Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So with the glass screen on my (brand new) Pre2, I'm discovering that I get a metric ton of fingerprints on it, and I find myself cleaning it frequently. Has a general consensus emerged as to whether or not the Pre2's screen should have a screen protector installed? Does all that oil from my greasy little fingers do any damage?

I noticed that my favorite screen protector from my Pre- is not available for the Pre2 (boxwave). But with the plastic screen on the Pre it was a much bigger deal.

So does the screen require protection? If so, what protection do you recommend?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    The product video that I have seen on the Gorilla Glass leads me to believe that there is no need for a screen protector.

However, if a sub $20 investment gives you peace of mind. Why not???

I'm not sure if there is much difference in protection/performance amongst the choices. Personally, I prefer those that don't require moisture to apply.
    they are $1 off ebay. Sounds like a good insurance
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I have a Skinomi on mine mostly because the fingerprints just don't show on it. It is a liquid-based application, but it sure works well. I've put them on something like 6 phones now and never had a problem. I highly recommend them.
  5.    #5  
    Ok. So I looked for the gorilla glass demo video, and found this:

So I guess I don't really have to worry that much about protecting the glass. However, it still does take a lot of oil from my finger. Any recommendations on how to reduce the blur that is caused by the oils in my fingers?

Update: I see one vote for Skinomi. I'm less interested in water based installation, but will consider it if it's best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    The product video that I have seen on the Gorilla Glass leads me to believe that there is no need for a screen protector.
    However, plenty of real world cases of iPhone 4's would lead me to believe the opposite.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will).

I don't believe Apple utilizes actual Corning Gorilla Glass.
    I used some tough thin plastic thing (something skinz, I think) that had to be applied with soapy water on my Pre-. I think it is terrific. Not only does it prevent scratches (which is probably not an issue with gorilla glass) but it also vastly reduced my fingerprint problems. It was slightly fussy to apply, but it's lasted forever. I even put the Pre in my pocket with keys sometimes, and it's been unscathed. And if fingerprints show (maybe I've just been eating a greasy sandwich) I can wipe the whole thing off on my shirt and they go away.
    From personal experience, I can certify that "Corning Gorilla Glass" is mostly hype and is not even close to being as damage resistant as advertized.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I have seen a couple of users with Pre2's saying that they broke or scratched their screens fairly easily - they recommended using a screen protector.
    I have a phantomskinz on my Pre 2 and I love having it on there. Just gives me that extra little bit. Why not protect your investment a little more for not much money? Might as well ya? And it'll keep your screen clean forever.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Phantom Skinz on my Pre 2 also. I Have had used Skinomi, Zagg and Phantom Skinz on my Pre + and I prefer Phantom Skinz over the other two.
  13.    #13  
    Ok. Convinced by the consensus, I bought this 2-pack from ebay for $2.95 (including free shipping).
    remember: Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. I always keep a screen protector on my Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Booch View Post
    Phantom Skinz on my Pre 2 also. I Have had used Skinomi, Zagg and Phantom Skinz on my Pre + and I prefer Phantom Skinz over the other two.
    I've done Skinomi and Zagg - hated the Zagg - feels too "sticky."

Can you tell me why you prefer the Phantom Skinz? I like the Skinomi but I'm always open to something better!
    Have skinomi on my pre 2 after the glass being scratched by pocket lint. I'm not kidding. & it was deep. There are a few threads on here about 'horror' stories & I can promise you the gorilla glass is no where near as strong as advertised. I promise you this. I vote for skinomi. I've had it on my pre, pixi, & now my pre 2. They have lifetime warranties & are well work the effort.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Oh, & skinomi does a great job of 'filling in' pre existing scratches
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Oh, & skinomi does a great job of 'filling in' pre existing scratches
    How is it for fingerprint repellant?

Zagg says protect
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I've done Skinomi and Zagg - hated the Zagg - feels too "sticky."

Can you tell me why you prefer the Phantom Skinz? I like the Skinomi but I'm always open to something better!
    Like you, I felt the Zagg was to "Sticky", Skinomi was nice, but seemed to peal up around the edges of my Pre + (could have been my installation). I had zero issues with Phantom Skinz. I wouldn't hesitate with either Skinomi or Phantom Skinz especially with the Pre 2 where the protector does not wrap around the edges. They are both nice products. Personal preferance really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast