Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    I think I've created some oreo in my Pre2!

    I don't recall it being there prior to the surgery to install the sprint comms board, but I suppose it could have been and I just didn't notice it. But now, I've got this tiny little bit of oreo.. less than 1mm.. and it irritates me... badly.

    Anyone else had this happen to them? Is there something that I need to tighten/adjust to eliminate this? Suggestions?
    Twitter: dullgeek
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I think I've created some oreo in my Pre2!

    I don't recall it being there prior to the surgery to install the sprint comms board, but I suppose it could have been and I just didn't notice it. But now, I've got this tiny little bit of oreo.. less than 1mm.. and it irritates me... badly.

    Anyone else had this happen to them? Is there something that I need to tighten/adjust to eliminate this? Suggestions?
    Check the 4 phillips screws that hold the sliding mechanism (behind the battery). Also, check that you properly inserted the mirror thing under the black top tab.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Check the 4 phillips screws that hold the sliding mechanism (behind the battery).
    Yeah I did that last night, but didn't fix it.
    Also, check that you properly inserted the mirror thing under the black top tab.
    I never took out the mirror thing under the black top tab. I only took off the back panel (the thing with the antenna) and the comms board. I don't know how to get the mirror off. I've only thought about doing it so that I can put the Sprint mirror into this Verizon Pre2. But it never actually turned into action.

    Thanks for the advice.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4. #4  
    Have you owned sliders before?
    1mm wiggle isn't oreo.
  5.    #5  
    The only sliders I've owned are:

    Me:
    • Pre- for 18 mos
    • Pre+ for 1 month
    • Pre2 for 1 week

    Wife:
    • LG Rumor 2
    • Samsung M520


    The Pre- had very bad oreo. The Pre+ had no oreo... zero. The Pre2 twists less than the minus but way more than the plus. My wife's LG has some twist to it, but it doesn't seem as bothersome to either of us. The Samsung had no twist at all.

    The Pre2 twists more now than it did when I got it. I've obviously changed something.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    The only sliders I've owned are:

    Me:
    • Pre- for 18 mos
    • Pre+ for 1 month
    • Pre2 for 1 week

    Wife:
    • LG Rumor 2
    • Samsung M520


    The Pre- had very bad oreo. The Pre+ had no oreo... zero. The Pre2 twists less than the minus but way more than the plus. My wife's LG has some twist to it, but it doesn't seem as bothersome to either of us. The Samsung had no twist at all.

    The Pre2 twists more now than it did when I got it. I've obviously changed something.
    Sorry, I posted my above post mobile.
    I now see in your sig you have had sliders.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #7  
    I am on my second Pre2 as the first not only had Oreo but also rocked top to bottom when the slider was open. The second one doesnt rock top to bottom but has Oreo. Still have my Pre- after 18 months or so and is solid as a rock - or pebble, i suppose. Sorry that is no help to you though.
  8. #8  
    Have a look the metal tabs on which the sliders move. If there is a slight gap, you tend to have oreo.

    One fix which I found by chance was to pry out the ends the black silicon/plastic covering on the railing and push it back almost back to its original position. ie such that the gap between slider & plastic rail covering is zero.

    This has made my oreo and poor keyboard action almost disappear. Worked well on pre-,+ & 2

    Just note : Prying, pushing off the plastic rail cover is tricky, you need to be careful! Small screwdriver will help
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    Have a look the metal tabs on which the sliders move. If there is a slight gap, you tend to have oreo.

    One fix which I found by chance was to pry out the ends the black silicon/plastic covering on the railing and push it back almost back to its original position. ie such that the gap between slider & plastic rail covering is zero.

    This has made my oreo and poor keyboard action almost disappear. Worked well on pre-,+ & 2

    Just note : Prying, pushing off the plastic rail cover is tricky, you need to be careful! Small screwdriver will help
    This works when closed.. open still has wiggle! I'll look more tomorrow, but for what it's worth it took me all of five minutes and I went from 1.5mm wiggle to .2mm wiggle when closed!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  10. #10  
    I have a franken pre 2, and I haven't really had any issues. I have a slight wiggle when it's closed, and none when the slider is open. Too bad my pre - wasn't this sturdy.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I have a franken pre 2, and I haven't really had any issues. I have a slight wiggle when it's closed, and none when the slider is open. Too bad my pre - wasn't this sturdy.
    so I'm going to apply a little Internet necromancy here and revive this thread.
    I got the pre2 back in July for my wife. 2 weeks later my wife decided st hated it and made me buy her a droid. I inherited her pre2. About the first few days of October the Oreo started to develop, and it's been worsening. I called Verizon and they are sending me a replacement.

    I'm wondering how many people have had this develop that just haven't been bringing it up.
  12. #12  
    Well, I've had my Pre2 and used it as my main phone since March, until last week that I got my Preł. No Oreo at all

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
    so I'm going to apply a little Internet necromancy here and revive this thread.
    I got the pre2 back in July for my wife. 2 weeks later my wife decided st hated it and made me buy her a droid. I inherited her pre2. About the first few days of October the Oreo started to develop, and it's been worsening. I called Verizon and they are sending me a replacement.

    I'm wondering how many people have had this develop that just haven't been bringing it up.
    Ok. Oreo is definited by the community as:


    Having the slider move a millimeter or two is not cause for concern and replacement would be absurd. If it was significant though, there are a few DIY methods that might remedy or you could shoot for replacement like you did.

    Just throws me for a loop when people say they have the "oreo effect" on their phone when it's only a little give. We all know that the Pre and Pre2 slider is not the best.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Ok. Oreo is definited by the community as:
    Click to view quoted image
    That is an awesome picture.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  15. #15  
    Palm should've extended the oreo effect to have the keyboard work on landscape

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Palm should've extended the oreo effect to have the keyboard work on landscape

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    They could have made it such an incredible feature.

    Another opportunity gone to waste. =|

    Imagine, a sliding, rotating palm pre! Best phone ever! Running webOS 1.0!!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  17. #17  
    yeah, I'll give that my pre2 isn't as bad as the picture, but it is progressive and it is still in the area of what I consider to be unacceptable fit and finish of a device. I actually scratched myself on the edge of the pre2 when it was jutting out. would have been nice if they smoothed the lip.

    ah well. my replacement gets here in a few hours. although I pretty much just feel like I'm killing time until my iPhone 4s ships.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
    yeah, I'll give that my pre2 isn't as bad as the picture, but it is progressive and it is still in the area of what I consider to be unacceptable fit and finish of a device. I actually scratched myself on the edge of the pre2 when it was jutting out. would have been nice if they smoothed the lip.

    ah well. my replacement gets here in a few hours. although I pretty much just feel like I'm killing time until my iPhone 4s ships.
    following up: replacement model has no wiggle. Also, the keyboard and screen are more responsive. Maybe they have some good work going on in the refurb department.
  19. #19  
    "oreo" gets worse when you are constantly "testing" for "oreo"
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. giggles's Avatar
    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #20  
    i just have a slight super small wiggle. not noticeable tho.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions