Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    1. Are homebrews worth it on the Pre 2.

2. I did a lot of reading about the original Pre using Preware, can this still be used on the Pre?

3. Some one mentioned it but i cant seem to find anything specfic to the Pre 2 just the original Pre is this the same? Could someone please throw me in the right direction on this?

4. If Preware still going for webOS 2.0/2.1 is the homebrew cat different from a 1.4.5/1.4.5.1 homebrew cat?

Sorry about all the stupid questions, is just i Finally ordered a Pre 2 after being on Android Blackberry and WP7, and im quite excited about what i will be able to do with it.

I'm not that good when it comes to hacking phones but i have managed to install ROMs on Android and WP7 and update Blackberry with leaked software unofficially.

From what i remember the community made an excellent guide on Step by Step (almost for dummies, like me) guide on 'excatley' what to do.

Matt
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    1. Yes they are. They make the phone very user-friendly. Totally worth it in my opinion. Just pick what you need.

2. Of course it can. There are about 800-900 apps and more than 500 patches available in Preware for the Pre2. Of course not all of them are worth it (and some may be not working in 2.x).

3. The same to what? You mean the Preware-homebrew installation? Yes it's the same.

4. Some things don't work for 1.4.5, some things don't work for 2.x. That's the way it goes. Many things work in both systems. Most of the new things are made for 2.x

Forget the hacking, forget the custom roms. It's very different in webOS. It's not that difficult and it is not dangerous at all. There are some guides around here, you can check the Preware wiki for its installation. Don't be afraid to ask. I did it when I got my Pre 2 and I still do for new things. Although webOS is not one of the major OS around, it has an excellent community.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware
    start with the advanced framework and advanced patched
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    start with the advanced framework and advanced patched
    are you serious? i doubt i would be able to do that sounds confusing!

Anybody have any must have Apps/Homebrews i should definitely get straight away ?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It's not confusing and it was the answer to your question.
    Right after installing Preware you just browse the list and install these things Cantaffordit just said.
    Check out the link I gave you and install Preware. Then you can search for patches and applications.

For me most of the Advanced Patches are a "must". Start from there.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Ok i havent actually got my pre 2 yet

waiting delivery but i have been playing on the virtualbox webos 2.1 sdk

i downloaded preware for that just to have a look and there is 3 advanced frameworks. how do i no which one is which for my phone there is VZW LEGACY and just framework?

I no there is a difference between the Emulator and the actual phone.

Just a little confusing, as getting started, but installing Preware on that was easy so installing it on actual phone should hopefully be easy.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    If you did it on emulator, you'll do it in your Pre2. Legacy is for older devices, you just install the "regular" one.
    The advanced framework is needed in order to then install the advanced patches. My advice is that you first play a little with your phone and then decide which things you need.

You can read the wiki for the advanced system menus here:
    Patch:AdvancedSystemMenus - WebOS Internals
    And also there is the advanced system prefs which I also find very useful:
    Patch:AdvancedSystemPrefs - WebOS Internals
    First thing I did when I got my Pre 2.

ET