1.    #1  
    Verizon Pre2, WebOS 2.0.1, Not quite 2 weeks old.

I installed the Ubercalendar patch and though I liked it, it seemed to slow down my calendar dramatically so I uninstalled it. In hindsight, I now realize that Ubercalendar itself may not have been slow, but rather an installation glitch corrupted something (possibly my palm profile, since full erase and doctoring have not corrected the problem).

Now when I open the stock calendar app (or Ubercalendar - I've installed/uninstalled many times on my quest to recover), only certain functions work and even those are very slow - 30 seconds to a couple minutes to respond.

Clicking on a time or day does nothing, but I can eventually add an event from the menu... sort of - it never actually shows up on the device, but seems to save in the cloud. For example, I added an event to my exchange calendar and though it never appeared on the phone, it did show up on my desktop PC.

I've done full erases from the device menu, WebOS doctored a couple times, and tried uninstalling/installing the patch multiple times in both Preware and WebOS quick Install, but the failure remains.

Palm support spent some time with me and decided it was a hardware issue and that I should have it replaced at Verizon, but that seems hard to believe. Nobody stocks these things, so I'm left to order and wait (which I need my manager to do since it's on a business account), but I'm just not convinced it's going to work.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try a new phone even though I don't expect it to work, but I'd still like Calendar access in the meantime.

Any ideas I haven't tried?

Thanks.
    Last edited by smather89; 05/16/2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Corrected Spelling Errors
    Do any other apps/programs run slow, or does everything else run like normal? If other things are slow, install Govnah from Preware and look at the processor speed. It should switch between 300 and 1ghz.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick response.

Everything else is running as expected. Govnah reports that it's hovering aroung 1Ghz.

It definitely appears to be calendar specific. I'm wondering if in my UberCalendar testing, I may have created an entry with undesirable characters or time periods which is causing a Palm profile load error? Since the timing definitely coincides with the UberCalendar installation and the failure is calendar-specific, I'm more inclined to suspect a profile issue over hardware. That said, everything other than my calendars came in fine from the Palm profile on each reload.
    I think,. you are not alone with the problems you described. My calendar (pre plus with and without ubercalendar) is painfully slow - especially opening some events, that have notes. Sometimes opening the week view is very slow.
    Until now I have no solution
    Andreas
  5.    #5  
    Update: I received my new phone and it exhibited the identical failure, as expected. I then spent just shy of 3 hours on the phone with Palm support performing various reloads, doctors, and failed attempts to load profile backups from a date prior to the trouble. We removed all accounts other than the Palm profile from the phone. None of this worked.

Next we created a new Palm profile to rule out a 2nd consecutive hardware issue. This worked, even after all other accounts were added back in. The tech agreed that the Palm profile calendar is the culprit and suggested that we have to erase my entire Palm profile and start over. I didn’t like this plan at all. Shame on me perhaps, but I trusted in the magic of the cloud and have no 3rd party backup of my personal information (I keep business data on exchange and personal data on the Palm profile) since I left my Centro behind in January 2010.

I suggested that they first try the following:
    1. Identify and remove all entries in my original profile that were created on or after the date the trouble began?
    2. Remove only the calendar items from the profile without removing my contacts, memos & tasks to limit my overall loss?
    3. If they can’t do either of the above, can they please provide me with an export of my data that I can view in Excel or Access so I can at least print an easy reference for recreating the entries?

He said he did not have the capability to do any of those things and he would need to escalate the ticket to get those answers. A few days later, I got a call from “level 3” support that basically said none of those hopes and dreams were going to happen, so I was basically out of luck. I find it hard to believe that all of those options, let alone just one of them, aren’t available to somebody “protecting” as much data as they are. I was extremely disappointed, but I seemed to be out of options and really wanted my calendar back (I had logged back into the original profile to regain my apps), so I erased the profile and moved on.

I have had Palm products since my US Robotics Palm Pilot (prior to 3Com) so I am absolutely a fan and I really do hope they eventually reach their potential, but this experience was definitely a letdown.

So now I’m going to either get a 3rd party sync solution or switch to Google. Does Google sync contacts, calendar, tasks and memos?
    face it, calendar sucks on 1.x and 2.x. Your only hope is it gets better on 3.0. Especially you will find reoccuring events to be a huge huge problem in the calendar. if you delete few instances in a re-occuring event, it screws up the entire event.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I use google for everything contacts, calendar you name it and have yet to incur any sync problems in either direction.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    I use google for everything contacts, calendar you name it and have yet to incur any sync problems in either direction.

I use google solely too, syn problems are plenty in re-occuring event. Go to google calendar on a laptop, make a re-occuring event on laptop. Then delete few instances in the re-occuring event (ON LAPTOP), lets say you made going to daycare a reoccuring event once a week, now few weeks later delete some of the re-occuring instances ON THE LAPTOP, leaving the before and after events intact. Sync your calendar on pre, viola the whole event disappears instead of just few instances you deleted.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just switch from using google calendar to using microsoft's live calendar. You can use Exchange Active Sync with Hotmail on the Pre 2. I was having constant luna restarts on my VZW Pre 2 and decide to try Hotmail with EAS and no problems really.
    Kjamc1982,

Were you able to easily sync all your info to the ms live calendar?

Kkhandmd,

I'm sync'ing MS outlook through google using gsyncit. Re-occurring events are an issue for me as well. Outlook doesn't lose them but my pre + does. I never really look at the google calendar, it's probably losing events also. I thought it was the pre +'s issue.

From your experimenting with a laptop it seems the errors are from the google calendar. Thank you!!! This issue has bugged me and made consider looking at other os's. Now I feel more confident staying with webos and sync'ing with a 3rd party app (Chapurra) over wifi rather than google.

Jamieb
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    Kjamc1982,

Were you able to easily sync all your info to the ms live calendar?

Kkhandmd,

I'm sync'ing MS outlook through google using gsyncit. Re-occurring events are an issue for me as well. Outlook doesn't lose them but my pre + does. I never really look at the google calendar, it's probably losing events also. I thought it was the pre +'s issue.

From your experimenting with a laptop it seems the errors are from the google calendar. Thank you!!! This issue has bugged me and made consider looking at other os's. Now I feel more confident staying with webos and sync'ing with a 3rd party app (Chapurra) over wifi rather than google.

Jamieb
    An easy fix for the re-occuring events is Never delete instances in a reoccuring event from LAPTTOP. Always delete from PRE and it would sync fine with google calendar.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I use google solely too, syn problems are plenty in re-occuring event. Go to google calendar on a laptop, make a re-occuring event on laptop. Then delete few instances in the re-occuring event (ON LAPTOP), lets say you made going to daycare a reoccuring event once a week, now few weeks later delete some of the re-occuring instances ON THE LAPTOP, leaving the before and after events intact. Sync your calendar on pre, viola the whole event disappears instead of just few instances you deleted.
    Huh never tried this and it doesn't sound like I want to either! My recurring events always get added on my pc because its easier for me at work. But whenever something needs changing I always just adjust it as necessary on my Pre2. One of the best benefits of the cloud imho, I ALWAYS have my phone on me and have the ability to change my schedule from anywhere. For my purposes the calendar is solid, if not better than my Android, bb, WP and iphone experience.

"Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff