1.    #1  
    One thing I have been wondering about is this...if the pre2 launched with a 3.1 inch screen...and the pre3 launches with a 3.6 inch screen....does that mean the 3.1 inch pre is done after this round of devices? I mean the pre 4 cant come out with a 3.1 inch screen again..that would be silly....or maybe they keep the 3.1 and the 3.6 inch screen and name the phones different names...(ditch the pre name for both)

...or maybe the next go around has a radical rediesgn so none of the names or screen sizes will matter anyway...which might be a good indication as to why the pre3 was named the pre3 in the first place...

Personally i really love the design and form factor of these phones and would be kinda bummed if they were changed radically...
    Me too.

I am hoping for possibly a Pre2+. (same size, same form factor, enhanced performance - Pre3 like performance).

I have stated many times. Veer (too small), Pre3 (too big), Pre2 (just right).
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I think the Pre 3 will be a critical device for HP/Palm for the foreseeable future as it retains the original Pre form factor with a slighter larger screen. If the Pre 3 doesn't bring any better sales numbers then the Pre 2 is doing now on Verizon, then we could see HP ditch this form factor altogether along with the Pre name designation since it is so tied into the current form factor and start fresh. The leaked pics a little while ago if they are indeed a slab webOS device could be the future of HP smartphones.

As much praise as the Veer might get in the webOS community, even if it was to be on multiple carriers, I cant see that phone selling in any considerable numbers to make a dent in any competing phone's sales. It is just too small to justify most potential buyers from purchasing especially since it will need to have a data pack attached to it. Also the fact that it is exclusive to AT&T only hurts matters even more, $80 minimum a month for a phone of that size where web browsing and other internet related functions will be hampered by the small screen size, not necessarily anything else since the phone itself is more then capable device as seen in all the hand's on videos.

I would get a slab 4"+ webOS device with the Pre 3 internals in a heartbeat if one was available right now. The Pre 3 should be a good compromise for anyone in the hunt for a slab device in the 4" and above size range but personally I am not a fan of slide out keyboards and with the virtual keyboard revolution that the iPhone was primarily responsible for, I think most expect now for there smartphones in that size range to have a virtual keyboard.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Me too.

I am hoping for possibly a Pre2+. (same size, same form factor, enhanced performance - Pre3 like performance).

I agree in saying the current Pre is the perfect size in hand....butou are somehwhat limited in screen and kayboard...id totallt consider a pre2 plus over pre3 but I doubt ou will see that.

I think pre 3 might be a bit big for my tastes...but you gotta have some tradeoffs
    Bring back the centro name, it would be perfect name for midsize phone. The pre2 is perfect for me. Almost every decision that hp makes has me scratching my head.
    1. getting rid of the palm name
    2. getting rid of the mid size phone for a giant and a midget
    3. Refusal to give us a onscreen keyboard at least for landscape, it is just ridiculous to have to turn the phone around to type a few characters
    4. Getting rid of gesture area on touchpad
    5. refusal to sue blackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    One thing I have been wondering about is this...if the pre2 launched with a 3.1 inch screen...and the pre3 launches with a 3.6 inch screen....does that mean the 3.1 inch pre is done after this round of devices? I mean the pre 4 cant come out with a 3.1 inch screen again..that would be silly....or maybe they keep the 3.1 and the 3.6 inch screen and name the phones different names...(ditch the pre name for both)

...or maybe the next go around has a radical rediesgn so none of the names or screen sizes will matter anyway...which might be a good indication as to why the pre3 was named the pre3 in the first place...

Personally i really love the design and form factor of these phones and would be kinda bummed if they were changed radically...
    Yeah, I enjoy having a phone that does not look and feel like every other square slab out there. I have tried some of the other phones and they don't feel as good in my hand as the pre2 does.
    When did HP say the Pre 2 is dead - I can see pushing the big and small, but keeping the Pre 2 - even upgrading it to keep the range -makes sense
    the form factor of the Pre is perfect. It is the most logical form factor. Landscape keyboard are just too far apart. Slow to type on. Uncomfortable.

I have been waiting for a Pre 3 form factor for a very long time now. A large screen and a portrait keyboard. Perfect.

The thing that I hate most is the decision to move away from TI processors. Qualcomm just doesn't have the power management or power in general to perform well. I think it will be fast, but the battery life will still be an issue. Look at the HTC devices. They all have the qualcomm chips and they have the worst battery life of any android devices. Also, they largely lack in graphics performance.

I am very worried about performance because of the decision to go with Qualcomm. I guess we will see and find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Me too.

I would have to say that I agree with you. I was wondering recently what the difference in performance would be between a Pre 2 over-clocked to 1.4 GHz (same speed as the Pre 3) compared to a native Pre 3, given that the Pre 2 runs the TI OMAP 3630 and the Pre 3 runs the Snapdragon.

Does anyone have any idea?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Pre 2 has 2.5 times fewer pixels to render than the Pre 3.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    When did HP say the Pre 2 is dead - I can see pushing the big and small, but keeping the Pre 2 - even upgrading it to keep the range -makes sense
    I didn't say the pre 2 is dead..im saying that one of 2 things has to happen next go around...either they change the pre name or they drop the 3.1 inch form factor...its obvious because the pre3 was titled the pre 3 and not something else....how could the pre4 go back to 3.1 it wouldn't make sense...unless they ditched the pre name or the 3.1 moving fwd.
  11.    #11  
    A few commwntsa on these:

1. getting rid of the palm name

This i also dont like but i understand. HP wants to integrate webos into their entire line of PCs and Printers and having PALM a different name would cause brand and customer confusion. Also HP brings a name many many more people are familiar with and happy with. They are the #1 pc manufacturer

2. getting rid of the mid size phone for a giant and a midget

They havnt gotten rid of the pre2 yet...maybe they aren't....and id have to hold a pre 3 to know for sure....remember with a 16x9 screen now and the thinner profile it might not be too bad...gotta wait to see it.

3. Refusal to give us a onscreen keyboard at least for landscape, it is just ridiculous to have to turn the phone around to type a few characters

Yeah this one is tricky...maybe with the new screen size of pre 3 and this mysterious new slab phone well see this soon.

4. Getting rid of gesture area on touchpad

This one i get....the blackberry playbook is small...its 7 inches...the bezel is in your reach always....the bigger touchpad would not benefit so much for the gesture area.....it would add a bit of usability issues....well have to see to know for sure....but i think i understand this one.

5. refusal to sue blackberry

I wouldn't count this out yet....a lot of patent suits are really really old...i think the reasoning is its better to sue when your company has a lot more on the line....bb playbook is new and not many units have shipped...in 2 years if they are still ripping off HP IP then would be the perfect time to sue....a lot more money invested and a lot more to lose.