• 1 Post By mu7efcer
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i plan to create a franken pre 2
    but doing it in the cheapest possible way is priority for me

so i have been considering using a broken pre that has a clean esn,
    such as
    Palm Pre Sprint Clean ESN AS-IS Parts or Repair | eBay

will it work activating the franken pre 2 as a pre on sprint after the mod?

the broken pre isn't really going to be a broken one, just broken so that it still usable if the part is replaced. (excluding the comm board, the comm board needs to be working)
    thanks guys and sorry if this has been asked many times. i did a search
    Quote Originally Posted by ninditsu View Post
    i plan to create a franken pre 2
    but doing it in the cheapest possible way is priority for me

so i have been considering using a broken pre that has a clean esn,
    such as
    Palm Pre Sprint Clean ESN AS-IS Parts or Repair | eBay

will it work activating the franken pre 2 as a pre on sprint after the mod?

the broken pre isn't really going to be a broken one, just broken so that it still usable if the part is replaced. (excluding the comm board, the comm board needs to be working)
    thanks guys and sorry if this has been asked many times. i did a search
    The only thing I can think of is that you are supposed to get the tokens off the original before you transplant the com board.
    Actually you don't need the tokens for the Pre2 upgrade. My Pre2 still has the verizon tokens on it.

Also, to get a working sprint pre2, you *must* take the comms board from a pre that is already activated on your sprint account. So if you can't activate the broken pre- on your account first, you won't be able to get the comms board working in your Pre2.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Actually you don't need the tokens for the Pre2 upgrade. My Pre2 still has the verizon tokens on it.

Also, to get a working sprint pre2, you *must* take the comms board from a pre that is already activated on your sprint account. So if you can't activate the broken pre- on your account first, you won't be able to get the comms board working in your Pre2.
    I forget if you even need to use the phone for activation. Or if u just need some code under the battery or something similar to supply to sprint for activation. So I could activate it without seeing the screen on the phone
    I have never tried activating a pre2 w/o an already activated pre- comms board. So I don't know. I simply trust @pastorrich1 when he says it can't be done.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well my new question is if anyone knows the process of activating a phone through sprint, so I can know if I do not need a working screen for activation. I do not feel like I can ask a sprint rep this, given my intentions

If I can't do this, and I have to buy a fully functional pre, I will wait to see if the pre 3 is available for sprint
    Last edited by ninditsu; 05/16/2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Maybe a PM to @pastorrich1 clarifying what he meant might be in order.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I have never tried activating a pre2 w/o an already activated pre- comms board. So I don't know. I simply trust @pastorrich1 when he says it can't be done.
    It can't be done. I tried to do it and it was a nightmare. You have to activate the Pre -, run the scripts, then install the comm board (obviously follow the directions from WebOS Internals) and all will be right in the world.

Since I got my Franken Pre 2 working, my life has been better, dogs and cats have lived in peace, and baby seals are no longer clubbed to death. Not really, but I absolutely LOVE my Franken Pre 2!

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Read post 6. Then get back to me. I got that it won't work without activating before diassembling
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Read post 6. Then get back to me. I got that it won't work without activating before diassembling
    I was simply adding my experience (albeit enhanced)...no need to be an a*s about it......

However, I would think it would be difficult to get it activated without a working touchscreen. You can buy a fully working pre minus on ebay that is heavily scarred for little. I purchased one for my Pre Plus conversion for around 20 bucks if I recall....

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    sorry man wasn't trying to be an ***.

thanks for your contribution. just would like everyone to read entire thread and be caught up, its not too long anyway.

sorry again man.

edit: i also thought you could just take the code off the back of the phone under the battery and supply it to sprint without the phone even being on. or is that only for new unlocked phones?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    sorry man wasn't trying to be an ***.

thanks for your contribution. just would like everyone to read entire thread and be caught up, its not too long anyway.

sorry again man.

edit: i also thought you could just take the code off the back of the phone under the battery and supply it to sprint without the phone even being on. or is that only for new unlocked phones?
    No worries man....it can get frustrating at times with all this...

You can take the code off the back (ESN Number) and get it activated, but I *think* part of the process is that the comm board is already activated, which to do the full blown activation you need the screen. I'd email them over at WebOS Internals as they are the pro's to be sure if the pre minus actually has to be up and running first.

I suspect that it does, as I activated the comm board I put in my Pre 2 before I turned it on, but it was out of a deactivated Pre minus. I was unable to make it work until I put it back in the minus and then activated it including signing into a profile. Once that was done I swapped the comm board back into the Pre 2 and it was all good. I might have made another error, so checking with them might be a good bet too.

RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    No worries man....it can get frustrating at times with all this...

You can take the code off the back (ESN Number) and get it activated, but I *think* part of the process is that the comm board is already activated, which to do the full blown activation you need the screen. I'd email them over at WebOS Internals as they are the pro's to be sure if the pre minus actually has to be up and running first.

I suspect that it does, as I activated the comm board I put in my Pre 2 before I turned it on, but it was out of a deactivated Pre minus. I was unable to make it work until I put it back in the minus and then activated it including signing into a profile. Once that was done I swapped the comm board back into the Pre 2 and it was all good. I might have made another error, so checking with them might be a good bet too.
    Well doesn't matter now, i made a deal with someone for a sprint pre that is fully functional. Thanks guys.
    I might email them anyway. This would be good to know for anyone who wants to achieve what I wanted to do, to make a frankenpre
    Don't give up on the franken pre2. The sprint pre is pretty crappy by comparison.
    capt4chris likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Don't give up on the franken pre2. The sprint pre is pretty crappy by comparison.
    i meant that i made a deal with someone so i can use a fully functional sprint pre for the conversion rather than buying a broken one. thanks for the encouragement though.
    all you need is a donor sprint pre who's comm board has been activated. The frankenpre2 is one of the easiest hardware transplant. The whole comm backplate antenna assy swaps to pre2. Then just run metadoctor. Writing this w 6 month old frankenpre...daily phone
    So if I'm dismantling my non-working Pre- properly (practicing in anticipation of doing it with a working one once my Pre 2 is delivered), it looks like the frankenPre2 will use the speaker/camera/power button of the Pre-? Was the camera on the Pre2 updated significantly from the Pre-?
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
    So if I'm dismantling my non-working Pre- properly (practicing in anticipation of doing it with a working one once my Pre 2 is delivered), it looks like the frankenPre2 will use the speaker/camera/power button of the Pre-? Was the camera on the Pre2 updated significantly from the Pre-?
    This is a good question. I thought the comm board was the only part being used.
    Yeah, you are donating the back bezel assembly connected to the gps, comm board and everything. The only tricky part is seperating the volume ribbon from the backplate of the Pre 2. Be REAL CAREFUL and maybe practice seperating that part on the donor Pre- first so you can see how they fit together.