.
    All apps transferred sucessfully except for one that was Pixi specific (Angry Birds Pixi Edition)... I expected this.

Observations:
    Email accounts copied over (passwords had to be re-entered)
    Memos were transferred (it's still a good idea to back them up or email them all to yourself)
    Pictures were not transferred
    Music was not transferred
    Texts were not transferred I was surpised at this!
    Custom sounds/ringtones were not transferred
    Alarm settings were actually transferred (although I had to delete them and re-enter for them to actually work)

lol, my only complaints is that the Pre 2 does not come with a cloth case :\ I liked those. And slide to unlock screen - you have to slide it up way farther than on Pixi+... annoying

Question:
    I put my Pixi+ in airplane mode. What exactly happens if I take it off airplane mode, does it erase everything (format the drive)? Can I still access files such as pics via USB, even if the profile is erased? Also if I turn off the Pixi while in airplane mode, when I turn it back on is it still in airplane mode?

Thanks everyone, I'm excited

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    Welcome!

I put my Pixi+ in airplane mode. What exactly happens if I take it off airplane mode, does it erase everything (format the drive)? Can I still access files such as pics via USB, even if the profile is erased? Also if I turn off the Pixi while in airplane mode, when I turn it back on is it still in airplane mode?
    Answering your questions in order:
    1. I don't know what happens if you take it off airplane mode. I've heard rumor that it's supposed to erase itself. But I've never experienced that happening to me even though I've had multiple phones on the same profile. Of course only one of them has been on an active cell network at a time. The other was using wifi to get access to the network.
    2. Yes you can access files from USB. In fact I would highly recommend that you turn your pixi on, and backup everything on the USB drive to your computer.
    3. Yes, if you turned the phone off in airplane mode, it *should* turn back on in airplane mode. At least it always has for me.

Good luck.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    I just wanted to document my experience with upgrading from a Pixi+.

First impressions:
    I must say I am surprised at how smooth it went.
    It is fast!!
    I love the subtle changes. I don't feel like it's overdone, or foreign.. it's my "same old phone" but with lots of small new details.
    Facebook app freaked out but I deleted my "account" then re-entered it and all was well.
    All apps transferred sucessfully except for one that was Pixi specific (Angry Birds Pixi Edition)... I expected this.

Observations:
    Email accounts copied over (passwords had to be re-entered)
    Memos were transferred (it's still a good idea to back them up or email them all to yourself)
    Pictures were not transferred
    Music was not transferred
    Texts were not transferred I was surpised at this!
    Custom sounds/ringtones were not transferred
    Alarm settings were actually transferred (although I had to delete them and re-enter for them to actually work)

lol, my only complaints is that the Pre 2 does not come with a cloth case :\ I liked those. And slide to unlock screen - you have to slide it up way farther than on Pixi+... annoying

Question:

Thanks everyone, I'm excited
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe erasing a profile will erase the USB partition and you will lose any pictures stored there. I would recommend backing up anything you are worried about losing to your PC.

As far as turning on airplane mode, is it still setup for service or did you swap your pixi line over to the Pre 2? If you swapped the line over then airplane mode won't matter as the phone won't have a connection to a cell tower, so I think the only thing that could possibly hurt would be having wifi enabled. In any event, I believe airplane mode will persist through a restart. Palm wouldn't want to be responsible for knocking a plane out of the sky from a Pre reboot. - JK
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your answers. Yes, I swaped my line over. I powered the device off last night so I hope it will remain in airplane mode! I did back things up, but I want the old device working "just in case" something was left behind.

Btw, The Google Maps is amazingly accurate!! I am so happy about this b/c my Pixi had infinite problems. Pixi never found my work building and but now Pre2 even knows what side of the building I am on!

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

That is good to know. That is one of the things I like most about webOS. It is so simple to utilize as a USB drive. Copying, moving, backing up info is extremely easy.
    Airplane mode will stay when the Pixi + is powered back on. I have a Pre+ which I use to charge my extra battery, it stays in airplane mode when I power it on daily.
    If the Pixi+ is connected to the internet via wifi, it will attempt to connect to Palm which will see the duplicate profile and lock the device (that's happened to me), if it does, it will not wipe the US partition, that's how it went with my Pre+.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Airplane mode will stay when the Pixi + is powered back on. I have a Pre+ which I use to charge my extra battery, it stays in airplane mode when I power it on daily.
    If the Pixi+ is connected to the internet via wifi, it will attempt to connect to Palm which will see the duplicate profile and lock the device (that's happened to me), if it does, it will not wipe the US partition, that's how it went with my Pre+.
    Agreed. I recently switched out my Pre Plus for another from the same carrier due to keyboard issues. The device was not in Airplane mode and when it came back up it wiped the things that are contained in your profile (contacts, apps, etc.) but the usb portion was intact when I activated it in developer only mode.

Later I did a full secure erase to remove all traces of my files since this was a device that had to be returned.

Additionally I can confirm that a Pre Plus always persists airplane mode across bootup - at least in my experience.