1.    #1  
    I'm thinking seriously about trying to go the pre2 on Sprint route. One question that I cannot seem to find an answer to is which donor pre2 is better - unlocked GSM or Verizon? The GSM is $40 more than the Verizon (HP website - I have a $200 off dev coupon) and the only advantage I can think of is that I could buy a prepaid sim card with a GSM and really test the pre2 before committing to the frankenpre operation.

Any other advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?
    I'ts much simpler software speaking to use a GSM Pre2.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    In my opinion, there's absolutely no difference at all. The only difference it makes is which Doctor you use after you've swapped the comm boards. I find either one to be equally as easy to do.
    Will he be able to go to 2.1 either way? I could update OTA to 2.1 on my Sprint Pre 2 with a GSM donor, but I'm not sure on a Verizon donor, since Verizon is still stuck on 2.0.1.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Unlocked gsm for sure. You wont have to wait for verizon for updates, I got a 2.1 update within a week even thought it was already running 2.1. Plus you wont have that huge verizon logo on the mirror, if you care.
    Go with the gsm model. I have a verizon=>sprint pre 2 and it's great except for the whole I have to wait until verizon releases an official update to 2.1.
  7.    #7  
    I'm going to do the GSM version. I like not being a slave to verizon for updates...and I forgot about the big v logo on the mirror too :-) Thanks all!
    I just did the Sprint frankenPre on my unlocked GSM Pre 2. It is kind of a pain, but very doable. Just give yourself half a day. You have to download a lot of stuff, including Ubuntu.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Look on ebay. They have brand new in box pre 2 gsm for like 299 free shipping...i was looking to do the same thing. Love webos too much to leave...might as well hack a decent phone onto sprint.
    I just recently did the franken sprint pre2 and not only was it pretty easy, but I don't think it matters which one you use. I found a local verizon pre2 on cl for 220 and when I meta-doctored it it came up as 2.1 and from what I understand I will get the ota updates as soon as they come out. The pre2 is awesome, you will love it. In prep for the actual surgery to both units I watched a video on YouTube that does a great job. Type in "sprint pre plus" on YouTube and it's this 11min and 50sec video with a guy with uncomfortably long fingernails :/. Great video, watched it about 5 times an had no problems switching my comm boards

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    I just recently did the franken sprint pre2 and not only was it pretty easy, but I don't think it matters which one you use. I found a local verizon pre2 on cl for 220 and when I meta-doctored it it came up as 2.1 and from what I understand I will get the ota updates as soon as they come out. The pre2 is awesome, you will love it. In prep for the actual surgery to both units I watched a video on YouTube that does a great job. Type in "sprint pre plus" on YouTube and it's this 11min and 50sec video with a guy with uncomfortably long fingernails :/. Great video, watched it about 5 times an had no problems switching my comm boards

Ken
    yes his nails are long. Wow. Great video...I've been told by pastorrich1, the creator of the franken pre guide, that from a hardware swap perspective, the verizon one is easier to do and doesnt require taking off the full back board.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Well, long fingernails do help!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13.    #13  
    Based on all the above, it looks like I can alter my plans a bit:
    1) don't cut my finger nails for 6 months
    2) get the verizon pre2 instead of the unlocked gsm and save some $
    3) use the webosinternals script to bring the sprint/verizon frankenpre up to webos 2.1
    4) donate to webosinternals for all the amazing work they do :-)

I might add a step 1a) buy a broken pre off ebay to practice disassembly.
    One thing you do wanna do though is follow webos internals write up by popping out the volume rocker switch and removing the ribbon cable from the back part of the pre. The guy in the video doesnt do this and I have heard of people breaking the cable up there. Its also easy to do and the write explains it Very easy, dont worry about buying an old pre to practice on...just watch the video a few times and take your time.

Ken